xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rldowling03

Winamp Anyone use this compaired to WMP or Quicktime?

I'm using version 5.111 at the moment and i love winamp, it's great. You see my computer is very old and very slow, and if i wanted to listen to music in WMP or quicktime my computer would freeze but i put on winamp and it worked perfectly both on classic and modern skins. Anyone else use winamp and what is your opinion on it? Also anyone got the new version form their website and whats new in it? Thanks.

I used to, but then Nullsoft went and sold it to AOL, and that was that. Its still a good player, I just now have great difficulty accepting the amount of junk that comes with it, the AOL stuff mainly, and the e-music link thing or whatever that is. I will still say that this is perhaps still in my top three, infact its still my second favourite player, after Quintessential Media Player. I will also agree with the resource issue, Winamp is very light on the computer, plus it still does a very good job on the old plugin front, so I would say while its not for me I can easily recommend this to others.

I'm amused that you mention QMP, as that's my music player of choice. I harass my friends who use Winamp and they harass me about QMP. I've found QMP to take up less resources, have excellent tiny skins, and essentially have everything I'd want to play music, without lots of extra crap. I use the Core media player for playing video.

There is more information about QMP here, but I have never used it. I use Windows Media Player because it does what I want it to and doesn't seem to slow the system or cause lock-ups, but that could be beacuse this PC is relatively new. I used to use Winamp on my last computer because it ran faster and was a bit easier to use and navigate around.

Thanks rvalkass. i just had a look at that link and the first thing i thought was it looks like it has a great interface. it looks way better than winamp and my thoughts on that was that it would slow my system down. I'm just gonne download it now, another thing i did notice is it's a very small file size to download so wen i've put it on my computer i will let you know what i think compaired to winamp. Thanks Guys

This is probably off topic, but I use PCDJ to chop and mix my music. It's a great program, and I am not trying to push an affiliate link on ya'! I really like this software. Take a look on Google for more information on "PCDJ"!

Ok i shall have a look but if i wanna do things to my music i just usually use Audacity, but i will have a look and get back to you. What exactly is it used for and what are it's features compaired to any other program?