xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Moolkye

Molecules And Their Shape Round or not?

The tiny particles that make up everything. Are they round? Or are they plyable enough to mesh with the other molecules around them?If they are round then what is in between those molecules (kind of like ping pong balls in a see through box.If they are plyable, then can they change their form constantly or is it a fixed form and we are just wading through the air like water. It molds around us.Just curious... I will explain why I think they are round after I get some feedback.

The tiny particles that make up everything. Are they round? Or are they plyable enough to mesh with the other molecules around them?

Honestly, I have no idea.

If they are round then what is in between those molecules (kind of like ping pong balls in a see through box.

Either other molecules that are smaller, or nothing (miniscuel vacuums).

If they are plyable, then can they change their form constantly or is it a fixed form and we are just wading through the air like water. It molds around us.

That depends on what specific kind of molecule you are walking through, and at what temperature and pressure it is under... Edited by matto (see edit history)

Hm, perhaps I might be misunderstanding or overanalyzing the question.Molecules are solid objects that exist in 3-D space. They have specific dimensions and shapes resulting from the types of bonds which make them up. Some molecular shapes (with angles between atoms) include: linear (straight, 180 degrees) e.g. carbon dioxide moleculeangular (bent, 104.5 degrees) e.g. water moleculepyramidal (107.3 degrees) e.g. ammonia moleculetetrahedral (109.5 degrees) e.g. methane moleculeamong others.Like molecules e.g. water will tend to associate with each other forming a compact mesh (principally due to hydrogen bonding). This leads to such effects as cohesion (ex. why a glass of water can be filled over the brim without spilling ? if done with care) and adhesion (ex. how water travels from the roots of plants via capillary action)I guess the explanation for the shape of molecules ultimately boils down to sterics. Molecules want to avoid steric hindrance ? crowding, obstruction? and in doing so, tend to maximize the distance between atoms to prevent this from happening. Intermolecular and intramolecular forces help in doing this.Atoms, on the other hand, are what make up molecules. For the sake of simplicity, their shape is usually taken to be spherical.Hope that helps :)

Well Molecules and atoms. I mean Atoms still have the shape of a sphere right?

lol, no one knows what an atom looks like. The sphere that you see representing an atom is just a model used by sciencists of the basic structure of an atome (proton, electron, and neutron). Atom is known as a buidling block for all matter. It is so small, even smaller than light wave. Thus, atom cannot be seen.

I believe what between molecules is energy. As we all know that when something is heated up, it expanded; while it is cooled down, it condense. This is because the energy caused the molecule to get excited and bounces against each other. Take water as an example, when water is at room temperature, it calls water. When it is heated up, we called it water vapor; although the molecule still stays the same (H2O). Water cooled down and condense and formed ice.

Hm, perhaps I might be misunderstanding or overanalyzing the question.
Molecules are solid objects that exist in 3-D space. They have specific dimensions and shapes resulting from the types of bonds which make them up. Some molecular shapes (with angles between atoms) include:

linear (straight, 180 degrees) e.g. carbon dioxide molecule
angular (bent, 104.5 degrees) e.g. water molecule
pyramidal (107.3 degrees) e.g. ammonia molecule
tetrahedral (109.5 degrees) e.g. methane molecule

Atoms, on the other hand, are what make up molecules. For the sake of simplicity, their shape is usually taken to be spherical.

Molecules are made up of atoms. Atoms form the above shapes based on their electron clouds. It has to do with electron affinity and electron repulsion. Electrons live on differant energy levels and depending on how many electrons an atom has and how close they are to the nucleus will determine the chance that the atom will loose its electrons to another atom or gain an electron from another atom both when it is forming compounds or when it is just bumping into each other. The differance between what state a molecute or chemical is in is based on temperature, pressure and volume. All three affect the molecules in differant ways. molecules are always moving in all states. Just as a review the three states are gas, liquid, and solid. In a gaseous state in a ideal situation the molecules are bouncing around in the air or container. As you lower the temperature the molecules begin to slow down and gather together. As you continue to lower the temperature you will see that the gas becomes liquid and if you go below the molecule's freezing point soon the molecules will be in the solid state. Water is an excellant example. I am sure many people have drank bottled water and when you are done there usually are a few drops left. Well if you close the lid of the bottle and leave it in the sun eventually it will appear that the bottle is empty or foggy. Well as the sun goes down and the bottle cools the water droplets will form again and if you freeze the bottle it will freeze the droplets and the bottle will crush. All of this is extremely fascinating. hehe

Molecules are made up of atoms. Atoms form the above shapes based on their electron clouds.

i agree this statement,which is the real scientific deciption.