xisto Community
scab_dog

Typos: Do You Have Problems With Them? I make lts of typos

Ok, I'll type this topic really really slow, so i dont make any typos.Yep..If you go through all my history of posts and topics you will find at least 10 typos in a single post. ANd if you went to an extenct to look at my website, well you'll be on it for a long time counting how many typos i have made.I type really fast, and i do mean fast. When i do it in word, i just run the spell check and BAM its all fixed. But when i do it in other programs which dosent have Spell Check, i makes lots of typos.I think i know what some of you would say, preview it before posting. But for some unseen reason i have this reflex of hitting the RETURN button as soon as i have finished typing it.This annoys me a lot, i'm not a bad speller, it is just that my fingers keep on hitting the wrong button, just say i think of writing "toilet" when i type it fast i usually type it "tiolte" or something like that.Ohh and i dont touch type, lets say that i know where every keys are, and i use just four fingers to type everything.I would like to know if there is a way of fixing this, and if you have similar problems.And ohh, forgive my typos during this topic, and yep i made something for my signature.

Hey, well i don't come across "typos" in my case since i use a t9 feature on my mobile when i come here..I usually come here through my mobile when i am travelling..I only use my computer when i have to do some editing work which i can't do with my mobile.Well also when i am on pc i usually tend to make no mistakes cause i type really very very slow :-)

A typo or two is ok, everybody does it, no problem sometimes you miss a typo, but if there are 5 typos in 6 words something is wrong and it is plain annoying. There's something called backspace, very useful in such cases. Also if you don't touch-type you should be able to read the post while you type it and see the typos immediately and fix them using backspace without having to take a hand of the keyboard to reposition the cursor.There's one thing which is more annoying than typos: grammar mistakes. Some poeple seriously need to go back to school...Also, you can edit your own posts after they are posted... that way if you hit submit and find a mistake aferwards you can still correct it.

Edited by Blacklaser (see edit history)

Typos are usually made. Well, the most frequent kind of typos I make in english are just because this is not my native language, but I am almost obsesed with good ortography in spanish. It?s something very common in these days with internet and sms that people are starting to write awfully, not to talk about the spelling... so I think we must be careful if we don?t want our languages to become extinct as we know them.

Edited by Sprnknwn (see edit history)

Sorry, couldn't resist ...

I've never really had a problem with typos, unless its so bad you can't make coherant sence out of what they typed. However, I would be making alot more typos if I didn't have the Google Toolbar.

Google toolbar escapees:
coherant = coherent ??
sence = sense ??
alot = a lot ?? :rolleyes:

For some unknown reason I find it easy to spot typos, they crop up everywhere, not just on forums. It always surprises me to find typos on established websites though, even if it is Sod's law that the hardest typos to spot are your own. I have a very relaxed view of typos and bad grammar on a forum, usually there are so many posts by people whose first language is not english, I would far rather those people post and not have them feeling discouraged in any way. Besides, I can only speak one language, would that I was clever enough to speak more than one.

As for typing fast vs. typing typos, typing fast wins every time in my book, nothing like being able to express your thoughts in some speedy manner; and has been mentioned, there are ways to clean up the spelling mistakes.

...there are ways to clean up the spelling mistakes.

Well, since we are relying so much on spell-checkers and such, is ther any point in learning good grammer and spelling in the first place?

yep, i'm betting that i;m going to make typos while i type this post. I dont care about grammer, but i do find that when i read through my post, i find that i use a lot more commas than full stops. Dunno it just comes to me.ANd when i type i just stare at the keyboard and type, i dont look up even when i'm deleting, i just know what to delete. I type it, then i hit enter. And BAM it is posted and i go through it and i find thousands of typos.I dont make 5 typos in 6 words or something like that, but it is more like 5 in a paragraph.Most of my spelling is right, as i dont use "big" words. But more of just hitting two buttons at the same time. And if you are wondering my fingers arent stuby.

dion't you tihnk thi si anoying? just take the time to type a post that doesn't have like 5 typos. i personally find them annoying. sure i make maybe one or two typos in a post every now and then. it helps if you learn how to touch type. then you can see your mistakes as you're typing so you can easily correct them.

yse wen yoo makke lotts off tiping mestakes itt cn bee verry anoying.it's not that hard to learn how to type and spell, and is something you should want to do. it can help you in other aspects of life not just posting on forums.

Ok Mik, I can't spell for beans. I was using my works computer, which doesn't have the toolbar installed, hence forth, all the spelling errors. :rolleyes:

M'kat-Z, truth is, I'm not very good at spelling, I kinda rely a bit on google as well ...

Have a read of the following research which I found on the internet:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are. The olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe and the biran fguiers it out aynawy.

I really like this english university's research, reading the above they have not only told you what the research is about, but proved to you that their research conclusion is true, all in the space of a 76 word paragraph. It must be the shortest, quickest research paper of all time. I like the idea of the brain figuring something out by itself, without being told :lol:

So that is what everyone should remember, try and get the first and last letters right and you will be writing perfectly understandable prose, anyone that complains might be an indication that their brain is asleep and not figuring properly.

spell check is your friend (except my spellcheck is often wrong). being a fast typer, it doesnt matter to me, doesnt really slow me down.