xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
barnes

Making The Full Linux Change. So, my computers cramped. Im planning on a full Linux install.

I have been using Linux on my Laptop for awhile. Ubuntu. I'm thinking I am ready to turn my desktop into a Linux machine, or atleast half of it. Currently, the only things keeping me on Windows are...-Flash.-Dreamweaver.-Photoshop.-Games. (HL)Please suggest me Linux alternates that I can use to jump off of Windows. This whole reformat every 3 months thing isn't fun.

Why do you need to reformat a linux machines every 3 months? For windows, I do reformat once in a while. However instead of reformatting, I've created hard disk partition images so that I can clone them back. This avoids reformatting time and installation of all my applications and drivers. You may like to try this method out.Alternative to Photoshop on Linux would be GIMP. Dreamweaver's alternative on Linux would be Nvu. As for Flash, I've not seen any alternative for linux machines yet. As for Linux games, you can easily search in Google for them.

do you mean flash as in animations on websites of making flash animations yourself? if you mean installing flashplayer to veiw flash animations online i know there is a linux flash player for firefox ive used before and it works fine, just abit tricky to install..atleast it is for me because i dont use linux much as it has problems with my widescreen monitor :) but try googling for the download if thats what you need or run linux and try to veiw a flash animations and let it find it for you!

The other choice you have, rather than sourcing alternative software is to use something called Wine. This is a piece of software that mimics Windows and allows many Windows programs to run successfully on Unix and Linux. It is obviously totally free and works with a very large number of programs.

Macromedia Flash might work. MX works fine, MX 2004 will not work and version 8 works on some systems depending on the setup. Unfortunately Photoshop CS will not work as a default installation, but there might be a work around. Again, Dreamweaver might work, depending on your version of Dreamweaver. Most games, including popular ones like Half Life, will run perfectly on Wine, although sometimes the fram rate can be a little low.