xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
trace-uk

Moving To A New City - Making Friends?

If you were to move to a new city far away from your home, what would you do to make friends? You'd meet people at your new job. I guess I'd try to join a few martial arts clubs or a gym.Any other suggestions? Coz I may be facing this in a few months...well, the next city over where I don't know anyone...

Yes, definitely. Making friends in working place is the easiest way. People in the gym and other places like bar and others - though they may seem easy at the beginning you will realize that it is hard to have a good friend. However, those found in bars and gyms become stable friend they could be the friends in need who are the friend indeed. But the guys in your working place will be always dependable. They will hardly cheat you nor misguide you. But those in bars and gyms may just have fun making fun of you at times. Try to join clubs, and of course go more outings like jogging and exercise.

I have already moved a lot in my time and i find that its pretty easy to make friends. Most people are always very welcoming to new people and open to be firnds with you. The hardest part about making new friends is actually getting to know them. The easyest way is obviously if you see them every day ( like lets say at your job or in school. ) but then if these people that you see every day are your only friends i think that you will get tired of them very easily. Then ofcourse as you already mentioned there is the possibility to join clubs and groups. Depending on the people you want to get to know i think that a martial arts group or gym isnt the best area because these people tend to always be the same kind of people. To get to know new people you want to try to join a group or club that has a large vereiety of people in it. Ofcourse if its a club of some sort most people are going to be similar in one way or another. Then another solution to making new friends and learning new people is going out at night. Maybe not exactly a strip bar but i would say a bar of some sort is good. or a pub. pubs are usualy a good place to get to know people that have been living in the area for quite some time now because thats the pub they always goto. You could ask them for help getting around the city or maybe to show you around a bit. Like that you can also get to know a lot of people. Hope this helps and good luck with getting new friends in your new city <_<

Personally I find that the best way to make new friends is from existing friends. Whenever you go out somewhere with your friend have him/her invite someone to come along that you don't know. It's really easy to start up a conversation with these people. By doing this you can quickly build a large network of friends in no time.

I'venever went into a bar alone in my life. Ive always went in with friends or on a date.What do you do? Seems abit odd.Thanks for the advice so far though. Hopefully I'll have some friendly neighbours, but someplaces people just keep to themselves.

Making friends would be reasonably easy from my experience, I've moved all over the place (just all over the city in different suburbs) in recent times and most people are usually very welcoming to new people and are pretty open and laid back. As many others said, the hardest part about making friends with the new acquintances is actually getting to know them. Of course, it's easier if you see them everyday, ie at school or at work. It's generally better to branch out to meet other people, since it's pretty easy to get tired of them if they are the only people you see every day. Of course, there are other possibilities to branch out as already mentioned, such as joining sporting clubs, gyms, community groups and so on.

Edited by arnz (see edit history)

what about night classes? would you sign up for them at a local college?have any of you had any experiance with this type of thing, moving to a place no one knows you? I think most people stay where they've grown up...

Making friends is easy, everyone wants to know the new guy so it easy to introduce yourself. But like everyone said, making friends is easy but keeping them your friends and spending time together is hard. It easy to meet people everywhere, at the laundery line, clubs, sports, and most dependable is probably the workplace. Be sure to make friends and spend time together, or else you'll just be another person that your friends sees everyday

Well, first of all, you have to consider the type of friends you want to meet. Sunday services at a local church might work better for some folks than a strip club. Really! I'm serious! Not all the humans on earth are warped and perverted sex fiends or alcholics. Most of them yes, but not all. :)Pick up a copy of the local news paper. (I think they still print those don't they? Or is everything online?) See if there are any group meetings for organizations you might have an interest in. Check to see if your new community has any new civic improvement projects going on, like trying to get a new playground built for the local children, or a beautify the community group that goes around planting flowers and trees and that sort of stuff. Nearly every community has something like that going on, even our own little town here is trying to build a new playground for kids. If that's not your cup of tea, maybe a group of cyclers that are having a ride a thon for charity. Just anything that will get you out in the public. You can also keep an eye on community bulletin boards, you can usually find these in grocery stores, and also, laundry mats. Laundry mats also by the way, are not a bad place to meet people. Check your local chamber of commerce. They could also tell you about groups in the area. Or check with whoever you got your propery from, landlord or whoever.

Friendship is something that happens spontaneously between two persons. You may be able to ‘make’ friendship with someone of your choice irrespective of the fact that the other person is willing for it or not. The feeling for companionship with somebody, these days, is a conscious choice of people and not a spontaneous happening as it used to be in the days of the yore. It is the curse of the commercialization of everything including human feelings and passions. The facilities to make our lives more comfortable that are provided by the present times brings along a sense of insecurity too, which makes us to view most of our brethren in a not so humane light. Therefore, it is nothing but natural that the friendships of the day are made on a conscious decisions by all of us. It is more so since we don’t possess ourselves the qualities that we are trying to find in a person to be in possession to qualify as our friend!However, you can still find and make friendships provided you have a real longing for it. And, who knows you may be even lucky to find somebody of your choice!