xisto Community
Hakkera

Audio Speakers?

Hi,I have two large loudspeakers sat on my desk, and they are connected to a HiFi, I personally see this as a bit of a waste of space as I also have to have PC speakers on my desk as well. I would like to connect the PC to these HiFi speakers. I have a 5.1 Headset, and this offers some ports for me to connect in 6 HiFi Speakers. When I connect mine in, they work, but they are very quiet. Seeing as the speakers volume control is on the HiFi itself, I have no way of turning them up externally. Does anyone know of a progrma that I can use to boost the output sound of my computer?

Yeah, if the sound is turned up all the way in windows then that's the best you got. You can buy some pretty cheep amps, and I hear they aren't that hard to make it you have the time and patience (plus the parts).

I went down to a local technology store in Australia known as *BLEEP* Smith, Inside there are many different electronic parts and also has some kits that you can make but you may need to buy a help book. These kits are very good and i myself had to make a doorbell from one of the kits for school. They had a very cheap amplifier kit and maybe if you dont live in Australia you could try ebay to get a good deal.My friend had ordered an amplifier from Ebay (the american one) and he got it for one dollar, he was really lucky.

Because the speakers are actually quite decent, Surround headsets are useful for gaming, but when I am just relaxing and listening to music, there is not all that much point in wearing a headset. Okay guys, thanks, I will check in town tomorrow to see if I can pick up a cheap amp. I am in the UK, and I am looking on eBay also.

This will not happen because speakers are built to provide more than enough volume, rather than having a quiet sound. Check if your drivers are updated and correct as this controls your speakers on your operating system. Also, check if you got all the volume levels set to the maximum in the volume control in the Control Panel. For everything else, set them to maximum levels as well because you can then control your eventual volumn physically on your speakers.

Are u using a system of splitters to make the hifi speakers fit, if so this may be whats making it quiet. Most cheap speakers nowadays have a built in amplifier that should work fine:try looking at http://www.maplin.co.uk/ - they also sell those kits that antwill was talking about cheaply.

This happens because sound from most soundcards to external source (in your case your speakers) uses low voltage for signal transfer (don't hold my word for it, but I believe it's +/-1.25 volts)... Your speakers are meant to be connected to HiFi device, which provides higher voltages, that your speakers need to operate properly... What you need to do, is connect your speaker output, to your AUX IN, or simmilar input port on your HiFi... Usualy those connect woth two RCA jacks, one for left, and one for right audio signal... I'm sure you can find premade TRS jack to 2 RCA jack cables (1 3.5" stereo jack, to 2 RCA's)... Then you can use your HiFi to turn up, or turn down your volume...

Or you could make your own cable, it's quite easy, I'll draw up a scheme for you:

Here's 3.5" stereo jack, or TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve)
- Tip is usualy used for LEFT audio signal
- Ring is used for RIGHT audio signal
- Sleeve is used for grounding signal

SLEEVE	 RING	 TIP__	  |		|	  |  |_____|____  __|__	|  |		  ##	 ##__|__   |		  ##	 ##	 \  |		  ##	 ##_____/  |__________##_____##__|

I don't actualy have the time to draw RCA jack, but you can Google for it, and you'll see how it looks... Outside ring is usualy used for grounding, and inside pin is used for audio signal... So technically, you need four wires to make this TRS-RCA cable... Two wires used for LEFT audio, and two for RIGHT audio...

I'm sure I'm not making any sense, but I'll make a drawing when I get home, and explain it little better...

Thank you for your detailed replies, however I have decided to move my HiFi out of the office and use it for its intended purpose. I have got a hold of some Logitech 5.1 surround speakers, which are just great for blasting out the loud music, and even better for watching films on.