xisto Community
beeseven

Adding More Packages After Install Is Done? Linux (CentOS 4.2)

I recently installed CentOS 4.2 on an old computer of mine and then I realized that I needed a few more packages than I selected during installation. I need some of the Developer Tools packages (mainly gcc for compiling stuff).

Is it possible to use the install CDs to get the packages now or do I have to reinstall? It's not connected to the internet so I can't get them there, and I've tried using yum but that seems to want the net, too.

Edit: Added OS to description for clarification

Edited by beeseven (see edit history)

I recently installed CentOS 4.2 on an old computer of mine and then I realized that I needed a few more packages than I selected during installation. I need some of the Developer Tools packages (mainly gcc for compiling stuff).

Is it possible to use the install CDs to get the packages now or do I have to reinstall? It's not connected to the internet so I can't get them there, and I've tried using yum but that seems to want the net, too.

Edit: Added OS to description for clarification

ya can u tell on which basic system is cent0s based... debian mandriva or suse??

if its debian, then just insert ur cd, and search for all the fiels named with the extension *.deb...

once u get the file u want then go to terminal and type the following

dpkg -i /-----------
-------= the location of ther directory... and it will automatically install it...