xisto Community
master_bacarra

Messenger Service Message Virus

have you tried running a virus scan with the latest updates and see if anything comes up and also run a ad-ware thing and see if anything comes up if you run both of those and nothing happens it could still be a virus , just recently i had a virus that was in the system infomation volume folder but because this folder only has right for the SYSTEM to access it when these viruses are put in there you can't just scan and clean it. even as the administrator you can not access this folder !! This is what you do you get to the command line editor then type this * cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F * (don't include stars)and then go to where this folder is make sure you can see hidden and system files and folders. Right click on the system information volume folder and then click properties. Then find the security tab and click that.Now click add and enter your username into there click ok and then go back to the explorer and you should have access to this system information volume folder. just on word of WARNING do not mess with the stuff in this folder if you don't know what is happenning with it as it could lead to you having to reformat your machine. I suggest once you done what i havew said up there what you do is get a virus scan and scan that folder but set it to clean the virus only. if it says it can't clean it then find the infected file copy it somewhere else and take it out of this folder. restart the machine and see if it is all ok if so leave if not put the file back. Once you have done all that i would suggest that you remove permission for your username from that folder just so there arew no accidents later on. go back secirity tab and just remove your username.

Edited by Reaper (see edit history)

First did you correct the problem? If no then take this advice, you'll surely thank me later:
Go here register for free and then download HJT and post a log with the description of the problem, and after couple of hours an adware and spyware and viruses professional will respond and telling you what to do, This Site is EXTREMELY helpful.
Once I entered a site of serials wich I'll never enter again and the next thing I knew is that pop-ups filled my screen each and every time I write a website in the browser, and crashes were happening like every 10 minutes my computer was a mess, Intil one day I met this site who safed my data and hard Disk from a disaster. Don't hesitate and try this Site.
Hope this will help you?

i've ran updates on all of my antivirus and antispyware applications. i've ran scans using avg, spybot search and destroy, ad-aware se personal and microsoft antispyware. the scans gave me outstanding results and i believe that the computer is now ok.but there's a new problem. i don't know if i'm just having delusions or something, but my browsers are totally going nuts. i'm currently researching some things on the internet for school purposes, using my mozilla browser and whenever i try right-clicking on an image to save/copy it to my computer, the browser hangs and ends up not responding. i've tried it several times on mozilla, but failed. i used internet explorer but whenever i type something on the address bar and press enter, nothing happens. the browser doesn't load the webpage at all. i had to use the yahoo! button of my internet explorer to connect to yahoo, then access other websites from there. but when i try saving images like what i did on mozilla, the browser hangs as well. i dunno what happened but i think the browsers got affected or something.but that's not the only thing that bothered me. when i was able to copy the contents of a webpage via the ctrl+c shortcut and paste it on a microsoft word document, and try to save the file, the document fails to save and the application hangs as well.i really don't know what's happening, but i'll try to restart the computer hoping that everything's just a simple loading failure or something like that. i'll run tests again later, but i'm consuming so much time just on scanning alone, i can't even finish my work. school's around the corner and i have a deadline to finish.i'm starting to think computers are hating me as much as i regret taking up a computer course... geez. shoot me now...

Looks like you're computer had some important files infected and now they are either deleted or quarantined. Looks like it's about time you formatted and re-installed Windows, installing ALL updates.

STOP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE LISTENthat is a perticually bad virus somone i know had the same problem that type of virus getins into your registery and corrupts it leaving it almost undectable by virus scanners. it will further spread into your hard drives and infect them so you loose all your files and it will infect the hard dive so much that it will cause a head crash and make the HDD unusable. if you notice the softwear that it tells you to go to all leads to the same thing an active x control that supposadly scanns your pc bnut infact it open up poirsts that other viruses can get into so as youve got that meassage unplug your pc from the net and whipe the hard disc clean dont leave anything on there even if its important its all got to go unless your willing to take a big security risk. if you dont do that you will start recieving messages from NT kernal (the windows kernal, the core of the opperating system in other words) saying that it hasw to restart and shut down windows as the registry has become infected and its starting to effect all other part of the pc. If you still dont do anything you will finally start getting a boot message saying 'Fatal Kernal error, Trying to re-initalise... faild. Opperating system not found' and if you think after that repairing your installation will help it wont. trust me its happend to some people ive known many times.So to sum it all up WIPE YOUR HARD DRIVE CLEAN AND ANY PARTITIONS YOU HAVE ON THERE AND RE-INSTALL A FRESH COPY OF THE OPPERATING SYSTEM AS NO VIRUS SCANNER WILL REALLY BE ABLE TO REPAIR IT.

