xisto Community
alfredglenstein

Stop The Censoring

The censoring I think is unhelpful, and that this forum's policies are contradictory on this subject. For one example, the "vent" and related forums are under the umbrella of the "Trapped in *BLEEP*" web site. Look at that! Did you see? The name of one of your very own websites I am not allowed to reproduce in a post. THAT is a double standard. Additionally, while writing this post, I see an add for "Dont Stop Adult T-Shirt"... no swears but hey go get adult T-shirts?However, I don't think you should stop censoring just because of that. I think you should in respect for the community so this web site doesn't feel like a padded Disneyland children's park (which it feels like when you have to read the word "bleep"... honestly... it's like we are playing house or trying to pretend this is TV and imagine that this our words are bleeped out.) And the use of "*bottom*" to replace the other obvious word, I think it silly and makes the forums kind of a joke whenever we have to confront that aspect of it. It would seem more grounded in reality to lift the censoring.

Edited by alfredglenstein (see edit history)

If everyone felt that way and decided to "police" themselves, the board doesn't need to have world filters.

However, this is a public forum. This forum will draw so many diverse users and some users will try to "beat" the system or rebel against forum rules. Bad word filters are this forum's first line of defense. The second is having a report button.

Why all the censoring? This forum is used and accessed by minors (from the age 10 thru 68 the last time I checked) and the forum HAS the responsibility to accommodate for ALL members--not just a few or hosting members. It was the forum's owner's decision to make this forum respectful and thus some censorship will follow.

Then how come with The Vent section and the unusual forum title? The Vent section is bit special. Although Xisto highly puts language watch, the board owner felt at least ONE section should be freely used to express your frustration. And thus, to the marketing, the name TIS was created (notice you don't have to type the whole thing. TIS will do just fine). TIS is designed to have Xisto grow into another level of Xisto service and in the future all will be worked out.

Please be patient until OpaQue has some free time to continue to build this forum. He's been pulled away from Xisto to hosting maintenance because some paid members are driving him out of his mind. <_<

Additional note due to a report: The hosted members have started a topic here http://forums.xisto.com/topic/34931-trapped-in-bleep-tis-wwwtrappedinshitcom-new-is-this-for-real/ and much have been discussed. Hosted section cannot be replied by general members so I'll let this topic stay. By no means or implies that both this topic and the topic linked approves the usage of the bad word or words. Again, please be patient until everything is worked out by the forum owner.

just FYI: the "adult" relates to the size of the shirt, not the design on the shirts

Thanks, my mistake. I threw that in afterward, but you are right.

If everyone felt that way and decided to "police" themselves, the board doesn't need to have world filters.

Are you saying that if there wasn't censoring then the cursing and language would be a serious problem? Ok then. Is this supposed to refute what I said? I respectfully submit that what you said doesn't put to rest the things I mentioned about censoring, that it is all just meaningless silly gestures that don't really acheive anything. I didn't even advocate any policing nor beleive that to be the solution, just to plain drop the filters because they don't really do anything. The specific words a person uses to express their sentiment are trivial compared to the idea their words come together to form. A person can be just as angry whether they use the word *bottom* or its alternative and you don't stop that by just censoring. Even if you do, you don't resolve it. A person just sighs in frustration that you (by censoring) have strong-armed them out of saying what they really meant. And the discussion suffers. I'm up to 40 something posts here now and I'm not sure I swore once (except for one peice of writing but that was a peice of creative writing not addressed to anyone where swears were involved actually to convey meaning)

If you really wanted respectful discussion on these boards, you aren't going to get it by just choosing what words to filter, but rather by the community. And to say "yes, that's true but these filters still help in a limited way" implies that you are trying to hold up to some level of quality, but I think filters really just take that away by just objecting to curse words, etc.

I know you had more in your post, but I was afraid this just kind of got away from what I was saying at the start. I have read your post 2-3 times in full, and will be back to address them tommorow afternoon and acknowledge the parts where you are right, but I have to get going for the moment.

Notice from jlhaslip:
merged

However, I don't think you should stop censoring just because of that. I think you should in respect for the community so this web site doesn't feel like a padded Disneyland children's park (which it feels like when you have to read the word "bleep"... honestly... it's like we are playing house or trying to pretend this is TV and imagine that this our words are bleeped out.) And the use of "*bottom*" to replace the other obvious word, I think it silly and makes the forums kind of a joke whenever we have to confront that aspect of it. It would seem more grounded in reality to lift the censoring.

Ok I don't mind reading curse words and stuff, since I'm a high school student. But on the other hand it looks really un-professional and it made me turn down 2 hosting forums because of it. When all the members are going @%!$^@^^@$^ @$ ! %$!@# $!@# $!@# (i did that...not a filter <_<) and stuff like that and the filters are censoring everything. Then your like... "Spam Postings..No? - Whats this crap? - Who are these people? - I'm outa here..." thats what my responses where to some of those forums. It makes it look bab and then people have so self respect. My forum filter is so strick that it (######) does that to the word damn and fart too... it was a uploaded back that I got off Invisionize. I would rather see #####'s all over my forum that badwords. So then you can warn and get rid of the trouble makers.

However, this is a public forum. This forum will draw so many diverse users and some users will try to "beat" the system or rebel against forum rules. Bad word filters are this forum's first line of defense. The second is having a report button.

BuffaloHELP being an admin at two other places, I know exactly what you mean and stuff. Its funny how people get made at the little things like "filters" and stuff. But you are right... if my dad saw me comming here when I was 10 he would be confused... but see oh its a little (mega) forum. And if he was watching me read a post with curses all over it... he would make me get rid of the account and not go back there. B/C it would be a negative infulence to potential members and stuff.

If a person felt the highly charged emotion is better described with expletive words, I feel that person should seek to establish new vocabularies.This is a forum where we discuss many different topics. However, it is your free will to be a part of Xisto forum member. I do regret you are not satisfied with the current board filtering method. And as always, Xisto will not impose any unobtainable goals using forum rules. However, we do ask that while you are part of Xisto community we respectfully ask everyone to follow set rules accomplished by the board owner.It is not about who is right and who is wrong. Xisto's forum is foremost to draw traffics to the forum by SEO (search engine optimization). When search engines cache currently filtered words through out the forum, the ranking of Xisto will fall. And that will mean less traffic and leads into Xisto. Which at this point, Xisto can no longer provide free web hostings.Forum is open to everyone and every debate. The free web hosting is the byproduct of your participation.

Well, I?ve always found a bit ridiculous that "censorship" in the forums. Because you now, if you don?t throw some 4 letter words it?s like you?re not being natural, you?re forced to be too polite or to talk like a 5 year old child. I?m not saying that we must talk only with curse words and slang but as he said, you cannot complain with passion without any of these expressions. It just doesn?t look real. Of course you can say the same with other words but, believe me, others won?t understand you so well. As a non-english speaker (I mean, not native) I have to say that the first english word we learn is... well, I guess you know. <_< And if I listen records and watch movies in english are constantly saying F--- so, why not in a forum?I mean, it?s weird but if it?s for the kids, it?s allright. Anyway. kids know these words don?t they?