xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inspiron

Microsoft Warns Users Of Pirated Windows Os with a Desktop Message

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of local PC users running pirated Windows operating systems will soon face the shame of being reminded of their illegal action every time they switch on their machines.
The feature will be added to the operating system by Microsoft Corp from tomorrow and cannot be erased. It will nag the guilty users and can be awkward if it shows up on corporate PCs."

The anti-piracy move is being kicked off in five countries tomorrow the United States, Britain, New Zealand, Australia and Malaysia.

Full Story:
http://www.thestar.com.my/404.html?item=%2fnews%2fstory&user=extranet%5cAnonymous&site=TheStarOnline

Ok.. Another step for Microsoft in attempt to play with your non-genuine desktop when she cannot further control your pirated operating system. It won't hurt much to home users. However businessmen, who owns pirated versions, while giving presentations to their clients, will be embarrased whenever this popup comes as and when randomly. What's worst is the message in the popup: "This is not a genuine Windows system.".

The question asked by Yahoo, "Do you yahoo?"The question asked by M$, "Are you still using windows today?"Time to change to a new OS for a lot of people.

This is such garbage, it's not even funny. What else can a person do when one is not rich and each operating system can only be legally installed on a total of 2 computers, and a new copy costs around $150 or so? If one switches to Linux or Mac, one cannot run the programs one have always run, but if one sticks with Windows, one is thwarted at every turn by legal and economical issues that limit what they can do. Where can one turn?

The question asked by Yahoo, "Do you yahoo?"The question asked by M$, "Are you still using windows today?"

Time to change to a new OS for a lot of people.

Well, this is another Good idea from Mr Gates company, anyway this is a little bit contradictory,

1- Now Mac support the bootcamp for installing both systems in their hardware, and i think that almost everyone who bought a Mac thinking like the computer will be like using the iPod, they will run for a pirated copy and install windows on it. Just because they dont feel in "Home", without start and that crappy stuff...

2-The software for a small bussiness can cost MORE than the salary for the employees, so, seems pretty stupid for a small business that is starting to buy that expensive software.

Solutions:

START USING FREE SOFTWARE! is better, reliable, and ovbiosly FREE!
You can try Linux, it comes with a LOT of software and a office suite for home and business application.
Now go ahead and follow your peinguin!

I woudln't have to worry about this. Well long time ago i would have but i don't know cause i bought the real thing. yesh it would be embarassing for coportate people. It would be unprofessional. i think there would be ways to counteract this implementation of Microsoft. some kind of hack. hahaha. there will always be patches or hacks. They're already making lots of money. Why crack on it now??

For those people who have windows update set on manual you have the option to download the patch or ignore it. Uncheck the box, select that you never want to see the update again and presto. Don't you just love bureaucracy? (I'm not condoning pirating Windows, but if for some reason you don't want your copy bloated with a useless extra patch... *whistles innocently*)

For those people who have windows update set on manual you have the option to download the patch or ignore it. Uncheck the box, select that you never want to see the update again and presto. Don't you just love bureaucracy?
(I'm not condoning pirating Windows, but if for some reason you don't want your copy bloated with a useless extra patch... *whistles innocently*)

Thanks for this info! But try not to give these kind of info in future.

And as far, this thing is concerned, I think Microsoft must take a better step and that must be providing Operating System at a cheaper rate. This will allow many users infact Millions of users to run a legal copy of windows on their machines. And I am sure with this strategy Microsoft will atleast earn something :lol: Because, those millions of pirated copies are not fetching them even a single penny.
I think Microsoft must think on these terms and I am sure they'll see a whooping increase in their profits.

As far as windows genuine goes.. its more a joke than anything else. It doesn't even take 15 minutes of reserach to get around it, fetch the important upgrades and ignore the rest.... this little popup won't change much except scare a few hardworking unsuspecting home users out of an extra couple bucks.

Edited by Blacklaser (see edit history)

I woudln't have to worry about this. Well long time ago i would have but i don't know cause i bought the real thing. yesh it would be embarassing for coportate people. It would be unprofessional.

i think there would be ways to counteract this implementation of Microsoft. some kind of hack. hahaha. there will always be patches or hacks. They're already making lots of money. Why crack on it now??

Well yeah, seems like microsoft want to help the crackers, because the vista CD WILL include all the distributions of it,

Windows Vista Business

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows Vista Home Premium

Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows Vista Home Basic

IN THE SAME CD!

that is completely ...... i dont have any words for describing the level of stupidity of them, they want to fight against piracy, but they make more simple the way of piracy for crackers! It's unsense.

