xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
amir691

Suse Linux 10.1

Suse 10.1 is finally out after a long period of beta testing. For those who don't know what Suse is, Suse is a linux operating system. 10.1 is supposed to fix all the problems of suse 10 and also include a new package management system. A commercial version of Suse 10.1 is released and their is also an open source version called openSuse 10.1 that you can download for free. Suse is by the way one of the best linux distributions ever, and thats just an opinion, but a fact. Suse is right with RedHat linux, which is the leader in the linux world.Suse 10.1 has many new features that is supposed to make it even better than it already is.This version of Suse gives you the option to pick Gnome 2.12.2 or KDE 3.5 as your desktop management systems.If you know something interesting abou the new Suse please feel free to comment this post.If you would like to download openSuse 10.1 go to opensuse.org

Suse is good but it isn't good and free anymore. THe opensuse project is not good at all. it only allows 'open source' packages to be included in distro. beyond that it's great for newbies to the linux world. everything is intuitive. I prefer slackware linux which is a little higher end. it has a wide range of features and better control for development and web tasks. such as autconfiguring the php package to work with apache which is very difficult to do in suse because it has a tendency to ovewrite the manually type configuration commands when the yast module containing the 'easy' configuration of the file.

Yeah, I just recently installed SuSE 10.1, and it is making so much difference than 10.0. First of all, I can finally get my ethernet card working through the distro and I finally have internet on the Linux Machine, which means now I can run web servers on a decent operating system :). But it is the easiest distro I have ever used to set up a Samba server, which lets one use Windows networks with Linux machines. I have also been able to install some decent software. The killer is though, that SuSE can make an old Pentium 4 Windows ME machine useable; all it used to do was crash and spit out BSOD and Error messages at me, it was a real pain. I reccommend SuSE to anyone wanting to enter Linux, or anyone who wants an easy replacement for a crappy operating system.

I have always used Suse Linux ever since i started with linux. Now i use OpenSuse 10.1 and it works great. No problems no matter what you do. I even have installed XGL on my old laptop (p3 1.2 ghz and 512 ram) and it runs fine. I love the os and i use it to take notes in class and do hw for classes. I never liked Red Hat because it just didnt work for me. I just didnt like the display nor some of their features so i went to Suse. Use it and you will like it.