xisto Community
rldowling03

Good Rpg Game Besides Final Fantasy What are some other good RPG games besides Final Fantasy?

I found a few substitues for my FF addiction:Legend Of Dragoon - PS1Great game where you play as a young man named Dart on a quest to save the world from a race of magic wielding beings.Has a whole FF feel to the story along with some interesting fight mechanics involving transforming into a Dragoon (Dragon Warrior) and the ability to pull of attack combos with well times button pressing.True to the FF format there isn't much vocals in this and at the final scenes the voice acting borders on hillarious, but with an excelent story, beautiful music and well developed characters you'll certainly go back to this.Kingdom Hearts - PS2Made by Square-Enix and Disney, and as surprising as it may sound, it works unexpactedly well.The game is very graphically pleasing and the music is soothing to play along to with a mixture of fast paced battle themes and full orchestra scores as you'd come to expect from Square.The game looks, at times, very childish but the game's difficulty seems to be set a notch or two higher than the visuals would suggest it should be.As much as i enjoyed this game i never found myself playing it longer than a few hours once i had completed it.The Elder Scrolls IV -Oblivion - POC/Xbox360Perhaps the biggest sandbox RPG released.The sheer amount of things the player can do is incredible.You can play as any combination of skills you wish from a stealthy Theif or nimble Archer to a powerfull Mage or brutish Warrior....or even a combination of them all.The game allows for complete character customisation not only with the abilities you use but how your character looks.Pick a race, gender and you're free to choose any look you like, including a large green mohawk on an Orc :lol:The story is a little short but is none the less excelent and setting the difficulty a little higher only makes the game better, rather than more difficult.Although the main story is quite short there are an enormous amount of side quests to keep you going for weeks whether it be rising to the head or the Fighters Guild, becoming Arch Mage in the Arcane Academy or becoming the land most notorious Theif...the choice....is 100% yours...Fable - PC/Xbox360A beautifully simple little RPG that will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy after playing.While not as large or as free roaming as Oblivion this game has things Oblivion lacks.In Fable you are free to love, marry and even have sex, and unlike almost every other game Fable caters for all sexual orientations and personal alignment.You are free to upgrade your skills using experience gained from killing which can be used in 1 of 3 pools, Strength, Skill and Will.Strenght increases damage done while reducing damage taken, Skill increases damage done with bows and increases speed while Will deals with all things magical.The graphics are smoothe and simple, musical scores are pretty and soothing and gameplay is so uncomplicated you could play blind folded.The games story isn't short but when finished you feel dissapointed that it has ended, although there is no real replay value other than to play through in the opposite alignment.These are just a few games that i have enjoyed, hope you find something you enjoy too ^_^

THe elder Scrolls are my personal favorites.Morrowind was fun and exciting with the possibility of becoming a vampire or a werewolf in the expansion.Oblivion was even better with alot of the same features but even better you felt like you could do anything but with the emperor dead and him being the one who sends you out and bails you out of prison in the beggining of each story I don't think there will be another one but it would make a great online game like World of Warcraft did but if there is another one I think they would have to take the story line quite a ways back and they should let you roam all of tamriel like Arena did.
Fable was a good rpg but not as big or open as oblivion it did have things that oblivion didn't like marriage and of course having some fun in the bedroom which kinda seemed a little perverted especially if you did the have a gay relationship in the game which can be awfully funny I did that once and ended up killing him but. The only problem with the game was that you could not be female which would have been a little funner not just for the fact your a female but it would open up more possibilities.
If there are any more good games like these please let me know.
-reply by njeffers

There are plenty of RPG series out there, and it isn't very difficult to find great games. Since you're into the Final Fantasy series and you have a ps2 already, a vast library of games is available to you. I recommend checking out Gamefaqs and scrolling through the list of games for the system starting under the RPG genre. It's a good start, although that might exclude some titles that are more action-oriented that involve heavy usage of RPG mechanics.As for my personal choices, I recommend almost all Atlus-published titles as well as a few published by NIS America. I'm not a big fan of Disgaia, but Soul Nomad & the World Eaters is particularly good. Check out the Persona series if you can. You'll probably love Persona 3 and 4.If you can find it, the Arc The Lad Collection is a particularly good SRPG series, bundled together for your enjoyment. Since it is a limited edition boxset that has been discontinued, it may be too expensive however. Outside of that esoteric choice, you have a wide variety of games published by Square Enix themselves, such as Dragon Quest 8. It's always a good play.I second the recommendations for Valkyrie Profile and Vagrant Story, btw. I love both of those games dearly, but physical copies are definitely not easy to acquire. At least, the original ps1 version of Valkyrie Profile is a hard fetch. Not too certain about Vagrant Story, though.Good luck with your search! Whatever you find, I hope you enjoy it.