BTW IM AGAINST the piracy, but also against the swindle of charging a lot of money for a OS.

SUPPORT FREE SOFTWARE!

Ok.. Another step for Microsoft in attempt to play with your non-genuine desktop when she cannot further control your pirated operating system. It won't hurt much to home users. However businessmen, who owns pirated versions, while giving presentations to their clients, will be embarrased whenever this popup comes as and when randomly. What's worst is the message in the popup: "This is not a genuine Windows system.".

hmmmmm well my take is that it will only hurt microsoft and not help them. i will believe it when i see it. they already pretty much of the market cornered so they risk losing miscrosoft os users swiching another free one and there are a couple good ones. the operating system is front end for all the back end profits microsoft makes. their back end profits(the main profits) can only go down from this decision. so again, i will believe it when i see it.

if anyone can confirm this first hand, i will be interested in knowing. again, i'll believe it when i see it. i think it's a stupid marketing tactic. maybe microsoft has principles now and trying to fight piracy even if they lose business. but when has microsoft ever made decisions on principle.....blah.....where did this information come come???

as far as a two user license i heard about, i thought it was only a 1 computer license? am i wrong here? only 1 computer per code?

i have had problems with m/s in the past but i do know that if you ever need a legitimate code, they give you one over the phone if you forgot yours. i got mine this way once. i had to argue for 1/2 hour with someone i couldn't understand. anyway, this in itself defeats the purpose of protecting against piracy unless that policy has changed too. btw- i had my original code sticker on my pc, i was just testing something out to see if they would give me one.

anyway, something isn't setting right with me in what i'm hearing.....

As was to be expected a lot of legal users have problems with this "Windows is not genuine" crap... proof can be found here

Not noly that, but for all those running a pirated version, not even 24 hours after the release it took me less than 5 minutes to find an easy workaround. There already are different methods as can bee seen here or here. Of course I don't encourage pirating software but for all those who own a legal version of it and still get the annoying messages, those are workarounds until Microsft gets off their lazy derriers and fixes it...

Personally I haven't been affected(that's because I don't let Microsoft decide what updates go onto my computer), but a friend of mine has had the problems and I can see how annoying it is. My suggestion is turning of automatic dowload of the updates since letting Microsoft handle it is like letting a thieve install the alarm system of your house...not a good idea, as they have proven yet again... All they're doing is annoy their customers and the pirates, which MS is trying to go after, are rolling on the floor laughing. My congratulations to Microsoft: You managed to screw your customers over yet again!

Edited by Blacklaser (see edit history)

Huh.. so this is a real thing, eh?From the screenies, I guess it's already going on.. but I haven't heard anyone complaining about it in the Electronic Cafe at school, so I guess it didn't hit very hard. I suppose anyone who is going to pirate windows would be smart enough to turn off the automatic updates.. and I'm sure there will be a billion work-arounds.Windows software is just too expensive.. I guess you have to suck it up and buy it, if you dont want to use Linux.. but for people like my boyfriend and I, who are building, upgrading, and scrapping computers all the time.. switching out parts and wiping harddrives and stuff.. even going out and spending $200 on the OS software would cause a hassle, if we can't use it freely >.>Thank god for Tux <_<

As was to be expected a lot of legal users have problems with this "Windows is not genuine" crap... proof can be found here
Not noly that, but for all those running a pirated version, not even 24 hours after the release it took me less than 5 minutes to find an easy workaround. There already are different methods as can bee seen here or here. Of course I don't encourage pirating software but for all those who own a legal version of it and still get the annoying messages, those are workarounds until Microsft gets off their lazy derriers and fixes it...

Personally I haven't been affected(that's because I don't let Microsoft decide what updates go onto my computer), but a friend of mine has had the problems and I can see how annoying it is. My suggestion is turning of automatic dowload of the updates since letting Microsoft handle it is like letting a thieve install the alarm system of your house...not a good idea, as they have proven yet again... All they're doing is annoy their customers and the pirates, which MS is trying to go after, are rolling on the floor laughing. My congratulations to Microsoft: You managed to screw your customers over yet again!

It is about time Microsoft really got tuff on pirates, instead of putting up pathetic nag screens warning people. The way I see it, MS, should have a screen come up, locking users out of the operating system, and hard coding it into the OS.

Wow this is a new low even for Microsoft. I think this is kind of unfair for the people who run pirated Windows who bought it from some store and did not even know it was pirate. I do not see why it is fair to punish the innocent as well as the guilty. Almost all computer places install Windows on their computers and who knows if they give everyone a unique copy and they still bill you for it. In fact, I tell them I don't want Windows and buy my own copy in an unopened box.