xisto Community
wild20

Windows Vista: The Next Os? Will it be?

well, now that vista actually has come out, i hate it @ i reckon it is just awful!i would rant about its awfulness, however maybe i should do that in the vent, because there might be some nasty stuff involved...if you really want a good operating system, then find the linux distribution most suitable for you. i reccommend ubuntu as the best gnome distribution, kubuntu as the best kde.yes, i do believe vista was made to be a copy of mac. if you compare the now released leapard with vista, the similarities are evident.

As for me, i don't try linux. it not forme. But i have 3 OS on my HD: 2 XP - 1 main and second is reserve; Vista - for experiments and some games.

I have vista installed on my comptuer. I upgraded cause my friends had and it became awfully painful trying to lan with 1 xp (me) and 11 vistas. Straight out of the box vista looked aewsome just some minor problems to do with how you had to go to through many menu's to get to shut down(but that wasn't really a problem since my computer rarely shutdowns due to me not having a life) and every time I use something I get this cancel or allow thing, alright I can live with that. Okay so I continued using vista, a few more problems appear - It's hell to find drivers for my devices. I eventually find all my drivers so i continue using it for about a couple of weeks. Then I suddenly notice that vista is chewing up alot of my resources and it seems programs that were relatively unresource heavy suddenly gained a couple of resource pounds. It seems it is not just me that has experience this problem with vista. Fortunately with much resource there are fixes for this. Unfortuantely you have to be decent around a computer to even begin to understand "What the hell they are talking about". Disabling a few services, Disable the UAC(User Account Control), Disable various Security Policies and would look at that all my problems are gone.People if you don't want to do some serious modding to vista so your computer doesn't die from an overweight OS, stick with XP and if you want most of the perks of vista and the compatibility, ease of access and sleekness of XP then either download SP2e or download the XP Black Edition or both. Apparently I've heard that these versions of xp is sorta like a VIXP (vista and XP combined(yes I did make that up on the spot). Due to my laziness and the fact that I have already modded my Vista to the point that it really isnt vista anymore I haven't gone back to XP but as soon as I need a reformat I'll be going back to XP. Unless SP1 has been released which is suppose to have put vista on a diet and made it lost those pounds it gained.PS. this is my first post ... but I saw this topic and just had to post something about it.Oh yeh by the way... windows itself I have been reading was originally based on the macintosh code when they first started out. That may be just some sorta conspiracy theory though Im not sure since I can't get the source code of the mac of that time and windows (the first) - And I agree bthaxor that you can see the similarities in vista when comparing it to leopard you can even see similarities with panther and tiger mac. I know since I use to own a G4 laptop with the Panther MAC OS X. ( Yes I am a huge mac supporter ... before they contracted intell.... there computers have become seriously S**T house)

Edited by shivagf (see edit history)

I tried the first beta of Windows Longhorn (as it was called at the time) and I liked it pretty much. Specially the new windows explorer improvements. But the beta I tried was only good to evaluate its visual components, because when I wanted to try to install any application, it wasn't compatible. But I believe that with the recently released beta 2 it will have more compatibility when installyng applications.
By the way, I heard Windows Vista Beta 2 is not available to the general public yet, but the Beta 2 of Office 2007 can be downloaded here (Official Microsoft Site).

There are people who think this new version of Microsoft Windows is not going to be what was expected, or that it hasn't all the funcionalities announced, but only those who understand the real core improvements that were made (related to programming), and not only the interface or visual improvements as the majority of people thing, can see the real potencial of the new OS.

I already use Vista and Office 2007, and I'm really happy with it, I really recommend it. But u need a good machine, 1GB of RAM isn't enough and a 1.0 Ghz processor isn't enough.

I've a Core 2 Duo @1.5 and 2GB of RAM. And it runs very,very well.