xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mich

Sixth Sense Experience Has something like this ever happened to you?

Sixth Sense Experience  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am going away for a while and thought I would leave this for everyone to ponder. This is a true story, written by me, about my experience after my mother passed away. If you have had a sixth sense experience, please add it to this post so I can read about it when I get back.

Mother's Journey

It was a gorgeous sunshiny day in June, late in the afternoon, when we took Mother's cremated remains to the Odd Fellow's Cemetery in Sacramento, California. As we walked to the grave site I noticed the handsome redwoods stood reverently, as if out of respect to the many resting places they sheltered. There was a small opening dug in the earth above Grandfather's burial place. Mother had asked to be buried near her Father. We now would place her in the care of Grandfather and God.

We talked a while and the group slowly dwindled down to just the original four of us, my Brother, Step-father, Husband, and me. As we made our way back to the car, I left the lane to take a closer look at one of the redwoods. There seemed to be several different species on the grounds. I plucked off a sprig off one hoping to identify it later. As I turned to go back to the group, I heard a rustling overhead and looked up to see a large owl fly to another redwood across the lane. The bough that it had landed on bent and swayed from its weight. It was a brown speckled owl with a heart shaped white face. I called to the others to look at the beautiful owl. The owl and I made eye contact and a feeling came over me that I hadn't experienced before. We made a connection as it paused there on that bough. Then it gracefully flew off high into the sky away from our sight. I remarked to my brother, John, that it was almost like Mother's spirit was watching us. He came back at me with, "You don't think that Mom was reincarnated as an owl?" "No," I told him, "it is like her spirit was there in the owl; I felt something when it looked at us." He teased, "Well, I guess nobody will criticize you if you choose to believe that." It came to me that I was acquainted with a Native American back home in Michigan and I told my brother that I was going to inquire of him the significance of the owl to the Native American. The feeling stayed with me. I told other people about it for days afterward.

When we returned home, I looked up my acquaintance. I asked about the owl's significance, without relating anything else to him. His reply stunned me. He said that it is associated with death. Then he went on to tell me that there were basically three interpretations of the owl's significance. One is that it is a "warning of a death to come." Another is that it "brings death." The third is that it "carries the spirit of the dead to Heaven." This depended on the regional origin of the tribe. The tribes in the northwest region, he explained believe the latter. I then told him my story. Both of us smiled through tears. I told him that I had wondered what that owl was doing out at that time of day since they are nocturnal creatures. His quiet reply was, "They usually are not out during the day, unless they have a job to do." I told him that my brother's teasing had made me question my feelings; and that I was spooked by my interpretation of the event. "I was right, wasn't I?", I asked him. He said, "You should never second guess your instinctive feelings, they are usually right."

I have related this story frequently since then and have met with skepticism from some. For those skeptics, perhaps I may temper your skepticism with the following. I will give you that it might possibly have been coincidence that I spooked that owl from his sleep in the tree when I walked under it. Please consider: Why did I pick that tree with hundreds in the cemetery? I had passed other trees along the lane before walking over to that particular one. Why did the owl pause in his flight? When the owl looked back at our group, why did I feel a connection so strongly? Why did it come to me so immediately to search out the significance of the owl from a Native American? If I had not thought to ask a person of this particular ethnic background, my experience would never have been reinforced. Could this whole sequence of events have been mere coincidence? God is omnipotent and exists in everything he created. If I choose to see this happening as a sign from God that my Mother's spirit was with us that day and was safely chauffeured to Heaven by his creation, the Barn Owl; what do you think? God sends us many signs that we do not recognize. This one was received and understood.

Wow, that is a truly amazing story. You must feel very relieved that you're mother's spirit has been taken to heaven by that owl. I don't think that everything could possibly be by a coincidence. There would just be too many coincidences in that, for me to believe that.I wish that I had the power or intuition or sixth sense to notice things like this myself. I've never had a feeling that I just knew something was, or anything like that. My family on both my mother's side and my father's side speak many tales about times when they were faced with such 'phenomonons' as to it could only be related back to ghosts.However, my father is a very big skeptic, and doesn't believe anything, and my mother hasn't ever mentioned anything of the sort that has happened to her. Neither my sister nor I have experianced anything, so I wonder why so many other people have the ability while we do not.Perhaps it's not something that I've come in contact with just yet and sometime in the future, I will and I'll recognise it when I see it. That's my hope anyhow.

Well, I am back now and disappointed that this post didn't get more participation. 49 views and only 1 reply. Guess the subject matter isn't interesting enough. Well, I tried. :)

Well, I am back now and disappointed that this post didn't get more participation. 49 views and only 1 reply. Guess the subject matter isn't interesting enough. Well, I tried. :rolleyes:

no, you're wrong. a very interesting topic indeed. sometimes the posts disapear from site before others get a chance to read them.

i believe in that silly crap. i say silly crap because most do not believe or have a concept that there is more out there. unfortunate for those who will never experience something similar because they are not open to it

i've had different experiences with eyes wide open to tell me that there is more out there and to life.

i'm more spiritual than religious in nature. the indians that you refer to(actually you referred to tribes) i believe are a combination of both.

my main experiences i normally have is when i talk to a higher power or someone who has past on. sometimes i get chills where i get goose bumps and my arm hairs will stick up. i have a feeling of connection when this happens as if someone is there or listening to me to validate what i am speaking outloud. when i am just thinking my thoughts, i don't experience this sensation

this is the first time i've talked about this type of experience. i have more less common experiences though that are VERY unexplainable that i wont go in to here. let's just say that i am a firm believer that there is more out there that we don't know or understand and that there are every day signs to let us know that we aren't alone.

