xisto Community
Mich

Adobe Acrobat Reader Issue Where should it be located for online site access?

I recently tried to read a pdf file from an internet site and received a message that "Acrobat Reader" program could not be found. My copy is located here:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"

Where in the devil else would it be looking for the exe file? Or maybe my privacy settings won't allow access to my puter for the site to fine it? Anyway, does anybody have a clue?

Also, what is this exe file? "AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe"

Edited by Mich (see edit history)

Make sure the PDF file format is registered to the correct exe file in Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types tab. Open the files manually by opening Adobe if all else fails.That exe file you mentioned is most likely the Adobe Acrobat 6 Installer. Delete it if you wish.

what's your browser? you wanna read it via browser? better yet, you can simply download the PDF, then read it via your acrobat reader. that way, you'll have a local copy of the PDF and you won't need to be online to read it next time."AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe" is the full english installation for adobe reader version 6.0. but since you seem to have adobe reader installed already, you can keep it as a backup for future re-installations if needed.

Make sure the PDF file format is registered to the correct exe file in Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types tab. Open the files manually by opening Adobe if all else fails.

When I click on a pdf file on my puter it pulls up in Acrobat just fine; so I guess the format is registered OK. I just don't know why I get that message sometimes and other times I don't. Went to the USPS http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and clicked on a pdf file to open from their site and got this message in little gray box titled Acrobat plug-in: Could not find Adobe Acrobat. :) Downloading it is not an option. :) The plug_ins folder is present in Adobe/Acrobat/Reader.

what's your browser? you wanna read it via browser?

IExplorer version 6.0.2800.1106CO and yes. Read just above. Is IExplorer looking for a copy of Acrobat or some class file or dll in "its" plug-ins folder? Edited by Mich (see edit history)

When I click on a pdf file on my puter it pulls up in Acrobat just fine; so I guess the format is registered OK. I just don't know why I get that message sometimes and other times I don't. Went to the USPS http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and clicked on a pdf file to open from their site and got this message in little gray box titled Acrobat plug-in: Could not find Adobe Acrobat. Downloading it is not an option. The plug_ins folder is present in Adobe/Acrobat/Reader.

I mean the path is properly registered. Go to the control panel, click on Folder Options, as I said. Make sure it has the correct path to adobe reader.

Downloading it is not an option. The plug_ins folder is present in Adobe/Acrobat/Reader.

It is. Rather than clicking on the link, right click and select "save target as". You may now download the PDF

I mean the path is properly registered. Go to the control panel, click on Folder Options, as I said. Make sure it has the correct path to adobe reader.

Well duh, it wasn't even in there. I have corrected it now so the association path is present. However, it still doesn't work in IExplorer. But at least I don't get that annoying message. Now I just get a square with a red x in it in the upper left corner of my screen. Go figure.

It is. Rather than clicking on the link, right click and select "save target as". You may now download the PDF

Well duh again, I didn't know that. Learn something new every day. Thanks a lot Tetraca.

hi, Mich, I think the best way to correct this problem is go control panel, then, Add/Remove program. Because the adobe reader was installed using Windows Installer. So, you can have it functionality to repair you copy automatically.

hi, Mich, I think the best way to correct this problem is go control panel, then, Add/Remove program. Because the adobe reader was installed using Windows Installer. So, you can have it functionality to repair you copy automatically.

Well, hallalujah, Posted Image thanks magiccode9. Did what you suggested and now I can use Adobe Reader in my browser. A trap 17 member to the rescue again. What can I say. Everybody around here is so helpful.