xisto Community
Madkat-Z

Modern Day Movies What happen to the good old days...

Ok, this is my first offical thread I'm posting, so hopefully I'm doing this right. Anyway, this is a rant I've had for a few years now. Being a fan of horror movies, I tend to notice things like set design, storyline, and just over all film value. I've been watching more modern films and I've been wondering, "What in the world has happen to modern day movies?" They don't even really build sets any more, just grab a CGI guy put your actors in front of a green/blue screen and your good to go. I can understand for some sets, but not all of them. :rolleyes: The other thing is I don't see the quailty put into the film as in older films. I swear, sometimes they just throw things in front of the camera and don't even think about placement. They even forget to remove things such as cell phones off the set when they are doing a movie takes place in 1900's. Another thing that bugs me is is can't they even come up with a storyline that doesn't involve some sort of a sexual based scene? It drives me insane when they have to show that type of thing going on, especially when it doesn't even have any use in the plot. I know sex sells, but a longer movie is more likely flop now adays. I'm just wondering what others might think on this issue or if I'm the only one who seems to care about this topic. Does anyone else miss the good old days of film making? :lol:

Edited by Madkat-Z (see edit history)

I have noticed alot of that, I also notice in some newer movies that are meant to be horror movies but are so stupid and corny that it makes me laugh like the movie Mortuary. lol. But i agree with the sex in basically every movie rated M15+. Alot of movies these days involve a sex act of some sort in it even if it dont fit in with storyline. I especially h8 watching sex scenes with parents in room as it's awkward but as you said "sex sells"Thats all I got to say on the topic at this time

The sex scene thing has been going on since they started allowing nudity in less than x-rated films, back in the early 70's maybe. And back then, they showed much more durnig PG rated movies. It's weird how what is acceptable for each rating has changed over the years.I do agree with you about how they don't care to much about plots now that they can use so many special effects. That gets annoying.

Horror movies are my favorite. I haven't had the opportunity to see many older ones, but I have noticed that the majority, if not all of the recent "horror" movies are more of something to laugh at than be scared by. I can't actually remember the last time I watched a movie and was scared.. actually, I don't know if thats ever happened.I'm not sure if its the special effects or the bad actors, or the complete lack of realism in the plot, or some combination of those reasons, but somehow, the movies that are supposed to be scary just..aren't. If I ever manage to find one that does scare me, it'll be my favorite movie..But I don't really see that happening any time soon.

People don't realize that you can make a good movie without fancy effects and CGI. Just look at 2001:A space odyssey to see what you can do without fancy effects and explicit content and still get a good movie.

Another thing that bugs me is is can't they even come up with a storyline that doesn't involve some sort of a sexual based scene? It drives me insane when they have to show that type of thing going on, especially when it doesn't even have any use in the plot. I know sex sells, but a longer movie is more likely flop now adays.

You are so right about these movies nowadays!!! Especially sex/love scenes are annoying the hell outta me man! I mean I cant even watch a movie without people having sex or those scenes were they show people kissing eachother for 5 minutes or something. I mean their in love, I GET THE POINT you know, 5 minutes of kissing and licking and slimy things is not necessary! Sometimes its just totally off subject too.

Next I cant even watch a animated movie without kissing and stuff. That really annoyes me.
But like you said Madkat, that they even forget to put cellphones and such away when makin a movie made in 1900's! Ahahaha Thats sooo wack. I mean I understand the movie world is not as good as it was back in da days now with illegal dvd's and all, but a little bit quality is not wrong.

yeah it is a shame the way movies rely on the stars in the movie and special effects rather than good acting and engaging stories, one big example is the new star wars movies, they sucked compared to the old ones, sure they were fun to watch but i wouldn\'t go and watch them again like i do with the originalsalso with horror movies a lot of them are just amusing and not scary at all. they should call them horrodies instead

I have noticed alot of that, I also notice in some newer movies that are meant to be horror movies but are so stupid and corny that it makes me laugh like the movie Mortuary.

Well I didn't think Mortuary was that corny, but the plot line near the end got rather dumb.

Well I'm rather glad so many people actually agree with on alot of points I brought up. I really miss the days of old black and white film, because you can do so much with black and white that you can't do with color. I still think modern day directors should take advantage of black and white film and not just for flash backs either (Eg: House of Wax). If you just watch the movie Psycho, Hitchcock did so much with the film in black and white that you could never do in color.

One thing I didn't mention in my original post was the fact of how inaccurate movies based off of books actually are. The new version of the musical The Phantom of the Opera is utterly nothing like the book. The original silent movie was more accurate to the book then modern version.

I also love Horror movies, and I don't mind the sex scenes. Some of my favorite recent horror movies are "Ghost Ship," all of the "Final Destination" movies, Saw, and probably Saw II when I see it! I can't remember the last corny horror movie that I've seen (maybe Silver Bullet) but I'm sure I've seen tons! Did anybody like the Mini-Series "Kingdom Hospital?" ~ My bride and I loved it ~ I bought the series on DVD!//Captain.Jerry/

I also love Horror movies, and I don't mind the sex scenes. Some of my favorite recent horror movies are "Ghost Ship," all of the "Final Destination" movies, Saw, and probably Saw II when I see it! I can't remember the last corny horror movie that I've seen (maybe Silver Bullet) but I'm sure I've seen tons! Did anybody like the Mini-Series "Kingdom Hospital?" ~ My bride and I loved it ~ I bought the series on DVD!

//Captain.Jerry/

I've only seen a few episodes of Kingdom Hospital, but not enough to say that I've really "seen it", but I would like to see the series. I tend to keep away from Series, because I'm not the type of person who likes to wait 24 hours to see the next episode.

I've only seen a few episodes of Kingdom Hospital, but not enough to say that I've really "seen it", but I would like to see the series. I tend to keep away from Series, because I'm not the type of person who likes to wait 24 hours to see the next episode.

LOL... Dang, I'm like that with LOST now! They've had so many repeats. But mini-series are okay, 'cuz ya' know that there will be an end to them, at some point. I may get into watching "Surface" but I dunno... Was "The Triangle" a series thing, or a movie? I'd kinda like to see that too...

//Captain.Jerry/

LOL... Dang, I'm like that with LOST now! They've had so many repeats. But mini-series are okay, 'cuz ya' know that there will be an end to them, at some point. I may get into watching "Surface" but I dunno... Was "The Triangle" a series thing, or a movie? I'd kinda like to see that too...
//Captain.Jerry/

I think Triangle was a series. Anyway, that's why I don't watch Series any more, at least on TV, because I miss a episode and I'm wondering what happened to half the people in the cast.

I think Triangle was a series. Anyway, that's why I don't watch Series any more, at least on TV, because I miss a episode and I'm wondering what happened to half the people in the cast.

Good point, I've been sticking to watching Series stuff on DVD's ~ Maybe ya' gotta wait a while to get them, but... No commercials, no missing an episode, no having to watch an entire episode if ya' don't have the time, and I can turn the TV down and read the captions when the kids are in bed! LOL

Good point, I've been sticking to watching Series stuff on DVD's ~ Maybe ya' gotta wait a while to get them, but... No commercials, no missing an episode, no having to watch an entire episode if ya' don't have the time, and I can turn the TV down and read the captions when the kids are in bed! LOL

Yeah thats how I managed to survive watching all 9 seasons of X-Files. Not that its a bad series, its just when your obessed with a series it helps to save as much time as you can when you go to watch it.

I like the movies from the older days much better. I think it's because the actors they had back then were much better then today's. They even made the historical films such as with the Ancient Romans much better in the older films. I think the actors and directors back then were much better and more creative.