xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mich

File Backups from cpanel How to download and store using Dialup?

public_html

These two folders are the exact same thing and will take you to the files available to be seen on your website. The index page to your site will be in there and it doesn't matter which one you use but whatever files you want to put on your web site for download or to be used as your actual web page will go in there.

Well, I have a problem with this. I have never uploaded anything to the www folder and suddenly I get a "warning" that I am using up too much of my alloted space and that I should remove some files. When I checked my file manager the www folder has mirrored the public_html folder. I have uploaded 60.5mg to my public_html folder and with the www folder mirror, it has increased my disk use to double that amount. :angry: Can I remove the files from the www folder? I certainly don't need every file up there twice. P.S. Any idea what created the files in the www folder? Edited by Mich (see edit history)

No, don't do that Mich. If you delete a file from the www folder, it is no longer available in the public_html, either. The www folder is just an alias, for public_html, meaning if you point to the www folder, you are mirrored to the public_html where the actual files exist. They only exist once, but can be pointed to from either the public_html or the www folders. There is only one physical copy up there. If you delete a file from either pblic_html or www, it is gone from both of them...

No, don't do that Mich. If you delete a file from the www folder, it is no longer available in the public_html, either. The www folder is just an alias, for public_html, meaning if you point to the www folder, you are mirrored to the public_html where the actual files exist. They only exist once, but can be pointed to from either the public_html or the www folders. There is only one physical copy up there. If you delete a file from either pblic_html or www, it is gone from both of them...

I think I may have found my problem. I had a backup file stored on site. Removing this put me back at 69.54, which is closer to the 65 that I have uploaded. If I make another backup, where do I store the silly thing? Download it to my puter?

I think I may have found my problem. I had a backup file stored on site. Removing this put me back at 69.54, which is closer to the 65 that I have uploaded. If I make another backup, where do I store the silly thing? Download it to my puter?

Exactly, download the backup file to your computer. The point of having the backup is if the server's hard drive crashes, you then have a complete copy of your site you can upload. If you save the backup on the server and the hard drive crashes you won't be able to access the backup either. So it's kinda pointless to save it on the server really.

It's like keeping archive copies of paper files "off site", the point here is if the building burns down, you will still have your archive files because they are kept off site. Makes perfect sense really. :angry:

Exactly, download the backup file to your computer. The point of having the backup is if the server's hard drive crashes, you then have a complete copy of your site you can upload. If you save the backup on the server and the hard drive crashes you won't be able to access the backup either. So it's kinda pointless to save it on the server really.

What about the Members using Dial-up? A 65 Meg download will take forever and use a great deal of their alloted Bandwidth. Are there any alternatives to lessen the impact? Can they somehow get the files directly from the cpanel to an off-site Storage Archive without using their modems to download then upload? I'm thinking there must be another way to handle these large files. I'm on Cable DSL, so it isn't a big deal for me, but some users (and I think Mich is one of them) are restricted to dial-up.

What about the Members using Dial-up? A 65 Meg download will take forever and use a great deal of their alloted Bandwidth. Are there any alternatives to lessen the impact? Can they somehow get the files directly from the cpanel to an off-site Storage Archive without using their modems to download then upload?

Yup. Some programs like SmartFTP allow a direct server to server transfer via ftp. You provide login information for both of the servers and it does the rest. Also, if you're ok with doing it by hand you should be able to log into a shell via ssh on one of the servers and scp or sftp the file over to the other server (assuming that they're both linux boxes).

Forgot to ask in my previous reply. If you upload your files to the www folder are they mirrored in the public_html folder in the same manner?

It's like keeping archive copies of paper files "off site", the point here is if the building burns down, you will still have your archive files because they are kept off site. Makes perfect sense really. :D

Yeh, and I just spent 3 1/2 hours downloading it on my 56K modem. :angry: My husband was not a happy camper, but I did manage to get it done even though he accidently picked up the phone at one point. As jlhaslip says, some of us are restricted to this archaic method. I am in a rather remote area of northern lower Michigan in the middle of a National Forest. As well as the 56K modem, we are also on a pulse phone system. :angry:

Yup. Some programs like SmartFTP allow a direct server to server transfer via ftp. You provide login information for both of the servers and it does the rest. Also, if you're ok with doing it by hand you should be able to log into a shell via ssh on one of the servers and scp or sftp the file over to the other server (assuming that they're both linux boxes).

I use WS_FTP, but this method is way beyond my comprehension anyway. I guess I will have to stick with what I know I can do at this point. Thanks for the input, tho. Edited by Mich (see edit history)

Forgot to ask in my previous reply. If you upload your files to the www folder are they mirrored in the public_html folder in the same manner?

