xisto Community
Laos

Making Tobacco Illegal petition

Unfortunately, web petitions hold little legal power, in the US anyways. If you seriously want tobacco to be illegalized you'll need to petition with a pen and paper.I agree that tobacco should be illegalized. It's very unhealthy. At least with marijuana you won't have lung cancer - chemicals in the marijuana plant kill cancerous cells before they can develop into something nasty.On the other hand, legalizing drugs actually prevent people from wanting to use them more than illegalization. The netherlands allows people to smoke marijuana, though little of the population actually use drugs - significantly less than the US percentage wise.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

I don't think making tobacco illegal would do much good.Many people like to be contratry, and if tobacco was to be made illegal, it would only lead to more people, and teenagers in particular, getting hold of some and smoking it just to be cool.I agree that it's very bad for your own health and for that of those who live and work close to you... So I think the UK have got it right to a point. Smoking - smoking anything for that matter - has been banned from public places. You can smoke in your own home, and out in the open, but not in enclosed places where people meet such as bars and restaurants.There has been much grumbling by the smokers when this law came into action a few years back. But people seem to have adapted pretty well to it. The only solution is to have rooms for smokers and rooms for non-smokers, but it might stretch some businesses...So, sorry Laos, but you won't get my signature to make tobacco illegal.

Hey all,
I recently Put up a Petition at petitionspot.com, its name is Make Tobacco Illegal, the name says it all

My goal is a million signatures, which is big, and i was wondering if anyone here dislikes tobacco and these big companies like Phillip J Morris who have people killed by their products just to make a buck, heres your chance to make a change

5 minutes to sign and sign, thats nothing compared to time that could be saved if this petition marks a hole somwhere

the link is here
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

and if your not so sure about signing, below is a few facts about tobacco

Tobacco IS just as bad as weed or any other drug that you buy off a drug dealer, in fact, its worse because its legal, its not good with such a disgusting thing legal

Think about this, would you ever even swallow this junk?
Cyanide ( Poisonous chemical)
Nail Polish Remover
Rat Poop
Well guess what, every time you chew, spit, or light one up, your swallowing a dose of that s*it
and so is your best friend without the filter

How would you like having a really bad cough all day for the rest of your life, looking and smelling terrible, and passing out going on 10 flights of stairs.

Well these are all in a Marlboro, or a Camel, or Parliament, they all cause these effects

If your still not satisfied, dont sign, noones pushign you, and noone rant here, theres no point in it

That's it. You're another one out to ostracize tobacco users.
Let's just forget about habits that are just as bad if not worse,
such as Alcohol, and gambling. Things which have caused
probably more misery.

Another thing is, people blame all the cancer deaths on tobacco.
Historically one in three people have always died of cancer. One could
say that cancer is just about as natural a cause of death as could be.
Also, with the vast amounts of people quitting smoking, then why has
the cancer rate risen? I mean, fewer people are smoking right?
Yet blame it all on tobacco. Let's not blame industrial waste at all.

Also, in Canada you see these pictures of rotting lungs and rotting
mouths on cigarette boxes. Now the whole thing is, unfortunately,
I've been a smoker for a long time. I've never seen a picture of my lungs yet
they couldn't be that bad though. Why?
Compare my teeth to the ones on the cigarette boxes.
I have all my teeth except for one wisdom tooth. My teeth look great. So maybe this guy on the cigarette box
just didn't brush his teeth. Simple as that. I know many non smokers
with very bad dental hygiene. Blame it on tobacco again?
Maybe the guy with the rotted lungs smoked 4 packs a day. Most don't
though. Maybe he worked in a mine.

Admittedly it is a bad habit I would like to quit, but it is the most
addictive substance on the planet. Personally I wish people wouldn't
ostracize smokers so much.
There's much worse people : animal poachers, thieves, rapists,terrorists, pedophiles etc.

The government could also stop the ridiculously high taxes.

Just a thought.

The government won't make tobacco illegal because they make so much money off it.

