xisto Community
Zythrix

I'm Going To Kill My Computer Before It Kills Me. Its just one thing after another...

well Zythrix, the beauty of a linux live-cd is that you don't need to know anything about linux or change anything on your hard drive to use it. you pop the cd in and it boots up a fully usable operating system, if you have broadband i'd suggest looking around at some of the live cds available, if you don't try one called "damn small linux" which is only about 50 MB (and fits on one of those mini-cds)

I gave up on the support for Age of Empires II from microsoft ages ago. Problem caused by this annoying computer, which just deletes stuff on its own whims. I its again that time for windows to be reinstalled even after keeping it flawlessly virus free - why can't someone make a simpler system that does not destroy itself nearly as much as this one does :angry:

So, I had an issue a while back with my computer. The power supply had died. The computer sat dormant for about a month before it was fixed. So, last night, after putting the power supply in, I boot up the computer and everything is dandy. Then the processor fan decides to start making noise. Usually I can just kind of push gently on one part of it and the noise will go away. But no, not this time. The noise got, easily, 20 times louder. So I shut my box down and pulled the fan and heat sink. I fiddled with the fan for a bit.. took a sticker off.. adjusted a clip.. put it all back together and it was fine.
So I boot the box back up.. and it just hangs at boot up after the memory test. I try various things (re-seating the ram, all PCI devices, removing any unnecessary devices, etc etc. It just wouldn't work. So I shut it off and went to bed.

By any chance did you also have a memory problem with your computer that kept scanning the memory over and over again? Maybe I'm just being too speculative but it reminds me much of issues I've had with my computer. My power supply blew out one night, with a huge pair of sparks the size of watermelons while I happened to be looking in its direction when the light in the room was turned off. I left it and dealt with it in the morning- having to get a new power supply, not a month, but year.

After that, I then had a problem with my fan, and still do today- it makes a grinding, buzzing sound at times but like you I can lightly tap it and it goes away (or could..). Was your system an 800mghz by any chance? I don't know much about my computer, but am just throwing that out there in case perhaps, you never know, a coincidence or something.

It's too late to comment and help but some of my views:

So, I had an issue a while back with my computer. The power supply had died. The computer sat dormant for about a month before it was fixed.

Didn't have an UPS?
The biggest vulnerability of a computer is interruption in Power Suply.
It is a must In India (because of frequent powercuts). I never encounter such a problem even though the current has given up a lot of times.

So, last night, after putting the power supply in, I boot up the computer and everything is dandy. Then the processor fan decides to start making noise. Usually I can just kind of push gently on one part of it and the noise will go away. But no, not this time.

You were encountering this problem a lot of times? You could have taken care of it before it grew worse. But anyways, you are a powerful mechanic!

The noise got, easily, 20 times louder. So I shut my box down and pulled the fan and heat sink. I fiddled with the fan for a bit.. took a sticker off.. adjusted a clip.. put it all back together and it was fine.
So I boot the box back up.. and it just hangs at boot up after the memory test. I try various things (re-seating the ram, all PCI devices, removing any unnecessary devices, etc etc. It just wouldn't work. So I shut it off and went to bed.

I wake up today.. boot up the computer.. all is well! It boots up to Windows and I attempt to login. But after I move the mouse for about 3 inches I get a b.s.o.d "Hardware Error. Call vendor for support" .

This happened to me too but that was only because loose connection of USB Ports.

So, I reboot again and it boots fine again.. no blue screens or anything.. except one problem. The mouse isn't working at all. So, I swap it between a couple different USB ports and such and reboot a couple times.. and then it works.
Now my current problem is random lock-ups and sometimes my mouse cursor will freeze but the mouse still works. Meaning you can move around and click stuff but the cursor doesn't move and you can't see where you're clicking until you click.

Thats strange. You'd better follow what your computer tells: "Call vendor for support"

Like I say, it's just been one thing after another lol. I don't do anything wrong when I'm putting them together. I don't treat it badly when it's running. It doesn't have viruses or adware or anything like that. I just have the absolute worse luck with computers heh.

Do you have an Antivirus program? I guess you do. But be aware that even the greatest Antivirus companies probe into only 80% of the world's total viruses.

One of my experiences: Everything was working fine until one day I switched on the plug, then the UPS and then the CPU. But my CPU is not starting. I was in utter need of it because I had done some Biology assignment in it. But I had to face my lecturer that day. The next day, everything was fine!

I would suspect internal cabling and case temperature. It sounds like you are using a USB mouse, so the connection could be suspect. Case heat - caused by the fan issue - could be causing a lot of your problems as well, especially since you have a lot of RAM intensive components...DDR vid cards can produce a LOT of heat.

well, at least you have hardware problems... i'm currently experiencing the worst virus attack since i was in kinder.... and my antivirus application can't even fix it!!!why is this happening to me now?! i have so many things to do and i have a deadline to catch!!!!

By any chance did you also have a memory problem with your computer that kept scanning the memory over and over again? Maybe I'm just being too speculative but it reminds me much of issues I've had with my computer. My power supply blew out one night, with a huge pair of sparks the size of watermelons while I happened to be looking in its direction when the light in the room was turned off. I left it and dealt with it in the morning- having to get a new power supply, not a month, but year.
After that, I then had a problem with my fan, and still do today- it makes a grinding, buzzing sound at times but like you I can lightly tap it and it goes away (or could..). Was your system an 800mghz by any chance? I don't know much about my computer, but am just throwing that out there in case perhaps, you never know, a coincidence or something.

He specifically stated his computer ran at 2.4 gh/z. Also processor clock does not have anything to do with the fans.

I would suspect internal cabling and case temperature. It sounds like you are using a USB mouse, so the connection could be suspect. Case heat - caused by the fan issue - could be causing a lot of your problems as well, especially since you have a lot of RAM intensive components...DDR vid cards can produce a LOT of heat.

By internal cabling, what do you mean? Every computer has cables on the inside. How could a HDD transfer files between the CD-ROM without an IDE cable?

I'm having some problems with my computer as well. I'm thinking of just getting a lab-top, they're small, efficient, and take up less space.

Make sure you get a laptop that has good ratings. Hardware issues on a laptop are the last thing you'd ever want :rolleyes:

I think your plan A is much better: Kill it before it kills you! :P

My computer used to have a lot of problems, but that was because I had a psycho ex who was logging on as me and installing malicious software into it while I was sleeping.

I know it sounds paranoid, but I actually had to have the POLICE come in to remove the software. They also found email tracking software, which meant that everytime I sent any email from any of my accounts, and any email was sent to me, it was automatically forwarded to my pscho ex-boyfriend. How creepy is that?

So the police removed that as well and are charging him with stalking, invasion of privacy, and a bunch of other things. It's sick that people get away with this but it happens all the time. I'm glad I was smart enough to get the police involved.