xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JC05

Can't Open Pdf

O.k. guys, i got a problem here. I cannot open any pdf files. I go to a web page and click on the link and a page come's up but then stops. And i tried on another computer and it worked just fine. What's wrong? I use to be able to pull them up just fine. I have tried to use mozilla firefox and internet explorer. please help.

Check these, all possible options:- Do you have Acrobat reader installed?- If yes: try reinstalling? (If no: you need it to view pdf files, get it from http://www.adobe.com/)- Check file associations, maybe some program screwed up file associations and pdf is not assigned to reader anymore.- Check for spyware, sometimes mal and/or spyware can mess up your system.If none of these help: what do you mean by "and then stops", do you get any error messages? time-outs? Have you tried saving the file to your harddisk and then openning it? are you able to open up pdf's on your harddisk?Hope I could help some,you gave little information so I can only assume as to what might cause the problem.

There was a topic on the forum a while back about speeding up the Acrobat Reader process by moving some files and or plug-ins (don't exactly recall what). Did you by chance move those files? Might have to move them back to where they belong. I don't exactly remember which Forum it ws in, but try a search for the topic..

It could be regarding PDF plugins that you've moved into an optional folder in the Acrobat Reader installation directory. Usually reinstalling Acrobat Reader will solve the issue as it writes back all the plugins in the correct directory.

Unless you know which plugin to restore, you then manually move that particular plugin back to the original directory.

jlhaslip's comments should be refering to this thread..
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/24772-speed-up-acrobat-reader-loading/

Edited by Inspiron (see edit history)

Try saving the link to your desktop. If it is possible that helps me - You can download it o your desktop and then use your favourite PDF viewer to read it.I once was having trouble reading PDFs in my webbrowser and I updated the browser and all was fine. But if you download the PDF you can veiw it any time you want - Opening it up online just gives you the one time and once you navigate away - its gone

I would use Firefox and get the PDF plugin available at Mozilla update (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) and run that.

If that doesn't work, you could always download PDF's (Right Click > Save Target As) and use an external viewer. Links to external PDF viewers:

O.k. guys, i got a problem here. I cannot open any pdf files. I go to a web page and click on the link and a page come's up but then stops. And i tried on another computer and it worked just fine. What's wrong? I use to be able to pull them up just fine. I have tried to use mozilla firefox and internet explorer. please help.

I was having the same problem. Check out my post and thread thereafter. The last suggestion worked just fine.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/37109-adobe-acrobat-reader-issue-where-should-it-be-located-for-online-site-access/=

Edited by Mich (see edit history)

Hey guys. Guess what? thats right, it is fixed. I tried re-intalling Adobe Acrobat Reader and now I can open PDF just fine. I am still not sure what the problem was but doing the re-install did the trick. Thanks everyone!

Hey guys. Guess what? thats right, it is fixed. I tried re-intalling Adobe Acrobat Reader and now I can open PDF just fine. I am still not sure what the problem was but doing the re-install did the trick. Thanks everyone!

See how helpful all the people at Trap 17 are.

A

BIG THANKS from me too!!!!!Posted Image Edited by Mich (see edit history)