xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ataylor

Anyone Play Quake 4 Why doesnt anybody play quake these days?

I was wondering. Why was the first 3 quakes such a hit (maybe not the first) But when quake 4 came out, it was just like everyone died. Quake 4 rules online, and I think that is something we should all experience, so just to let you know. Who actually does play Quake 4?

I do, though not all that often - I tend to get scared when big bloody zombies pop out of corners in the dark. I guess Quake 4 was released a while later than Doom 3, but offered very little in the way of innovation. The great thing about Quake has been its multiplayer (well at least in Quake 3), which was the selling point of the game. With Quake 4, however, they moved back to a single player focus, with a rather elementary online mode. In essence, they turned away from the concepts that made Quake 3 great. Also, it's probably why it seems "no-one" plays it - probably because they only play it offline.

Quake 4 Was DeepAnyone Play Quake 4

Quake 4 was way deeper than Quake 3 as far as movement and strategy goes.  Power-slides and incline launches made the gameplay intense.

Because of the deeper mechanics, the difference in skill was far greater than that of other games, which made the barrier to entry too high for newbs.  I was no beast by any means, but I could hold my own.  However if I had no Quake / Painkiller experience, I probably would have gave up very quickly on the game because no one likes to get raped 50 to 4 in a 10 man ffa game.

Not sure why you say that they gave up on the online aspect of it, they had several quake 3 maps in it, or at the very least community ports of the old maps.  If you ask me, gameplay was even faster in Quake 4 mainly because you didn't have to slow down flying around corners, you could keep your strafe jump going.