xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CinnamorollTK

My Education Rant Why did they lie?

When I was in Elementary School, I was told that if I got a 4.0 in high school, colleges would look for me and pay my way. They said "All you need to worry about is your education and you'll be fine."

That was one of the biggest lies I was ever told.

I took some time to investigate and found out that the main things that matter to a college are the SATs and what you did after school. Lots of universities are offering full scholarships only for foreign language students and people who are sports stars. What if you spend most of your spare time reading? Doesn't that mean anything? What about the fact that I can read 120 pages an hour? Its worth nothing to you, you mean university!

Main point: Why does it matter more to colleges and universities if you can play sports than if you can read fast? Is it because I can't prove I can read fast? It's not my fault schools don't test for that yet.

it is because money makes the world go round. college especially are looking for students that they can invest in and get a return. having a winning football team is more important to the funding of the college than a bookworm doing research. in my opinion this is backwards and i'd like to see it changed(being a science geek myself). a researcher who makes a breakthrough could bring in millions to the school but it's too risky. they want a fast turnaround.

I guess if it was advice given in Elementary school, they might be a little biased, trying to encourage kids to do their work so they don't fail 2nd grade or something... but yeah XD;vetranHonestly, the paying for college thing is insane, in the US anyways. One of my friends managed to get a grant to pay for his whole education, because his family was poor and (don't hate me) he was black. And yay, good for him.. but he dropped out after two months, so it was a real waste ;.;I had to take out loans and work full-time on the side, but I finally gratuated. I noticed, though, that once I got Phi Theta Kappa on my record, I started to get a heck of a lot of emails about schools wanting me to transfer to their college to finish up, on their money XD;Eh.. and now a co-workers little straight-A daughter is looking to go into the starting veterinary classes.. but even with all the grants and scholarships they can find, -and- the biggest student loan they could take out, they still owe $10k/year that they're going to have to pay out-of-pocket. It's just insane. o.o

That pretty much sums it up, sports is what really runs school, but in term of scholarships they do have them for other things besides sports, you have to do alot of research a school counselor would be your best source of info.But its not as easy to maintain a sports scholarship, it would be a matter of priorities.Look at the whole duke situation they are losing millions right now due to this field hockey scandle.

Well now, sports in America has always taken a higher priority than academics which is totally stupid as academics is what actually should matter. Funding is always being cut for sports and stuff and it's all about pride. No one cares if their students are smart anymore. If they bring fame and trophies back then they are happy with their brain dead students. Thats just how it always ends up I guess.

They look for active students in the community who show leadership and talent in academics and other extra-curricular things. Lots of very good schools take in extra-curriculars a lot more than grades and stuff, though grades and SAT's definitely matter.

Where I live marks alone are enough to get you into local universities. However, if you are looking for scholarships then you have to do a lot of volunteering. The entrance average for university here is so high that they if they gave scholarships for marks alone then most people would get them. The organizations that give out scholarships are looking at what you have contributed to the community to determine if you get the funding or not.

As a university student currently studying in Canada, I take on a slightly different standpoint regarding this issue. Needless to say, I understand where many of you are coming from when noting that too much emphasis has been placed on varsity sports.I think we would all agree that different talents lie in different people. Athletes will excel in athletics. Scholars will excel in academia. Belonging to either group (or any other group that I?ve left out for the sake of simplicity) will have both advantages and disadvantages. My point really is this: no matter where your talents lie, there is bound to be someone, albeit the university, an independent organization, the government etc. that will acknowledge and appreciate what it is that makes you unique. Consequently, you?ll be ?compensated? for your hard work e.g. if you have a high GPA, the university may award you an entrance scholarship. I think the real problem lies in whether or not we are willing to look for this ?compensatory source?.There are also a lot of in-course scholarships that are offered to students who perform well academically and/or have shown initiatives in extra-curricular activities. Science-inclined students can rest assure that there are paid research positions (summer and during the year) that are offered exclusively to students who do well in school. But then there?s the issue of competition. Everyone will want those spots and it?ll be up to you to show your worth.I?ll end off this reply with something that my high school English teacher once told us. ?Just look at the word University? he said. ?Cut out the first part and what do you get? ?Universal? *his hands drawing out a circle in the air as if demonstrating what a sun along the horizon would look like*. Universities ultimately want to look for students who are well-rounded ? universal, global people who excel in various things. A good student will do well in school. A great student will not only do well in school but will also find other activities to better him/herself?.Good luck.

I agree completely with you. I think that schools exist to educate, not to play games. I'm fine with sports, I just think that real education and games need to be kept seperate.

I guess if it was advice given in Elementary school, they might be a little biased, trying to encourage kids to do their work so they don't fail 2nd grade or something... but yeah XD;

That might've been it. XD So many kids didn't try at all. They were too worried over recess.

One of my friends managed to get a grant to pay for his whole education, because his family was poor and (don't hate me) he was black.

I am poor. Does that mean I'll get a scholarship? (Does being hispanic help?)
And where did he get this grant?
Edited by CinnamorollTK (see edit history)

There is definitely a higher emphasis on extra-curricular activities these days. Just because you get straight A's or whatever, in either school or university does not neccessisarily mean that you will land a job. Personality and what you do outside of work and study tends to be equally important, and thus I believe it's vital that you at least try and join (and stay committed) to some sort of club activity, whether it be some sport, craft or debating. Academic results are still important though - I would not say universities disregard them so easily, but rather the level of competition is higher and thus other activities have to be measured amongst candidates as well. Reading fast will benefit you in your studies, whether it is recognised or not - it should reflect in your results, in my opinion.