Now that's hitting the nail with a hammer! Have you any idea how much more the average person would have to "cough up" (pun intended) if there was no more tobacco tax coming in?

And what about the farmers that raise tobacco? Going to put them on welfare? Don't even suggest they raise some other crop, most (small) farmers aren't making a big enough profit from their corn/soybeans/cattle to keep their taxes paid, let alone pay for the future forced health insurance our president is going to shove down our throats.

Oh yes, and what about medicinal purposes for tobacco? Did you know it's a wonderful cure for toothache?

And, besides, with all the illegal drugs that literally destroy the lives of people in a matter of a very sort span of time, why concern yourself with smokers who smoke for years and years and don't have any side effects? There are a lot of things out there that are one hell of a lot worse than tobacco.

I think 1 million signatures will be way to hard to achieve. It's unlikely that 1 million people will ever visit your page. I agree with you that smoking is a bad habit, I think its worse than weed. In fact the only reason pot smokers **** up their health so much is because of the tobacco that they smoke with it, and also the fact that some of them become to lazy to look after themselves and live a lifestyle that is very unhealthy.

Unfortunately,I did research,and marijuana, while having less tar has three times as many carcinogens in it's smoke than tabaccoo based products.

These are all good point.And me I've been a smoker for about a year,and I can't say I agree with your movement to outlaw cigarettes for a two reasons.Such as the fact that,as a few people have mentioned repeatedly(not trying to sound like a clone but...)There are more destructive things out in society,but those usually affect people with a chemical imbalance resulting in an addictive personality.That includes the vices such as Alcohol,Tabacco,Drugs(Legal and Illegal alike) Sex,Gambling,and the Internet,just to name afew off the top of my head.I mention the internet as an addictive item because of the recent tragedy in Korea with the starvation of a child due to an addiction to myspace.And my second reason is this, Making cigarettes illegal won't change anything, factories that produce smoke can be more harmful han cigarettes and to top it off,cigarettes while being the secondmost addictive substance on earth(Herione being the most addictive ,and destructive)should instead of being made illegal,maybe should have more restrictions,or even have the current restrictions better enforced( I can't count the number of time some of my underage[14-17] friends smoke with me and my of age friends at the mall) That would be a better use of a petition,not to out right ban themin fact I want to start a petition to enforce cigarette regulation and restrictions .

I see this is your 66 post. Perhaps it should be post 666.These solutionists with all the quick answers.You know,there are a lot of problems in the world, and just making something illegal like that is no solution.Tobacco is the most addictive substance in the world.Blame tobacco for all the disease. Let's forget about car fumes and industrial waste.Wouldn't you be better off posting an anti crack rant,or something on anti violence against women?That's your solution? Just make it illegal.Right?It wouldn't stop it anyway. There's way too much of a black market.

And just who do you think is going to pay all the taxes to support this country if there is no more tabacco tax? But at any rate, since when does making something illegal put a stop to it? Look at all the laws we have in the world now and still our jails are filled to overflowing with people who break those laws. In some cases, makeing laws makes a problem actually get worse, not better.

Sheepdog has a good point. As much of a bad rap tobacco has, it really fuels the economies of several nations simply due to absurd taxes levied against the product.I totally agree with HoRuS though. Tobacco is a choice people make for themselves, and while it may have an affect on others in congested areas, in almost all cases that is something people can choose to do something about (i.e leave the company of the smoker or ask him or her to put it out in their presence). There are many things that negatively affect air pollution and the world for the worse that should be addressed before the the choices each human being makes for himself or herself.Basically, if tobacco were to be made illegal, it would only produce more criminals; it won't change society's desire for it. The best thing to do is to work on continuing to educate people about its health risks and consequences. Some may call this method naive, but it actually works in America, where the number of smokers has dropped significantly in the past fifty years and now hovers around roughly 20%.I think the best thing to do is to just make a personal choice to avoid it. Wanting to illegalize what other people do should only be considered when it actually has a pronounced affect on your wealth being and freedom. Tobacco, whatever others may say about it, does neither and will continue to remain a choice that adults can make for themselves.