xisto Community
*euro*

Computer Buying Tips before you get computer,

#1 What should I buy? Branded or non branded computer.

Branded computers are known as quality products. They are manufactured under certain standards and quality control methods. But the disadvantage is the high price. In the other hand non branded PCs are low in price but cannot guarantee the quality. Whether if you buy branded or non branded following details will be help you to make a decision easily.

#2 Warranty

I consider this as the most important of all computer buying tips. Every new computer should carry minimum 1 year warranty for parts and labor. Please check the warranty period and conditions carefully before purchasing a computer. Some suppliers provide additional years of warranty with an additional charge. My personal advise is to go for this extended warranty. Its worth.

#3 Supplier

Always buy from a reputed supplier. Don't buy from small shops just to save few dollars. Most of small computer shops are using cheap quality parts. Also you will be in trouble in getting warranty if they close down shops within one year.

#4 Software license

You may get operating system and few additional software packages free with your computer. Please check whether they are licensed copies and you should get all documents related to license.

#5 System configuration

Think what kind of work you are going to do with your computer. Most of the users are purchasing computers to browse Internet. Then an average PC with 256MB memory, Pentium IV CPU, 64MG graphic card, 20GB Hard drive will be enough. But if you are going to use powerful games etc then go for 1 GB memory, 128MB or more VGA, 88GB + HDD

#6 Internet / Networking

How are you connecting to the Internet? If you're using a high speed Internet connection, such as cable broadband or DSL, you'll want to make sure you have a network card built into your system. If you have a wireless network at home or at the office, save money and installation time by buying the wireless card built right into the computer.

#7 Monitor

Monitors have different sizes and types such as 17", 21", flat screen etc. Don't go for 21" screen unless you are a graphic designer or CAD operator. The price difference between 17" to 21" is very high. Flat (slim) monitors are easy to use and looks good. Don?t throw away your monitor if it's still working properly. Instead, keep it and save a chunk of money by just replacing your old CPU [computer tower]. Monitors last much longer than CPUs and the technology is usually compatible between your old monitor and the new CPU. However, if you?re dissatisfied, then monitors, keyboards and mouse are the three tools to spend extra money on, since you use them every day!

#8 Operating System

Always ask for the latest Operating System

in other words..buy from a reliable source, such as dell or Hewlett-Packard. Good stuff. They always provide 1-3 year warranties...except hewlett-packard's stuff really breaks a lot. Yup.

The best thing to do is make your own. That way you'll know all the parts that go into it and be able to fine-tuen it to your needs. Try tigerdirect.com for parts and info if your intrested.

well, most time I would got un-brand name computer. I cant imagine that the component of it is not good. actually, for the players of the computers, you might be changed the motherbroad, cpu etc... within 3 month. for the brand-name computer, that would be hard. <_< any ideas ?

I suggest after you get your PC, take off all the crap that comes with it (AOL trials and the like) and add Open Source software likeFirefox (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/)Thunderbird (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/)SmallWindows (http://smallwindows.sourceforge.net/)The OpenOffice Suite (http://www.openoffice.org/)GIMP (https://www.gimp.org/windows/)

I would suggest buying from a name brand on laptops. for desktops I strongly suggest people build their own. In today's world to be afraid of the contents of the "mystical box" isn't really an option. most things are easily figured out and everything either fits or not. as long as you dont' force parts in nothing should go wrong. If someone is unsure about it there are many computer geeks around ready to help(I'm one) or there are great tutorials online.

For everyone not willing to do this by all means follow those rules they are very very good.

PS. a note on operating systems. Windows is generally easy to use but i strongly suggest taking a look at linux there are several commercial and freeware distrobutions that are much easier to use than windows(aka SUSE)

The warranty would come first on my list when choosing a personal computer or a laptop. Everything comes second. In case there are some problems on the hardware you could always go back and visit the store for replacement.

Just to add few notes on warranty. Recently I bought one Desktop PC. It was not branded one but parts I bought were all branded ones. Intel motherboard, Samsung TFT monitor and hard disk, LG DVD Combo writer, hehehe.. all are branded not to speak about RAM and others, they too are branded. I assembled them and it works perfectly. And all the parts are 3 years warranty. I think this is cool.

The next desktop I buy will be a apple and maybe even the next laptop, either would be my first apple computer. I agree, if you buy a laptop buy name brand (aka dell, sony, alienware, toshiba, acer, and if you dare hp, compaq, gateway) and on a desktop you can do either a custom home built or another name brand (I would choose dell for value or sony for the top of the line machine). I own a hp 3.2ghz desktop and a 2.8ghz sony laptop, both are the first name brands I have owned. I was a build it your selfer but that was when you had to pay close to $2000 for a good computer either laptop or desktop (with the laptop being a lot slower), but now all the big guys are selling cheap and the ghz race seems to have slowed some (aside from 64bit and dual core, but that's another thread), so before you get yourself into a mess try some searching.Warranties are awsome!

Here is the only advice you'll need: Don't by from Dell, their customer service sucks, their PCs are low grade, and they're as advanced as a two year old computer. I've heard problems with Acer and their Laptops, but I've never owned an Acer.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

this is definately some good tips to follow, i remember my first pc and when i got it, i was so lost i had no clue what i wanted what i needed, what i wanted to do with it.. these where the questions i was being asked.. and i had no clue

#1 Always go custom, brands like dell, ibm, hp, etc are worthless, example if you buy a 2.8Ghz PC you will most likly get a motherboard that can only handel upto 2.8 or maybe 3.0Ghz which will cost you alot more later in life b/c to upgrade you will most likly have to buy all new parts.#2 Warranty, usless computers always die after the warranty is up, like I payed an extra $500 to get my 1yr extened to 3yrs and to cover some more issues and 1 month after 3 years everything started to break.#3 Supplier, the bigger the company the more they order and the more likly the parts will be cheaper since when you buy in huge bulk prices are cheaper so large companys will pay less and charge you less.#5 System configuration, if you just use you computer for day-to-day basic things 2.8Ghz with 512MB-1024MB of RAM and a cheap 128MB video card would do, gammers.. AMD 2.2-2.6Ghz, 1024-1536MB of ram with a 128-256MB video card a 512 would just be a waste since most games don't support 512 so it won't preform any better and when games start to support 512MB there will be more advanced ones out.#7 Monitor, Gammer CRT, day-to-day use LCD.#8 Operating System, linux! debian if you advanced, if you not try using a live cd of knoppix to get used to it then install something like fedora then once you have a good understanding you can install debian.