xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lyon2

Problems With Ftp Cant upload files with ftp protocol

I have a big problem uploading my website with the ftp protocol.I usually don't allow my ftp client to act as a server, and most importantly, i don't let my ftp client to act as a server to receive connections from the internet.But when i try to upload my files to my Xisto ftp account, part of my free hosting account, my firewall is allways asking me if i want to allow my ftp client to act as a server and if i allow it to receive connections from the internet.I don't think that is normal, i use other free hosting servers and none of them ask to turn my ftp client to a act as a server, so i am wondering, why is this happening with my Xisto free hosting account?Apreciate your support because i don't want to turn my ftp client to a ftp server.

Well, I am not sure of why exactly your firewall is asking the program to run as a server because I dont get that kind of problem.I'll request you if you can tell us which program you are using because that really helps in finding the exact problem and come to a conclusion.Another thing I can suggest you is that if you dont have any problem in switching to another FTP CLIENT - try to use FIREFTP Plugin of Firefox.I personally use the plugin and that is really good and performs the tasks which I want to and which can be achieved by other programs.

Ok:ftp client: WS-FTP PRO 9Firewall: ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.1.744.001I prefer using this ones, i have that fireftp firefox plugin, but i really prefer to use ws-ftp pro, it's much more better in my opinion.The intreging thing is that does not happen with the other free hosting accounts i have in many free hosting services.I was just trying to upload, and almost in the end of uploading files, zonealarm asked me if i wanted to allow ws-ftp pro to act as a server, that's really not normal, and, it says that is a high risk, i saw it in the program events log.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)

It seems to be working fine now, it is not asking for server rights anymore, i am glad things are fixed.But there's another problem, uploading files thrue ftp protocol is allways very slow, sometimes it reaches a good speed at first, but later on, it turnes very slow, and sometimes the upload process stop, making me to start the upload by overriding or resuming the upload files.For example, yesterday, i uploaded a 13MB file to share with my students, and i had to resume the upload at least 4 times, like i said, the speed, at first, it's good, but then it gets very very slow untill it stops uploading.Perhaps you moderators or admins could explain why it is so slow with the ftp protocol.Thanks for your support.Ps: I have this problems but i consider Xisto free hosting service the best on the www.

That happens sometime, if there a lot of folders and stuff. For example when you upload a IPB Forum, you need to upload the zip file through Cpanel, and unzip it there and do someother stuff....but to your topic:

Option 1

-Create a zip file of all the uploaded contents

-yoursite.trap17.com/cpanel (login with username and password)

-Main Page --> File Manager --> WWW or Public_HTML --> Upload Files

-Upload that zip file

Extra

+If you want that zip file unzipped, click the NAME of the zip file and look to your right on the menu and unzip it, otherwise just leave it.

+Create a folder for all the uploaded materials and stuff, so that the people can visit the folder and download through that.

Option 2

-Host the files on FileFront.com or something like that, where people can externally download them and such.

-Hosting large amounts of files on your account, will increase bandwith when they view or download them, be prepared to combat that and stuff!

Hopefully some of this helped you out. :)

Thanks to both of you.I will have to try both ways to see what will happen.grnjd, ZoneAlarm does not have spyware or adware or virus, ZoneAlarm Security Suite is very very secure, it has its own anti-spyware, anti-adware, anti-virus, firewall, IM Secrutiy, Email protection, Program control (controls components, servers, every litle thing, everything!), ID lock (protects personal data), Parental control (it protects from sex websites, and other 10's of categories of websites that you should configure if you want to see or not), Privacy (it blocks pop-ups, pop-up under, animations, banners, cokies (persistent and session cokies) ), and more.And this is only happening with Xisto ftp account, i have much more ftp accounts from many free hosting servers/services, and this does not happen with them.

It isn't fair to say Xisto seems slow, that the same program which is fine for other hosting service is only different with Xisto hosting.The main question I have is have you tested with the same file size with different hosting FTP upload? If you have tested Xisto and other hosting you have with the exact same file size, and Xisto seems to be slower, perhaps try using FileZilla as your FTP client. SmartFTP and WS_Pro, in the past, was proven that it lacks the understanding of some of new server's protocal to connect properly.There are few other reasons why certain hosting may seem to have slower transfer speed. First is your ISP upload speed. Your ISP upload speed isn't always as fast or reliable as your download speed because most ISP spends more resource (bandwidth) to send to your computer rather than from your computer. This is because, i.e. broswer, request for internet connection is very small and short, but the content that was requested might contain images and huge text length. Thus, ISP spends more resource for downstream than upstream. This leads to the second part. Upstream (upload) speed is sometimes throttled and not constant. This explains why it would seem fast in the beginning and then slows down.Try uploading the same file size to all other hosting service that you have and compare to Xisto. And most of all, try using FileZilla because it seems like FileZilla is without any restriction when it comes to pure FTP experience.

BuffaloHELP, first let me thank you for your reply, that's a nice reply.But i though of all of that, and i made many tests before i even though of making this topic.I tryed with flashfxp and it is also slow, and in big files, it stops the upload a lot of times, making me to start the upload again.Anyway, i will have to try more ftp programs, including that fireftp plugin.And i am not beeing unfair, i am telling the truth, nothing more, perhaps it is a coincidence that it is only happening with Xisto, perhaps not, that's not the point, because if i though Xisto free hosting was not good, i wouldn't be replying to your reply right now.

If Xisto's FTP upload speed is an issue I'm sure by now we've heard from all hosting members.I have tested using my ISP to upload 7mb file using FileZilla and the average upload speed was around 342kbs (my maximum upload speed is set by Verizon at 360kbs).I do not see that speed as slow... please try different FTP software, especially FileZilla and see if it's something else other than just for Xisto. Was your speed an issue recently? This is the first time and the only case where I've seen upload speed question in this forum.

I will try a different software, lets see.