oh, i only thought the the owl significance of death only occured in dreams and the interpretation so this was an interesting post to read. if you have ever had other experiences, please post 'm

my main experiences i normally have is when i talk to a higher power or someone who has past on. sometimes i get chills where i get goose bumps and my arm hairs will stick up. i have a feeling of connection when this happens as if someone is there or listening to me to validate what i am speaking outloud. when i am just thinking my thoughts, i don't experience this sensation

Aha, anwiii found my post. Thank you for the input. I too have had experiences with some spiritual beings, for lack of a better description. I actually hear their voice and reply to them. When this happens, I try to acknowledge their presence by saying hello. The ocurrence is usually very quick and fleeting. It is truly comforting when I recognize the voice and know who it is. So far it has always been somebody who has passed from this earthly bond. It gives me hope that there is really something beyond this life. I find it very difficult to believe that humans are the ultimate superior beings. And how conceited of us to think we are. :)

Thank You - I understand now...

Sixth Sense Experience

Approx. 2 weeks ago, I was returning home from walking my dog in Atlanta, GA. We were a couple of houses away from mine when a brown owl flew out from nowhere and landed on a pole which was approximately 10 ft high. We were walking in the street. The brown owl just sat there staring at me with it's huge black eyes. At one point, I became frightened because I thought that it might swoop down and attack my dog and/or I. Eventually, the fear passed and I intuitively knew that this was a message from a spiritual source.

We stared at each other for a while longer and eventually I continued towards my house. The owl was still there everytime I looked back. Once home, I called my mother. She informed me that she was working on a memorial essay to be read at our Great Aunt's funeral the following day. Our Great Aunt was the last matriach of her generation to pass on. She was 98.

At that moment, I knew that it was her. I helped my mother with her memorial and reflected on my Aunt's remarkable life.

Today, I have been searching the web and reading about owl omens. At times I would feel a sense of panic because of the common belief that owls seem to be messengers of impending doom and death.

After reading your post, I feel confident that my experience was a visit from my Aunt prior to her "going home." Perhaps she is passing the baton...I don't know. I just feel blessed and fortunate that I was visited and honored that I am spiritually open enough to receive messages from my ancestors on the- spiritual, dream and physical plane.

Thanks for sharing. God Bless.

-reply by aoli

Disturbing Sixth Sense Experience

Sixth Sense Experience

OK, so I was at a friends house, he lives out bush. And I needed to go to the toilet but I was to far from on so I did like any bloke would do and went towards the nearest tree. On my way there however, I froze. One minute I could move tand the next nothing, I was just ridged, could not move a muscle. It scared the hell out of me as there was nothing to explain it.

It was at this point that I glanced down (could move eyes) and under my right foot which was suspended about 20cm from the ground was a death adder (very poisons snake). I was like that for about 5min at which point it slithered away from me. Even trying to move I couldn't.

Has anyone had a similar thing occur to them, remembering I had not seen the snake at the time I froze I saw it after.

-reply by Josh

Aussie Big cat

Sixth Sense Experience

Ok so I have always grown up with the story of the big cats in the otway ranges where I lived, but it was always one of those hings that you would believe only if you saw it. (Big cats are not supposed to be in australia)

So anyway it occured over about a two month period, my uncle who,lived across the road from me had a calf taken by something. He followed the drag marks to the creek which boarders his property, there is also a barbed wire fence there which he found long black hairs on. He took the hai to a vet friend of his which afer a while was able to identify them as cat...So I ask what sort of cat can drag a 8 week old calf down a hill through a fence and across a creek??

I bloddy big one is what! as I found out a month later. I was walking around at home and noticed something near the creek (live on hill creek down below). It was black, when I got closer I could see it was a cat, but its shoulders where at a hight with the reeds that grow along the creek... Which is to say about a metre high.

-reply by Josh

Disturbing Sixth Sense Experience

Sixth Sense Experience

OK, so I was at a friends house, he lives out bush. And I needed to go to the toilet but I was to far from on so I did like any bloke would do and went towards the nearest tree. On my way there however, I froze. One minute I could move tand the next nothing, I was just ridged, could not move a muscle. It scared the hell out of me as there was nothing to explain it.

It was at this point that I glanced down (could move eyes) and under my right foot which was suspended about 20cm from the ground was a death adder (very poisons snake). I was like that for about 5min at which point it slithered away from me. Even trying to move I couldn't.

Has anyone had a similar thing occur to them, remembering I had not seen the snake at the time I froze I saw it after.

-reply by Josh

Actually, there are people that are able to "smell" snakes. While most of us don't recognise the oder, some people pick up on it immediatly if a snake is anywhere in the area. I suspect it is one of those left over instincts from when we lived in caves and there were no emergency rooms just down the street. There is a good possibility you are one of those people and just didn't know it.

Edited by sheepdog (see edit history)

Very nice story, well written and I enjoyed reading it. I dated an Native American (by the way, is it no longer politically correct to say Indian?) years ago, and thats when I learned the major significance of the owl to their mind set. We were out in the yard late one evening and an owl landed nearby for a minute before he went on his way. This well over 200lb huge hulk of a man was reduced to a trembling frightened child in a matter of seconds. He totally freaked out. It was a bit of a shock to me to see him like that. I'm sure some people will be skeptical about your experience, but it is completely believable that it could of been a message or sign. While Ghost Whisper" is a popular TV show, I know an elderly woman who actually has been visited by the departed on several occasions. I have no reason to doubt her at all.