Have a look at the Tales of - series. I'd recommend Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube) and Tales of the Abyss (PS2). Both games have got a great plot and character development. Also pretty good voice casting. Oh, and don't forget about the AWESOME battle system. You should really check it out. Hope this helped :3

-reply by Rinsun

Good RPGs I recommend are:1) Disagea 1 & 2 - Fun, cutesy game, quite similar to Final fantasy tactics in gameplay except they added fun features like team combos etc, but really the game is really inviting for all types of players. The games story is serious actually but its riddled with jokes and comedy that you actually forget about it and how serious it is. I think its a game that you should take up or at least take a look into.2) Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, Final Mix, Chains of Memories, etc - Yes the Kingdom Hearts series has quite a few games. 1, 2 and Final Mix are the ones you probably are familiar with, it has a great battle system, not turn based and everything is just real time fun. Graphics are superb and the story is so inviting you have to wonder where did these people get the idea to mix japanese animation with disney characters and worlds. Chains of Memories uses the card system but its relatively the same just you use cards to execute your attacks, it was a slightly different battle system personally not my favorite but neither the less a unique one. There are some new ones out I think its about the organization 13, I have yet to played them but I believe the battle system is the same as 1 and 2.3) Tales of Destiny - Really good game, I liked it from the start but never was able to finish it. >.> Too much other games and time control was getting out of whack. But this game is fun and you have several characters to play with. Battling is real time although its not on stage, you battle on a alternative plain or basically the battle map of the area. They also implemented a VS mode so you can battle a friend.4) Star Ocean - Definitely a game to be picked up and to mention this game is very long. But the battling is pretty similar to Tales of Destiny. Great Story, Great Fun and implemented VS Mode to battle a friend as well.5) Pokemon - Childish game but still fun and they seem to be making tons and tons of different versions as time progresses.. Me myself has really kept up to date and all the games they have made... but the lastest one did seem very promising I think. Tons of pokemon to catch, tons of people to trade with and basically thats the game. :36) Monster Rancher - I know its an old game, but it was one of the games that kept me the most interested in the past XD. For the playstation version, you place in a disc and it reads it and pops out a monster from and disc you have! I'm not sure what math function they use for it but I had a real rare set of monsters xD. I guess I was lucky. Anywho it has things to do and your a breeder basically. What I liked about Monster Rancher over Pokemon was that you pet actually could die. Nothing lives forever at least it gives you an incentive to train other pets other than raising one pet forever and ever.7) Xenogears - Omg, one of the greatest games for the playstation system. Nice combo system and had anime cut scenes that was actually really cool back then, it still is actually. The game has a very rich storyline about Fei and his past and a few other very unique characters. (My favorite is Citan of course). Anywho this is a mech battle game as well and those mechs have combos and powers as well! Yes, nothing gets better than this. There is a game called Xenosaga which I believe is before Xenogears which is for the PS2, so you can pick up any of these games.8) Wild Arms Series - Don't know much about these games other than Wild Arms 1 and 2, but it was still fun in the old days. Basically just putting this up, you may preferably want the newer ones I guess which would be Wild Arms 5.9) The Legend of Dragoon - Another big hit upon the playstation 1. This game revolves around Dart and his friends stories, it has really good potential and really it was a breath of air during those times when it just came out. It was so slick and the graphics was good too.10) Ogre Battle 64 - Yes, a 64 game being my last one here, its really good game and you can have as many teams as possible to dispatch upon a map. I usually play this game hours on end. But it was sorta really easy to beat but despite that its fun, has several jobs and monsters to capture to strengthen your armies. <3 this game.There are several other RPGs but I cant really think of them right now or remember them, but perhaps a later date I'll put them down and give some feedback on them. <3

Good RPG GamesGood Rpg Game Besides Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy is a good seris but if you have a SNES then try these...

Mario RPG

Secret of Mana

Breath of Fire 1&2

Earthbound

Secret of Evermore

Chrono Trigger- Amazing RPG!

If you have a PS1 then you have a bigger selection, play these...

Chrono Cross

Legend Of Dragoon

Breath Of Fire 3&4

Grandia

Xenogears-Amazing RPG must play

Legend Of Mana

Tales Of Destiny 1&2

Saga Frontier

The Breath Of Fire Games, Tales Of Destiny 1&2, and Xenogears are very difficult to own but if you find a copy expect any of them to run over $40

With the exception of Secret of Evermore, all of these are very hard to get a hold of but if you manage a copy never let it go.

