xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
savge17

My Flash Sig

I made a new flash sig. I really think this is awesome, to embed your own flash sig into your signature. Only bad thing is that every forum has disabled the .swf extension and/or the HTML tags, sigh why is this? Flash is about 100x's better than using crappy old GIF. I think its time we roll into the new level of animation sigs, a.k.a. flash. Here is my flash sig:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Its really simple and fun to do. This took me very little effort so imagine what could be accomplished with flash SIGS!

In the near future my one hope is to see forums enabling the .swf extensions and html codes.

Nice sig in Flash, but GIF isnt all that "crappy"! You're GIF sigs look better than the flash. And BTW, the mouseover for quote did not work :rolleyes: in the flash sig.

whenever I make a gif animated sig, I have to throw away my hard work because the graphics colors got ruined so badly. And for the mouse-over try turning up your volume! :rolleyes: If that doesent work then i dunno.

Check it again, ive made it alot better. Now all ya have to do is click where it says to!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by savge17 (see edit history)

Your Flash sig is a very good example of WHY most forums don't allow SWF files on their forums. That sig is 3.48Mb in size. Imagine if several posters on the same page had sigs like that? A person on a dial-up connection would never be able to get the page to load. As a rule of thumb, with a dial-up connection it takes around 5 minutes to download 1 megabyte, therefore, your sig alone would take over 15 minutes to download. More than just a little ridiculous don't you think?

Your Flash sig is a very good example of WHY most forums don't allow SWF files on their forums. That sig is 3.48Mb in size. Imagine if several posters on the same page had sigs like that? A person on a dial-up connection would never be able to get the page to load. As a rule of thumb, with a dial-up connection it takes around 5 minutes to download 1 megabyte, therefore, your sig alone would take over 15 minutes to download. More than just a little ridiculous don't you think?

Most forums would limit the size for the sig, I mean a 3 Megabyte sig itself would indeed be ridiculous expecially with a bunch of people browsing the same area. If you click on the Flash sig youll notice I put in a song. That song itself is about 1 1/2 megabytes. Getting rid of this uneeded file will thus eliminate file size, it will be much smaller. I still dont see why forums do this even if you can limit the size for the files. They do this with images, so why not flash? well Until a new type of file type comes out, making high quality animation sigs into a reality might be a little longer of a wait. Ive never had luck with Gif animated sigs. Is it just me or is the quality just unberable to look at.

-But I have to admit, With more than one person using an animated sig with flash, things could possibly get quite "slow" and laggy.

Ah dial-up. Its ridiculous how many people I run into still using dial-up. As for that goes, ISP providers need to offer a more variety for areas of availability. The prices for DSL are good these days. But it still angers me how ISP providers still dont do the things that they are capable of and offer a more wide area of service.. just a thought.

Ive never had luck with Gif animated sigs. Is it just me or is the quality just unberable to look at.

Yes, maintaining quality with animated sigs can be difficult, but not impossible. The trick is to use careful color selection and try not to use gradients. Even so, animated gifs can look quite good sometimes.

Here's a few I made a while ago with Paintshop Pro.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As for Flash, I haven't made anything for quite a while, but here's a couple I have made.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (An interactive book for a roleplaying game)

http://tempest.2ya.com/flash/promo_small.html (A promotional movie with sound for an old ISP that I made a long time ago, 1.5mb download and contains rampant plagiarism) :rolleyes:

Edited by Avalon (see edit history)