xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zach101

Good Java Books?

Hey guys I plan to start learning Java soon and was wondering if you could direct me on some good Java based programing books. I think im gonna get Java for dummies probebly because thats always a good book at least in my opinion(ive always liked the dummie books) especialy when your jsut starting out. However do you know of any other good books? I was also wondering if you knew of any good online turtorials as well, I noticed on w3 they have JavaSCRIPT but not java turtorials and since i Know nothing about java I just relized I should ask the question do you need a compiler? And if so are there any good open source ones I could Download. Thanks in advance.

I have one of the Dietel & Dietel books, those are pretty good and it was about at my learning pace.

Java does need a compiler and a runtime environment. The latter comes from Sun (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). There are lots of compilers but my favorite is JGrasp (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/), which was, interestingly, made in Java.

I agree with beeseven. The Deitel and Deitel book is the probably the best to use if you want to learn Java. I don't know anything about the Java for Dummies book but based from the title I guess if you don't have any background in programming, I recommend you go with the Java for Dummies book. Deitel and Deitel books are pretty inscrutable for starting programmers. I tried learning Java in high school using Deitel and Deitel and completely did not understand anything I was reading. For instance, I found it hard, as a starting programmer - someone with no prior experience in programming, to understand his explanation in first part (chapter 2 I think) on why you have to use the static method in java applications. The thing is, if you're the type who does not just accept some fundamental things as they are taught to you, it would be hard to understand the next few chapters which are built on the fundamental things you learn in the first few lessons. It's just now that I am in college, more than 3 years since I first tried to learn java, that I understood what actually going on. Just a note.

I am using Sun's compiler javac and jvm to compile and run my programs. you can download it from the sun website (just google it, I don't know the exact address).

I think javatutorial from sun's web site is enough for learn java from scratch. It contains how to program simple java program like hello world. Give you concept of Object Oriented Programming, then it tels you how to build a UI using swing. and at the end of tutorial they give you somethings smell's Enterprise programming like RMI (Remote Method Invocation). I Learn java from sun java tutorial and still i used it when i need some basic concept that i forgot.

Hey guys I plan to start learning Java soon and was wondering if you could direct me on some good Java based programing books. I think im gonna get Java for dummies probebly because thats always a good book at least in my opinion(ive always liked the dummie books) especialy when your jsut starting out. However do you know of any other good books?
I was also wondering if you knew of any good online turtorials as well, I noticed on w3 they have JavaSCRIPT but not java turtorials and since i Know nothing about java I just relized I should ask the question do you need a compiler? And if so are there any good open source ones I could Download. Thanks in advance.

Well, I think the besk java that i've read is "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Using JAVA" by Allen B. Downey. Even if you never touch programming, this highly recommended to you!. I read the PDF version of this book.And the second book that i highly recommended to you is "Thinking in Java 3rd Edition" By Bruce Eckel. I've learn so much from his book!. The book that i read is on HTML format!.Sorry, but I forgot the download link, you may find it using GOOGLE! :D

Hi!Do you understand german? There is a really good german book about Java: "Java ist auch eine Insel". It gives a overview about each aspect of the language and also detailed information combined with a lot of examples which I think are the most important things in a book about a programming language. Without examples it is very difficult to understand some things. So just give it a try. Greetings, staph

Hey guys I plan to start learning Java soon and was wondering if you could direct me on some good Java based programing books. I think im gonna get Java for dummies probebly because thats always a good book at least in my opinion(ive always liked the dummie books) especialy when your jsut starting out. However do you know of any other good books?
I was also wondering if you knew of any good online turtorials as well, I noticed on w3 they have JavaSCRIPT but not java turtorials and since i Know nothing about java I just relized I should ask the question do you need a compiler? And if so are there any good open source ones I could Download. Thanks in advance.

<Thinking in Java> Sec. Endition. this author is BRUCE ECHKEL, you can visit the website

https://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=thinkinginjava&e=com

it's the first book that i pick when i still in the college. and i think it's really a good book for java beginner.