xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Uentil

What Is Ddos

What is DDoS and how does it mess your server up? A denial-of-service attack (also, DoS attack) is an attack on a computer system or network that causes a loss of service to users, typically the loss of network connectivity and services by consuming the bandwidth of the victim network or overloading the computational resources of the victim system.So basicly, it send alot of commands to the server so no one else can do anything because it is too busy giving command to the person doing the attack, so when you try to go to the site, you get like a 404 error thingy.

wow that was very detailed uentil. dos is also illegal (duh). Often, "hackers" (more of "crackers", but the public refers to them inaccurately as "hackers") use multiple computers...usually on separate networks, to perform the DOS. More computers, the more requests it sends to the server, often crashing or heavily loading the servers.

Ahh, this reminds me of that virus that somebody wrote in order to crash, uhh, Microsoft I believe's servers on a given day. Pretty dumb idea to do it on a certain day, though as Microsoft could easily set up a program type thing to prevent all commands from that virus in affecting their server. Also, if I'm wrong, could somebody clarify what virus that was. Thanks.

that's what i was talking about. they'd send virii to tons of computers. at a certain time, those computers would quietly attack the servers and therefore also confusing the security experts about where it came from.

ive never had this happen to me in my hosting career, but it has happened to the xisto corperation about 4 days ago >_< i was wondering what this was and noone was explaining it to me...thanks for spreading it out for me..i was just to lazy to google it... :)

I don't think I have to worry about a DoS attack on my site, because it is not globally known or anything. I can only expect attacks from people really angry with me:), but other than that, I may be ok.I never tried to do a DoS attack on any website I hated (besides being illegal), but one time I felt really tempted to do it on one lame site that was my competitor at that time. Of course I left it alone, because it was hosted with my isp..Do you think it would be possible to provoke such a heavy load to a server that it could even physically damage some component?

ive never had this happen to me in my hosting career, but it has happened to the xisto corperation about 4 days ago >_< i was wondering what this was and noone was explaining it to me...thanks for spreading it out for me..i was just to lazy to google it... :)

It was my site that got ddos'ed, it took down a server at Xisto - Web Hosting, and my account was suspended - so I switched to another host, just waiting on computerhost to send me my files.

:)

wow that was very detailed uentil. dos is also illegal (duh). Often, "hackers" (more of "crackers", but the public refers to them inaccurately as "hackers") use multiple computers...usually on separate networks, to perform the DOS. More computers, the more requests it sends to the server, often crashing or heavily loading the servers.

what's with the sarcasm? he detailed it pretty accurately in my opinion.

also, hackers is a general term. crackers are more specific to what a "hacker" is doing at the time. the public doesn't refer to them inaccurately, you are. the only common misconception about hackers is that they can be doing something legally rather than illegally. that term has gotten a bad name since the early 80's when personal computers just started to become a big thing....for who besides office personel? young kids who just hit puberty because their parents bought them one for educational purposes...

It was my site that got ddos'ed, it took down a server at Xisto - Web Hosting, and my account was suspended - so I switched to another host, just waiting on computerhost to send me my files.
:)

i don't think it's anything to smile about bud. you either have some enemies or you did it yourself with help from friends. i'm personally curious how long you had this site. probably not that long. if that's the case, how did people who don't like you know your web address so quick? i think YOU did it personally with help from friends. and if this can be supported, then you don't deserve any of your files back. in fact, you probably have all your files saved on your p.c. and trying to create more of a stink and bad name for Xisto - Web Hosting.

what's with the sarcasm? he detailed it pretty accurately in my opinion.

also, hackers is a general term. crackers are more specific to what a "hacker" is doing at the time. the public doesn't refer to them inaccurately, you are. the only common misconception about hackers is that they can be doing something legally rather than illegally. that term has gotten a bad name since the early 80's when personal computers just started to become a big thing....for who besides office personel? young kids who just hit puberty because their parents bought them one for educational purposes...

Ooh, how wrong you are.

Hackers: People who break security only to show vulnerabilities. They are often hired to test company servers to ensure that nobody else can steal or destroy important information. They do what they do based on a code of ethics google: hacker's code of ethics for more info. Also, they can be doing what they do legally, when they are hired by a company to do it to it's own server.

Crackers: Those who use their knowledge of security exploits for personal gain. They enter restricted areas with intent to steal or destroy information.

Also, there was no sarcasm in his post except the (duh) and that was not directed towards anybody, it was just to show that what he stated was obvious. If you ever read about the differences of hacking and cracking, you'd know you were wrong.

so when i start to lose bandwidth what is realyy happening is an attack?? i used to have a forum that wasted 100 GB of bandwidth each 14 days so you can imagine the frustration to keep it up, and finding a powerful hosting provider.I never knew exactly what was going on, but it was an entire problem. Do you think it can be possible somehow to avoid this kind of abusse?

I know everything about DDoS because im really good friends with the owner of http://www.ghoztcraft.net/forums/index.php and it is a game hacking site and theres a guy that helped with a hack and the people who made it didnt put his name in the credits so he had a really good IRC bot that DDoSed and changed ip addreses every half a second, so that way he woulnd get cought, so my friend took the hack (iNHALE) off of his site and he stopped, but he just got attacked like 2 days ago but he has a dedicated server and it has DDoS protection and when it is activated the server only lets out so much information requested but people so it doesnt overload the server. and it logs every IP address so he can ban it. But the most recent attack was by someone using there server to attack so it was 1 ip address so he did a Whois on the server and contacted there host and there account got suspended. Im not goin to lie, i have DDoSed my friends site (just playin with him). But i dont suggest doing it to anybody because you can get in serious trouble with the FBI and go to prison for like 8 years.

Yes, and my friend that owns the server, whenever he gets attacked he calls his host up and they enable DDoS protection. DDoS protection finds all the packets that are recognized as DDoS attacks and redirects them to nowhere so then they are attacking something that doesnt even exist. And yes, it makes the server stall because it is sending way to many packets so the server just kinda overloads.