xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wolverine

Try To Make Con Folder In Microsoft Os Reason why u cant make some folder names in win os

Guys try to make con folder in win oscan u??? yes ??? no???Answer is No, bcoz their few names :angry: CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, LPT9 can be more too.are all Windows reserved device names from the early days of DOS.i tried this in CMD"mkdir \\.\c:\CON"This will create CON folder in e: drive.u will Reply from OSThe directory name is invalid.Try if u get success....somehow... :angry:

I just tried it, and if you try and create the folders the usual way, by right clicking and selecting New Folder, if you type one of those names in, it won't change the name, but you get no error messages or any explanation at all. Typical Microsoft :angry: You also cannot use the names for files either. It's all down to some basic error checking Microsoft started when DOS was used as the main front for PCs, which prevented device names cropping up in folder and file commands. Microsoft released a few patches for Windows 98, but they didn't really fix it, and I can't find anything for XP. Supposedly there are a few workarounds for it, but they take ages, and it hardly seems worth it. Interesting find, though, Wolverine.

They're different communication ports... that's why... it will confuse windows if you have a file called that, there's one way thoughopen command prompt, and open task managerwith command prompt open, go to task manager and click processes, end explorer.exe, your taskmanager a desktop will disapear, leave task manager open, in command prompt type cd X:documents and settingsuserdesktop (where X is your hard drive letter and user is your username), type mkdir con, this should do it, this can also brutuly mess around with your PC <.<

We can create a con folder with the following steps-Type the name of folder - con - then hold ALT key and now press 255 from the num pad.You will see a folder on your desktop with name-con-ankit garg

Use this commandMd.see:conIt will make you the required folder and you will not be able to delete it..As normally you do to delete it use the following commandRd.See:conOrRmdir.see:con-reply by Ranjeet Malik

Make con folder

Try To Make Con Folder In Microsoft Os

We can create a con folder with the following steps are ...

Type the name of folder .. Con ... Then hold ALT key and now press 0160 from the num pad.

You will see a folder on your desktop with name con

-reply by Hitesh

Replying to WolverineI was created this are all folder CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, LPT9 on the desktopPhone #-91-9966397790-reply by venkat Reddy

Replying to WolverineI was created and deletedThis are all folder CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, LPT9 on the desktop-reply by bajrang lal prajapat

This should do itTry To Make Con Folder In Microsoft Os

Try this command in the command prompt.

open the command prompt then type this to create a folder name con in the C: drive

mkdir .C:Con this works and I have tried it in windows xp and it works trust me.

To remove the folder

Now the folder cannot be removed from the Windows Explorer or My Computer which we usually use to delete the folder

This is the command use to delete the folder

rmdir .C:Con this will remove the folder from the C: drive 

Gregory Rodrigues

This is the answer to the question matesTry To Make Con Folder In Microsoft Os

Try this mates

in the command promp type this and it will create a folder name con in c drive

mkdir .C:con

to remove the folder this is the command

rmdir .C:con

This works 100%

So check it out mates

and tell me if it doesnt work

Okay I have tried this on Microsoft Windows XP

So if you are using any other operating system well I don't know whether it will work or not but you can go ahead and try.

Regards,

Gregory