xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TOMFINCH101

Alienware?

right i hav known about this for a while but i thought i wud mention it here. u see this new desktop gaming pc by alienware known as the aurora ALX now has (i think its the first pc to hav it) quad graphics cards. it says in the specs it can contain up to 4 NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GTX. now this may sound like a gamers dream but does any game really need what they r claimin r 'hd tv equivalant graphics'??

well theres always an extreme for nearlly everything, just incase people want it.It isn't nessary for a good gaming experience, but people with the money will buy it.I'm not an expert on it so can't say weither it does give an equivelant HD resoultion. . . .but the main advantage i can see is beign able to run good frame rates on very large screen resoltuions, while keeping the highest quality graphics settings.. . . . so. . .if i had the money. . . hell yeah i'd get it lolmost custom PC builders do the Quad now. . .. i cud even buy it for my pc if i wanted. . . .but i dont have few thousand to waste :blink:by the way i wouldn't buy from Dellienware (alienware), as theyre overpriced. Find a less well known custom PC builder and you'll save the cash. . . or even build somethign ur self, if you want a high end/gaming pc.

Goosestaf is right, you can probably save a lot if you buy from someone else/build it yourself. As far as your original question goes: No, no game needs it (yet) to have a great gaming experience. Of course if you have a huge screen or multiple monitors the quad will give you a tremendous boost in performance and allow you to play with higher quality graphics, which will somewhat increase the gaming experience.

As far as I'm concerned, I've only ever used an Alienware PC for gaming, but not much else. The one I rely on, I built myself and wouldn't trust any computer company other than the parts I bought selectively and assembled. I have to agree with you guys. It's better that way, if you know what you're doing.

Apparently Oblivion has been tested on a system with dual graphics cards, a huge processor and lots of RAM and still did not run smootly with all options turned up (I will try to find this site again and edit this to include the URL). Why it is necessary to have dual graphics cards, never mind quad is beyond me. Hey I can barely afford 1 card, from the cheapy range, then the cost of these new high requirement game, no ways i'll have 4 in the near future ...

Edited by springbok (see edit history)

Hey hey hey.. Don't mess with Alienware.. It's best known gaming machine.. Those specifications you see are indeed crazy. But if you are wary, always open up the PC case and check it out. Do benchmarks which will also help in verifying extreme capabilities.Anyway, do you guys know that Dell plans to buy Alienware? I've read the article somewhere recently. Currently Dell is the best computer company. In future if Dell buys Alienware, Dell will be unstoppable.

I believe they have acquired Alienware already? (And Goosetaf seemed to be hinting at it too). Dell is currently the best in terms of price/performance out of the computer makers - though the components tend to be rather... erm... average.I'd have to agree and say Alienware is far overpriced - and for anyone who's enough of a computer enthusiast to want quad-core... they could probably do it themselves...

Game requiresments keep increasing as a massive rate. What alienware provides now may seem more than you need but in a few months it might become outdated. WIth alienware computer you can be sure that at the time of buying you are a getting top of the line gaming system but in my opinion the computers are overpriced. I think it's better to build your own system, although I do like their cases.

Edited by Arigato (see edit history)

I believe they have acquired Alienware already? (And Goosetaf seemed to be hinting at it too). Dell is currently the best in terms of price/performance out of the computer makers - though the components tend to be rather... erm... average.
I'd have to agree and say Alienware is far overpriced - and for anyone who's enough of a computer enthusiast to want quad-core... they could probably do it themselves...

Yup , you got the hint, dell did buy alienware, altho they will remain as a separate brand.

I wouldn't say dell is the best really. . . . their still very over priced, and liek you said, they use average components to keep the manufacturing cost down. . . . but then up the price because they know ready built gaming pcs are desireble.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/
are a extrememly good value, with good quality stuff. (UK only tho soz)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ are good too, but their site is down at the moment.

man. i have one video card which will run ut2003 at its highest graphics. and thats its limit. when i bought it, it was freaking awesome. now its so low class ii'm ashamed to mention it hahaha. the rate of technology growth is so expensive to keep up with... sometimes i dont even think its worth keepoing up with, but i know i have to. ;d