xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Thelaw

Dvd Drive Problem It Wont Read Anything

code 39Dvd Drive Problem

I had the same problem this morning with my cd and dvd drives. This is what I did to fix it. It removed the little yellow exclamation symbols in device manager.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

and then I did this: 

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

my cd drive works now but I'm still having trouble with my dvd drive. It keeps telling me to insert a dvd when there is already one inside. 

hope this helps! 

you can also try this, which I took from the help and support center from troubleshooting:

Is there a problem with the driver for your device?

ms-its:ntshared.Chm::/important.GifImportant

• The following procedure might require you to restart your computer, whichWill close this troubleshooter. If possible, view this troubleshooter on anotherComputer while you perform the steps on the computer you areTroubleshooting.

The driver for your deviceMight be corrupted. Or, your driver might not be compatible with Windows XP, andYou might need an updated version.

There is no obvious way to tell if your driver is corrupted. Uninstall andReinstall the driver, and then try to use your device again.

ms-its:ntshared.Chm::/minusCold.GifTo uninstall the driver for your device

• Open ms-its:ntshared.Chm::/shortcutCold.GifDeviceManager.

• Double-click the device category to display all devices in that category.

• Right-click the problem device, and then click Uninstall.

• In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.

• If you receive a message that prompts you to restart your computer, click Yes to restart.

ms-its:ntshared.Chm::/note.Gif Note

• To open Device Manager, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. In the System Properties dialog box, click the HardwareTab, and then click Device Manager.

When you uninstall an existing driver and restart your computer, WindowsShould automatically detect your device and display a wizard that helps youReinstall the drivers for it. If this wizard does not appear, reinstall a newDriver manually.

ms-its:ntshared.Chm::/minusCold.GifTo reinstall a driver manually

• Close any open programs.

• Start the ms-its:ntshared.Chm::/shortcutCold.GifAddHardware Wizard.

• Click Next, and wait for Windows to search for PlugAnd Play hardware. Most newer hardware is Plug and Play, so you will rarelyNeed to go beyond this step.

• If no Plug and Play hardware is found, you will be presented with a list ofHardware types to choose from. Click Add a new hardware device, and thenClick Next.

• Click Install the hardware that I manually select from a list, andThen click Next.

• In the Common hardware types list, click the appropriate hardwareCategory, and then click Next.

• In the Manufacturers list, click the manufacturer of your hardware;In the Models list, click the model name.Or, click HaveDisk if you have an updated or third-party driver to install for yourHardware.

• Click Next, and then follow the instructions on the screen toComplete the installation.

ms-its:ntshared.Chm::/note.Gif Note

• To open the Add Hardware Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Printers and Other Hardware. Under See Also, click Add Hardware.

If reinstalling the driver does not work, check to see whether there is anUpdated driver available for your device. You are likely to need an updatedDriver if you started having problems with your device right after you upgradedTo Windows XP.Try one of the following to search for an updatedDriver:

• Check the Windows Update Web site for an updated driver. To go to theWindows Update Web site, click Start, point to All Programs, andThen click Windows Update.

• Contact the manufacturer of your device, or visit the manufacturer's WebSite, to see if an updated driver is available.

-reply by melanie

Laptop combo reading DVD as blank........Dvd Drive ProblemMy laptop's combo works fine, but sometimes it read certain DVDs as BLANK, though they aren't. When I play those DVDs on my desktop combo they work fine. Its quite weird because usually my laptop combo plays all sort of DVDs, its they very first time such thing has happened. Can anybody help me out in this issue. Take care.-reply by Noreen Khan