xisto Community
matto

Is It Safe To Run A Computer Off A Non-grounded Line? Are there any dangers, and if so how much?

Hey all. The outlets in my room are not grounded, and I want to eventually get a computer up and running in there. Do you think that it is dangerous to do so, and if so, how dangerous is it? Are we talking computer-dying dangerous, electrocuting myself dangerous, or some other kind of dangerous? Thanks, folks.

Erm...I recommend you get grounded outlets for your computer.This is because most power bars/surge protectors need a grounded plug to plug into. If you are not using a surge protector, you are in big trouble :rolleyes:Grounding safely delivers electricity to the ground in case of failure. This is a good feature to have in case something weird happens (which can range from: vehicle hitting utility pole, Hydro One (or whatever your power company is) messes up, storms, bad weather causing lines to fall/snap, emergency power outages, etc). Without grounding, that electricity can act weirdly dangerous, causing the entire wall to burn down.Remember, don't be complacent!I'll edit if I find something else new.

Edited by FirefoxRocks (see edit history)

Yeah but I'm in Frisco, and there's like no lightning storms here.Plus, this would be assuming that I would be able to get an adapter or something to plug the surge protector into an outlet. I'd still use a surge protector.

A lightning storm is just one cause, there are lots, like arcing in high winds, vehicles hitting power poles, the power company screwing with things etc. Surge protectors will probably need a ground as well though I'm not 100% on that as different brands use different ways to protect electronics. A surge protector still may not protect you from getting a lethal zap. Is the whole house not grounded? Cause if not, that is extremely dangerous.... :rolleyes:

I would say get grounded and/or surge protection. If that baby gets a surge or something happens you could fry your computer and/or possibly burn your house down. And that would be bad. Do definantlly get a surge strip and if you can ground your room.

Yeah, most of the house is grounded.But my room isn't... Whether or not there is a grounded outlet, I will use a surge protector.I've just spent some time googling, without many results. Maybe I'm just retarded, but would any of you know aproximately how much it would cost to ground 1 outlet in an already grounded-house?

Sorry, can't help you there unfortunately as I am in New Zealand with different currency, prices and compliance laws. I hope you problem is resolved though (and that your computer doesn't bloiw up :rolleyes:)

Hey no need for grounding. I have been using my computer without grounding for more than 8 years now and nothing has happened till now. Its safe. I dont run even a single appliance in my house with ground. Its works without ground too

Will you be saying that when your house burns down or you get electrocuted in your shower? Just because something hasn't happened in 8 years doesn't mean it won't or can't. So you might think to yourself, "Why should I listen to her? I've been fine all this time and she's not an expert anyway." Well if you won't take my advice then listen to the fire department and registered electricians - get your house grounded! Here in New Zealand, it's illegal to build a house ungrounded and with good reason - IT'S DANGEROUS!

STOP RIGHT THEREDo NOT use a computer without a grounded outlet.I would recommend that before you buy a computer get an electrician in there and update your electrical equipment. The main reason is a power surge. It may not sound that bad but especially in a place with older electrical equipment it can be dangerous. Not only to a computer but to any electrical equipment. It can supply to much power to it and short it out.If you were to have a power surge without a grounded outlet where is the power going to go? To the board and all other parts of the computer and it will most likely be 100% shot without a single salvageable part.

You wouldnt wanna loose a priced possesion like a computer within a twinkle of an eye. I recomend you go and have the electrical outlets in your room grounded just to be on the safe side.You never can tell.

If your home experiences a power surge, and your equipment isn't grounded, then your computer will short out (or fry in other words). Having a ground gives the excess electricity a place to go, other than through a shorted circuit.Having a surge protector and a grounded line each accomplish their own thing, but work together. Your computer has a ground of its own if it is connected to to a grounded outlet, but the surge protector keeps the surge from reaching your computer.Keep in mind that cheapo surge protectors don't do as good of a job at absorbing surges, so go with a good brand like Belkin or APC.