-reply by aaron jones

Try out the following games: Disagea Series, Kingdom Hearts series, Wild Arms, Xenosaga, Xenogears (My favorite game of all time), Breath of Fire games, Tales of Series, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Sword of Mana, Golden Sun, Fable and Star Ocean. There are probably a few more that I have forgotten to place upon this list but this is basically a good set to look at.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is my favourite RPG, I'd advise you to get the game of the year edition ( if you do decide to get the game!) as it comes with two additional games that are played via oblivion and are very good. Oblivion is a sandbox, free roaming style game, and you do not have to do any quests, not even the main quest.

Hi all, Does any1 know of any good RPG games for PS2 besides Final Fantasy, because i've had a hard time finding other good RPG games because only ff is good. If you know any can you please PM me or just post here. Thanks. Rock on Final Fantasy.

Ugh, I know that post is old, but it really does bug me when people talk as if Final Fantasy is the standard for which all other RPGs should follow. It also annoys me when people call Final Fantasy VII the best game of all time, as it isn't. The Final Fantasy series isn't bad, but it's not the best either. If you want to play a REAL good RPG, check out the Tales series. A good one to start on is Tales of Symphonia, it's easy to find copies of, and it has a really nice storyline, great voice actors, and is a lot of fun. Tales of the Abyss is also fun, but you'll have a hard time finding a copy. Tales of Vesperia is also awesome if you don't have a Gamecube (or Wii) or a PS2. One thing that initially made me like the Tales games is the real time battle system. It beats the heck out of waiting for your bar to load and selecting your attack from a list, like in Final Fantasy. They're also typically pretty long, (60 hours of gameplay on average) and have great replay value. (Unlockables, higher difficulties, etc.) The characters in them are really likable, far more so that the washed out, typical personalities seen in Final Fantasy. The Tales games are also multiplayer, four players can participate in the battles, which is really cool. All in all, the Tales games are more epic and more fun than Final Fantasy, I recommend you look into them. :P

Mount & blade and sid meier's PiratesBoth are completely open worlds. IMO, the only good RPGs allow you to create your own role.

-reply by Mammingdalafallafal

There a game called MapleStory. It's actually fun but you have to play for a game card to buy clothes.

Everyone knows Runescape I mean seriously, ask a newborn baby and he/she will know what it is.

Next game is Pirates Online made from Disney. I played it, it was fun for like 1 week.

Well that basically most games I used to play. Below are games that I heard of.

Silkroad

FlyFF also known as Fly For Fun

Adventure Quest (Same type as Dragon Fable)

Dofus

And many more. Got all games from http://play-free-online-games.com/games/games_rpg.html

another GREAT game that's still in the beta stage and runs purely off of donations it's better then runescape and you never get board of it. and it's not 2D it's 3D. and it's realistic too. it takes place in mid evil times with swords and stuff but unlike runescape where all you do is click. this is alot different and it's not revolved around quests like runescape although there are quests to do.they have daily special events like asid rain and whatnot and theres day and night.. yea. one real day is one game dayand it's world is HUGE in the 2 years I played it I never even saw the whole game because it's so hugejust exploring it is really funbtw it's called eternal lands http://www.eternal-lands.com/

Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

for console games i really like champions of norrath it's a pretty sweet game that did'nt get as much publicity as it deserves, you don't enter battles like final fantasy you just walk up and fight people which i like, but you do have items and levels and upgrades and etc. which make you better at the game, they even have it so you can play online, or you can play multiplayer with your friend using his or her memory cards and yours so he / she can help you fight through the harder levels.

I have to say I disagree heavily with your view point. I'm not saying that some of the statements you made aren't valid, but I must express that the characters in Tales are just as incredibly flat as some of the Final Fantasy characters can be (especially in the earlier years. As time has gone by, this has begun to be remedied).

Also, the Tales games are pretty anticlimatic. I was actually very disappointed when I played through ToS because they tended to beat you over the head with this desperate situation that you thought would cause a huge hindrance to your journey... And then it ends up resolved in less than five seconds by the most convenient measures of out there luck. =| The ending was terribly corny, too. XD; But for the sake of not giving away spoilers, I'll leave it at that.

Hi all, Does any1 know of any good RPG games for PS2 besides Final Fantasy, because i've had a hard time finding other good RPG games because only ff is good. If you know any can you please PM me or just post here. Thanks. Rock on Final Fantasy.

Shadow hearts all three of them are good
grandia 3
xenosaga episode III if you havent played the other two dont worry about it they kinda suck
Atlier atlis i think thats the title if not its something similar
valkyrie profile II samaria
Radiata stories
Star ocean III till the end of time<<<<this one gets kinda difficult close to the end of the first disk
disgia hour of darkness
kingdom hearts II
full metal alchamist the second one
Tales of the abyss