Basically, your www directory works like a shortcut to a program or a folder does in windows. So, public_html and www both point to exactly the same place. I'm guessing that www's just a symlink right?

I use WS_FTP, but this method is way beyond my comprehension anyway. I guess I will have to stick with what I know I can do at this point. Thanks for the input, tho.

It's actually really easy to move files from one server to another. All you have to do is open up both servers and drag the files from one to the other, much like you would move a file from your computer to a server. Please don't give up on it because you think it's too comlicated. SmartFTP's free if you do want to try it. Also, it has a tutorial (which'd probably take you forever to download) on moving files between servers here. Just click on the link called "FXP - Direct".

It's actually really easy to move files from one server to another. All you have to do is open up both servers and drag the files from one to the other, much like you would move a file from your computer to a server. Please don't give up on it because you think it's too comlicated. SmartFTP's free if you do want to try it. Also, it has a tutorial (which'd probably take you forever to download) on moving files between servers here. Just click on the link called "FXP - Direct".

You mean like pull the program up twice opening one to one server and the other copy to the second server, then drag and drop files from on copy to the other? Sounds not so complicated if this is how it is done. :angry:

Yes.. Whatever you see in www folder, it's exactly the same as public_html folder. In fact, both folders point to the same directory in the server. Hence your files in there exists only once, not twice. Deleting a file in either folder affects both. Think one of them as a shortcut, it's pretty logical.

Yeh, and I just spent 3 1/2 hours downloading it on my 56K modem. :angry: My husband was not a happy camper, but I did manage to get it done even though he accidently picked up the phone at one point. As jlhaslip says, some of us are restricted to this archaic method. I am in a rather remote area of northern lower Michigan in the middle of a National Forest. As well as the 56K modem, we are also on a pulse phone system. :angry:

I use WS_FTP, but this method is way beyond my comprehension anyway. I guess I will have to stick with what I know I can do at this point. Thanks for the input, tho.

I've used SmartFTP for awhile some time ago. I'm not sure about it's full features. I believe it can resume downloads which is very useful for you on 56k modem. I believe the servers support resuming too. Hence you need not wait for hours just to download one file. Anyway, how did you manage to get it donw on a 56k connection when your husband picked up the phone? I though it suppose to disconnect and you would have to redownload everything again. It's very lucky that you get it done because I'll be very annoyed if it's me. I'll give up..

You mean like pull the program up twice opening one to one server and the other copy to the second server, then drag and drop files from on copy to the other? Sounds not so complicated if this is how it is done. :D

It means SmartFTP is able to download your file with multiple connections to the server. It's a common feature among most download managers. In other words, the program made it such that you are downloading similar 5 files form the server and merge all of the 5 parts together at the end of the download. This gives better efficiency and speeds up downloads. Because some servers have a maximum cap of bandwidth per connection, multiple connections will mean it can go beyond the maximum cap the number of times your program can connect. Hence that improves download speed. Edited by Inspiron (see edit history)

It is recommended that you create periodic backups of your site.Even if the HDD CRASHES, They don't crash completely and only some part of the HDD is not recoverable. Having backups increases your probability for data recovery.We do have our own backup systems too, but Our Backup system takes only one backup per week. So, if you want to save a snap shot or if you are going to do a major change, its much better to have a backup. You will be working on the safe edge. :angry:

It means SmartFTP is able to download your file with multiple connections to the server. It's a common feature among most download managers. In other words, the program made it such that you are downloading similar 5 files form the server and merge all of the 5 parts together at the end of the download. This gives better efficiency and speeds up downloads. Because some servers have a maximum cap of bandwidth per connection, multiple connections will mean it can go beyond the maximum cap the number of times your program can connect. Hence that improves download speed.

Well I downloaded Smart FTP last night and installed it. Now I have to tackle learning how to use it. I have been using WS_ftp which is a very simple program. Smart FTP looks a little more complicated. :angry: I guess I will find lots of use for the Help file. Thanks for the imput.

You mean like pull the program up twice opening one to one server and the other copy to the second server, then drag and drop files from on copy to the other? Sounds not so complicated if this is how it is done.

Actually, that's almost exactly what I mean. The only difference is that you open up both of the servers in the same program -- it'll allow you to do more than one at once. Doesn't sound too bad, does it :-) Try it and tell me how you like it.

Edit: I didn't see your response when I posted this (silly next page button). SmartFTP's much easier than it looks. If you have any specific questions or problems with it, I'd be happy to answer them over PM.
Edited by WindAndWater (see edit history)