xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arijitsinha99

Php-everywhere

Because of its flexibility and many features, it has been wonderful in developers eyes. Also, because it can interact with other scripts and files, many developers are choosing this. This way they don't have to worry about a lot of scripts. I script in php myself, and it works great. I have never heard of Personal Home Page before though.

I personally want to know more about PHP, because it seems to be more flexible than ASP.NET (correct me if I'm wrong), besides there are more free web hosts that support PHP than ASP.NET

I've been creating websites for quite a few years now and it's only been within the last couple of years that I've actually understood the full capabilities of PHP.

I always used to use html and found it easy to produce pretty good websites, but then got fed up with having to edit the files every time I wanted to update. I wanted something dynamic, something that you don't need access to the ftp server to do. I was then referred to PHP.

I've used php ever since and find it a great language, however, I disagree with lalo's post above. Not a lot of hosts support php like they used to, the main program language now are languages like javascript. The hosts that do support php don't support the databases like MySql.

The php manual (http://php.net/manual/en/introduction.php) contains a lot of background information about php and is quite an interesting read.

Hope this helps :)

Not a lot of hosts support php like they used to, the main program language now are languages like javascript. The hosts that do support php don't support the databases like MySql.

Javascript is local to your computer and has nothing to do with the Web Host, as such, it is called a "client-side" scripting language. Php, on the otherhand is "server-side" and is capable of interacting with the databases in your web hosting account, where javascript is not capable of doing that. Also, the newest version of php is capable of using SQLITE which is included in the install of php if the Host allows php5, so then lacking Mysql is not such a big deal.