xisto Community
Wasted

Global Warming: Science And Politics Do Battle

A little advice before comments...try a little harder to make posts than copying the first sentence from the article and throwing the link, it would make the post more appealing on discussions, perhaps your opinion...As about myself, i'm right now working on my university degree paperwork on renewable sources of energy focusing on geothermal heat pump systems and got freaked of how many things i've learned about global warming and those warming and green gas pollution statistics killed my flight...it's awfull what is happening with our planet and changes in politics are so slow because money count first, no one cares their children will see (or live) Katrina-like catastrophies increasingly often.

Edited by realthor (see edit history)

I find it tremendously outrageous and feel embarrassed for those who are still denying the existance of global warming. The facts were printed on paper by the scientists a while ago now, and we're seeing evidence of this. Every. Single. Day. Some are more drastic than others, with the hardly noticeable (to the regular humans) sea level risings, and the hurricanes repeatedly hitting Florida and everyone in that area. Those damn hurricanes should be good enough examples. Rising temperatures = more storms because storms, and wind, receive their source from the unequal solar heating. So now that we're seeing more storms and more heat, it should be obvious to everyone that the temperatures are going up. Gosh.

I find it tremendously outrageous and feel embarrassed for those who are still denying the existance of global warming.

No actual evidence has been found to prove that Global Warming is caused by greenhouse gases (I assume when you say global warming that's what you mean, since no-one can deny the planet is heating up, just its cause). The evidence would come from satellites and weather balloons and they would find an increased rate of warming in the troposphere, which is where these "greenhouse gases" are. They have found none.

SOURCE: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/categories

sea level risings

Sea levels won't be rising if the planet is heating up. Here's a basic scientific principal - when a liquid freezes, the area it takes up increases. If you don't believe me, fill a water bottle to its maximum capacity put it in a freezer overnight. See what happens.

This is a lump of ice in an Arctic ocean:

Posted Image

As you can see, a lot of the ice is in the ocean and not above its surface. The ice collapses and melts as part of the normal Spring cycle. The sea levels fall:

Posted Image

This is because the area of the water in its solid form is less than that of it in its liquid form. The vast majority of the ice was in the ocean's water so the water levels fall - maybe by not as much as is shown in the diagram but that was exaggerated so you could notice is more easily.

[hr=shade]One of the funniest things about this "idea", is what hypocrites the supporters are. I bet 90% of all the people who complain about how little people are doing via the internet are using an electricity company that sources most of its electricity from "dangerous" fuels.[/hr]

One of the funniest things about this "idea", is what hypocrites the supporters are. I bet 90% of all the people who complain about how little people are doing via the internet are using an electricity company that sources most of its electricity from "dangerous" fuels.

That's true, but what other choice do people have? Not everyone can afford enough solar panels to power their whole house. And your source - it's laughable. They obviously have an agenda their pushing, look at the title! Haha.

Here is an article in the New York Times (the newspaper of record) citing a UN report saying that people have caused global warming.

Here is an article on Grist citing a report by the Pentagon on global warming.

Here is a link to the Pentagon report in a pdf file.

Here is a NewScientist report citing a White House report that says people are, indeed, the cause global warming.

Here is a BBC news article citing a UK government report about global warming.

I could find many more sources but I'm tired of doing that. Also, if you believe that global warming is false because you believe if the glaciers melt that sea levels will lower - you're quite funny. ;) Besides - that isn't what the problem is. The problem is all the fresh water that is affecting the ocean after the glaciers melt.

People, people, we have just been living in an ice age and are still slowly coming out of it. If you take for example my country The Netherlands, a 10.000 years ago snow would be in pretty much 60% of the country alll year long, then a 1.000 year later, it's all gone, which is a much more drastic change then we have at the moment. Also, people keep blaming the co2 gasses, but during all that time, the amount of co2 gas in the air was much higher then it is now. Global warming is a fact and mankind will probably contribute to it a little, but figures of 4-5 degrees celcius each 100 years is insane.

Ok, I might be sounding a little selfish here. But I personally don't care about global warming. People worry about it a lot. It's not like the polar Ice caps are going to melt in a few years. I still think it will take hundreds of years and I am not going to be in this world for that long. So who cares? But I still think we should care about our environment and don't spoil things for ourselves and generations to come. So what I do is? Well I keep myself and my room clean. I don't litter. I guess that should be enough.

People that are ignorant to global warming really peeve me off! My parents arent really caring about it because they wont feel the effects, well I will and they should care.I think that we are going to go back in time. Air travel will not exist, we will have to go back about 200 years to the simple life... and NOT have the chance to improve it. Eventually we will get tv's but everything will have to run from natural sources, eg. water cars which break down water into hydrogen and oxygen, run off the hydrogen and give out oxygen... the only clean burning cars.People say "enjoy things while u can" well if we resist, and DONT enjoy them, the effects will be less. It is CERTAIN that we are doomed unless we can find a way to split massive amounts of CO2 into Carbon and oxygen, that would be good!

Well, seeing is believing, you know. But of course, I DO NOT deny global warming. The effect is not very obvious till recent years. Actually, there is an increasing number of people believing the effect of global warming and the disasters that will be brought about in tens of years. Old people won't witness that day, neither do mid-aged people. When today's young ones become mid-aged, they will pay the price.Reduce emission of greenhouse gases is indeed important, especially for America. A longer term method is certainly to develop renewable energy sources. If we can ever develop nuclear fusion successfully, Earth will be saved as the only product of nuclear fusion is helium, a harmless inert gas. I'm looking forward to seeing the day when power plants no longer emit sooty smoke but white steam only.