xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
matto

The Start Of This Year's Hurricane Season Approaches 6 major storms predicted, 13-14 name storms, 10 within 2006

Alas, this year's hurricane season is approaching. With global warming rising steadily, this season will surely be more violent than usual...

"Although we don't anticipate reaching or exceeding last year's extraordinary tally of storms, these forecast numbers exceed the seasonal average," said Conrad Lautenbacher, head of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Hurricane season officially starts June 1st (which happens to be my birthday...yay). That would be 9 days from now [omg...].

So far 6 major storms are expected to hit the south eastern parts of the United States, and are thought to possibly even reach New York before subsiding.

The past 40 years have averaged 11 named storms with sustained winds of at least 39 mph, six hurricanes and two major hurricanes with winds of 111 mph or higher. More than twice that many storms formed in 2005 during the most intense hurricane season since detailed recordkeeping began in the late 19th century.

Honestly, this is scary. Last year there was sooo many hurricanes, this year there probaly won't be as many but still.... the average is growing. We need to stop this, one hurricane last year (Katrina) did enough damage for one season all by itself... 6 major storms this season could result in who knows what.

pshh forget the hurricanes, california is set to have an earthquake SOO large that it will start nocking us off from the US...then again in 2012 to completley knock us off and under water....so this year outta be fun..cant wait for somthin to happen *laughs* well yeah, the hurricane season is stating and an unfortunate thing that is :)

You mean its JUST NOW starting? I thought it was over? But i would rather have an earthquake. I just watched a really cool movie called 10.5. It was cool. But back to the point at hand. Is it really just starting?

You ever notice how all the Hurricanes and storms and Tornados and all that always seem to happen in the summer?All these disasters are just so heart-wrecking, but I am just glad I do not live anywhere which will be badly affected by them.

Well I live in Florida, Tampa. This morning on the radio I heard that there are supposed to be atleast 16 named storms to hit this year and it is to be the worst season yet. I am not too excited and hopefully I won't have to evacuate or anything. I am just gonna take thigns one day at a time. Hopefully it won't be bad in my area.

I would also like to add that they have now created a category 6, if there ever will be one. Even though most of you have only heard of Hurricane Katrina, last year, there were many other horrible hurricanes. While I was in Houston, there was Hurricane Rita, which evacuated most of the city, making the highways very crowded. With my experience, during hurricanes, a place that would usually take you 5 minutes to go to, could take up to an hour. To sum it up, it was hell. The infamous Hurricane Rita, unfortunately moved to Beaumont, which was where the business factory was which caused a $4 million damage; the insurence refused to pay all of it.I think all these hurricanes should be stopped. I know, it's crazy, but maybe it's possible? Maybe a smart scientist could figure all that out for us and make this world a better place. As far as I know, the government states that they are ready, but we will never know for sure. You, yourself, should be ready. When the news informs of a hurricane, quickly pack-up and be ready to evacuate as soon as possible. Look for possible short-cut routes, so you can avoid heavy traffic.

Edited by BordaForx (see edit history)

better than waiting for someone to tell you Hurricane Jane is coming! runn!! lol, better than packing up and leaving for with everyone else, come up with a plan! a plan can save your life! a plan is all you need!come up with a plan to leave town, a fast route hardly anyone knows about...have emergency kits in the car with spare blankets and pillows, keep a suitcase or a bag somewhere with cltohes in your house so you can grab and go!!my family has a plan like this...we came up with a place to meet, and if there was no place to meet go to someone you know. we have kits in the back of our cars/trucks.. the reason we have this is because we live near wayy to many damns, wayy to many dams that if one breaks we will be flooded up to our hips. but yeah.. lol

The matter that hard winds are already forming in the US with intent to create hurricanes already is having its effect around the globe. I mentioned how I lived in an area where the hurricaines do not affect us - but the truth is, the after effect of them affects everyone. Over here (in the UK), we're already getting bad rain and the occasional storm. And it's getting worse every day - we had a one-hour power cut just a week ago in the area in which I live. I can't think what it will be like in the UK when the hurricaines come to the US... and I just hope that they don't go much further.

hopefully we wont have politics involved in this hurricane season like we did last one. I personally took it as a stab in the back when all the news reporters (accept for fox and a few others) were saying the government wasn't doing anything to help the people of New Orleans. I spent days before the hurricane and weeks after it away from my family down there preparing and getting ready for it. We could have used more but i think everyone regardless of political agenda was doing everything possible at the time.