:)This is not a virus. There is nothing wrong with your computer. Please read people, I know what I type. There is nothing to worry about, the messenger service is merely a service on your computer. It is simply there so if you enter a given IP, any message you type will be displayed on the targets computer. Advertisers have noticed this feature and began sending those messages to random IP ranges. Edited by Wolves (see edit history)

So to sum it all up WIPE YOUR HARD DRIVE CLEAN AND ANY PARTITIONS YOU HAVE ON THERE AND RE-INSTALL A FRESH COPY OF THE OPPERATING SYSTEM AS NO VIRUS SCANNER WILL REALLY BE ABLE TO REPAIR IT.

for real? darn! this operating system that i'm currently been using has been installed just recently, and now i have to reinstall it again? :) is there any other way? because i really don't want to do those re-installing stuff all over again. it's taking too much of my time already.

I used to have the same problem... I do not know how i got rid of it but it just suddenly disappeared. Just make sure you dont download any dumb useless programs and make sure you have a good Virus Protection and Spyware killer

for real? darn! this operating system that i'm currently been using has been installed just recently, and now i have to reinstall it again? :) is there any other way? because i really don't want to do those re-installing stuff all over again. it's taking too much of my time already.

Oh come on! Please understand, this is not a virus. There is nothing wrong with your computer. Update your computer and the service will be disabled by default.

Hey its definitely a malware. Well, there are many companies which make them for their publicity. They sometimes seem to be good but they are really bugging. They dont really do what they say they do. Just to get their website many many hits they do all this. I recommend you to never install any activeX components if any website offers them. And also you should get your computer protected with Norton Antivirus 2005, or Norton Internet Security which offers spam protection, FireWall, Blocks unauthorised access, blocks backdoor application and protects your computer from any attack. I would really recommend you to install a firewall.

Hey its definitely a malware. Well, there are many companies which make them for their publicity. They sometimes seem to be good but they are really bugging. They dont really do what they say they do. Just to get their website many many hits they do all this. I recommend you to never install any activeX components if any website offers them. And also you should get your computer protected with Norton Antivirus 2005, or Norton Internet Security which offers spam protection, FireWall, Blocks unauthorised access, blocks backdoor application and protects your computer from any attack. I would really recommend you to install a firewall.

Oh please... honestly people, read!

EVERYONE CALM DOWN. Thank you. Wolves, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you shouldn't go and bash them, you yourself could be wrong.. My suggestion for your messages is when they pop up, open task manager, go to applications and find the window, right-click on it and hit go to process, take note of what the process is called and then end it. Next go to control panel and then to "add and remove programs" look through the list for anything suspicious or similar in any way to the process name you just found, then uninstall that program. This is just a possible solution to your pop-up problem, for your browser and image problems, I have no idea. Seeing that this person has not replied for 7 days, I suppose it was a virus and finally got him.

Ahh, but I'm not wrong. This was a major issue for a long time and when SP1 was released it was disabled by default. If you don't believe me, then:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Do you honestly think that Microsoft would install a service to spam people's comuters? I already wrote I know what I type and I was continually ignored. Anyways, that above article will stop your problem. And dark drgn, please don't tell me that I could be wrong. I wouldn't post unless I knew what the problem was.

Topic has been answered and is now closed.Please read post #13 and #21 to find the answer. To turn off the messenger service, Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and look for "Messenger" Right click and select Properties. Under General tab select "disable" on Startup Type. This will disable your intranet messenger service. It is also good idea to change your Network Group name to something else than the default "Workgroup" or "MsHome" This is the most common reason why you're getting internal messages.