xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chez

Internet Does Not Connect

Kind of a weird problem I had since two weeks ago. Ironically, for how much I thought i was addicited to the net, i can live without it, on and off, while using the university's pcs for my every-other-day emailing, etc. But it's annoying. I can't go online for CoD2 anymore. My life revolves around non-MP Oblivion, as fun as it is, I miss good ol' Mr. Net.It all started when I installed the lastest Firefox upgrade form their official website. Installed it, restarted, that error window pops up that says, basically, firefox cannot connect. be it me being not connected physically, a firewall, permissions, etc. Just unplug your ethernet and open firefox. same error. anyways, I'm using a belkin 125g wireless PCI card with some SLX-something router. Worked with the old version of firefox so I think the system just doesn't let firefox access the net. Trillian still connects, though only the AIM section. MSN on trillian no longer connects. I run ad-aware, zone-alarm and antivir so I'm pretty sure it's not a virus or malware. I only have XP SP1 and cannot upgrade to SP2 (for various reasons). Friends tell me to simply add firefox to the list of allowed programs, but I hate windows and can't find the damned option anywhere. Myabe SP1 doesn't have it. All i get in network connections is a little checkbox that says "firewall me" or some such thing.I guess mac users don't know about how extensive they are because they don't need to ask for help on things that SHOULD be as simple as internet connection. Windows, I feel, is an unintentional myspace. :angry:IDEAS? Screenshots helpful, but if you have the same OS setup as me, I can figure it out. cheers

First question: Are you still able to visit webpages with other browsers and access the internet?

Since Trillian is able to connect, I'd assume you can still access the internet. The problem of your latest version of Firefox not connecting to the internet might be due to the proxy settings. Schools usually have proxies which you will have to get onto it to use the internet. If you still remember, or still have the information of the configurations of your previous Firefox version, try changing or editing your proxy settings manually for your current version. See screenshot below.

Posted Image

If your Internet Explorer is still able to surf webpages, then you can also take reference from its proxy configuration for your Firefox. In the screenshot, there sin't any proxies set on my computer because I'm using it at home, hence I don't need a proxy. If you have text available on that Address textbox, copy it and paste on your Firefox configuration. Make sure the port number is the same as well. See screenshot below.

Posted Image

Your Firefox should be then able to surf webpages again.

Alot of servers are set up to enable standard internet explorer settings on all browsers which blocks all browsers from bypassing the websense or similar firewall. I used to use portable firefox but I can no longer bypass the firewall with it. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is good proxy site and is free. Or alternatively use the IP address for http://netsack.net/ (This site is better but is blocked by websense, can only be accessed by pinging the site on your command prompt and using the IP address instead of the Web address) Pinging alot of your fav sites will work but firewall providers have caught onto this and are beginning to block some.(for those who dont know how to ping, you simply type in the word PING followed by a space and the web address for the site you want, hit enter and the command prompt will show you the IP address. Use this instead of standard web address)

It sound a problem with the MS TCP, maybe you catch a virus.If after you check your system and still is bad the internet connection, backup all your documents and settings and reinstall the OS.

Having the same issue with IE/Firefox

Internet Does Not Connect

I'm having almost the exact same problem. I updated Firefox and it stopped working, not able to connect to any websites. I was using IE for a week or so and just now it stopped working also, that is how I ended up at this forum. I read another post that mentioned something about ISPs not having compatible DNS servers, which sort of makes sense, because sometimes instead of getting the 'unable to connect' error, I get an 'invalid name' error, and the address bar resolves to 'ctrl:///'. Very interesting indeed. I can still connect to AIM on the PC, and my laptop is not having any problems with websites (that is on the wireless, the PC that is giving me the problem is hard-wired.) I'll be back with an answer if I find it...If not, the next step will be a reformat. I've been meaning to do that anyway...

-reply by Giro

Having similar issue on firefoxInternet Does Not ConnectI have recently installed the addon "FoxyProxy" for Firefox, and whenever I try to use a proxy with it, web pages take too long to time in. Using an unmasked IP I can connect fine, but not with a proxy.

If you have connectivity problems, the first thing to do is use the ping utility.Typically, this is how the pro's do it:1. Ping your loopback address - that is 127.0.0.1. If this works successfully, it tells you that tcp/ip is functioning correctly on your own computer.2. Ping your local ip address, this will verify that your network adapter works and ip address is configured.3. Ping the default gateway too see if the computer has communication with the local subnet and that the gateway is online.4.Ping an ip address outside the local gateway to see if data is getting forwarded beyond your network.5. Ping local and remote hosts by name and make sure dns works.If it all works, you are connected. If not, you 'll know where the problem starts.

try to ping to addressand also try to connect via another portor try contacting your network person you can also try changing the ips as in my case or try asking the network person to get it done for you

i have done setup of ICS but i m unable to surf internet Internet Does Not Connect

I have 1 Broad-Band connection one desktop with wireless adopter & laptop with wi-fi

I have done complete setup of ICS both system. ICS has also alot ipTo  my laptop it is also showing good W.Less connective but I m unableTo surf internet & ping to any public server like4.2.2.2...Yahoo.Com

pls let me know where 's the problem what it's solution

I hope I sure will get the reply...

-reply by harsh

internet wonInternet Does Not Connect

This is what happened..My daughter and hubby were living with us,.So he put a wireless router.When they moved he took the wire less router..Since then I had problem connect to the internet.. I did a misconfig and then I did a misconfig all.It says can not find ip adress I have xp..Just to let you know, we have another comp on the same cable.Works great..We are both running  XP..I even put in a new Ethernet card

-question by peter