xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xJedix

Computer Errors

Well, first I will start with the basics.

My computer is a 1 ghz amd processor.
640mb ram
32mb nvidia graphics card
running windows 2000

What my problem is, is that I have been getting blue screen of death errors, with the following message. (its not always the same, but similar)

*** STOP: 0x0000004E (0x00000099, 0x00FFFFFF, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)PFN_LIST_CORRUPTBeginning dumb of physical memoryPhysical memory dumb complete.  Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

What is this message saying? I have been occasionally getting this and similar other messages as of late. I did get these like 2 months ago, re-installed my operating system and it was fine. Now they are appearing again. If anyone can give me information on what this is or what might be causing it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, please inform me if you require any additional information to identify the problem. Thanks

The error means that a program or driver has done something to the RAM that it shouldn't have done. The main cause is usually corrupt or out-of-date drivers writing to memory that they don't "own". Reinstalling the OS would stop them appearing as your drivers would get removed, but once you reinstall that dodgy driver, the problem will return. Have you installed any hardware recently, or done any updates? If so, that may be the cause of the problem.You could also try one of the many memory diagnostic tools out there to see if there is a problem with the RAM.

hmm, there isn't really anything that I can remember that I installed before I started getting these errors. If I can remember right, they just started happening. Is there a program to check your drivers for your hardware to see if you can find the one with the conflict?Also, is there any memory diagnostic tools that you would recommend me using? Thanks

A few memory benchmark tools can be these..
http://www.passmark.com/products/pt_advmem.htm
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Anyway, since you said you had these similar error messages before you reformatted your computer, it could be that the programs you install reulting in this situation. You have installed a new program or a program which seemed new to you or a program not properly patched.

I am having similar problems now, after just reformatting my computer. Previously I was using Norton Internet Security. Because of the system resources that it took, I decided to stop using it and switch to other free alternatives of antivirus and firewall. I'm installed AVG antivirus and OutPost Free firewall on my newly formatting harddisk. I am still new to these programs and require some time to get use to their behavior as they are pretty different for Norton's system. Recently I'm receiving BSOD. I thought that I was infected with virus or my computer was hecked, because I still cannot trust the new secuity software then still. I took down the messages and searched the internet and realised it's an error caused by a bad code from the firewall. It was the firewall software fault, in other words it was badly writtened. In Outpost website, the changelog stated that bug was fixed in the latest release. However, they did not fix the free version. Hence the free version remained bugged. I was thinking to change to another firewall software. But there were good comments about Outpost people talking about. Hence I'll stay for awhile until there is someone who can recommend something good and trustable.

Hence for your case, it may be a similar situation. You might have installed a new program that caused the BSOD. You might want to uninstall them once you've found out which program was doing the fault. Also, updating your software often should also help solve any errors. Outpost Free update however did not fix the bug for my case.

I really don't understand why you don't install Windows XP. Yeah, it's still made by Microsoft and it has a lot of bugs, but it it way better then any OS (any Windows OS I mean). You computer specifications seem pretty decent for Windows XP. You CPU isn't the greatest, but I have seen Windows Xp running on a 400Mhz laptop with 64Mb RAM. Microsoft has done a pretty good job of eliminating the BSODs from Windows XP so I recommand you install Windows XP.

I don't like xp.... so far the best os made by microsoft is windows 98, its the only one that is actually stable... :P But thats a whole different topic.Thanks Inspiron for telling me about your experience, I too have avg free and outpost firewall. I will have to try updating my outpost, I have a paid one :) I will see if that solves the problem. So far though, I have loved outpost. It's a great, advanced firewall. I haven't any problems with it since now :\

xJedix wrote:

I don't like xp.... so far the best os made by microsoft is windows 98, its the only one that is actually stable...

Sorry, have to disagree. :)

I've been using xp for ages now and it is as stable as ... LINUX!

I keep my machine running all the time and it has never crashed yet.

Unlike my experience with win98 and NT, both of which seemed equally unreliable.

One big advantage that xp has is that if a program stops responding you can close the program without having to reboot and it seems to be rock solid in this regard.

Same cannot be said of win98.

So if you can get your hands on a copy of xp I would suggest you give it a go.

Hope you manage to sort out your computer prob.

This message is actually of RAM Problem, due to some reasons your RAM is creating trouble with your System. Go to this website http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and Download DocMemmory and install it on your Floopy Disk (As this software requires to be install on CD or a Floppy) And than restart your system with first boot order set to Floppy Drive, on accessing Floppy Disk in which DocMemmory is installed check your RAM from this................This is a perfact tool for checking RAM, and used by professional mostly.Otherway is to check from AIDA32 Software.........Unfortunatly this software site is currently DOWN for some reason https://www.aida64.com/ but you can download it from Download.com................But the checking methode of this Software is't better than DocMemmory

According to mircosoft this fault can be a memory problem https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/291806

I noticed that you have a strange amount of memory there must be at least 2 pieces of RAM in your comp.

- 1 with RAM of 512 MB (or 2 with 256 MB)

- 1 with RAM of 128 MB.

Now if the faulty one is in the first row you have problems booting up, if the faults is in the last row you have problems when you start the 2 nd or more application.

There could also be a timing problem since the 128 MB will be older then the rest I think.

The best thing you can do is running a memory test under linux.

This can be run from CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/)

or floppy (http://www.memtest86.com/).

The best you can do is let this test run for a few hour and look in with regio you have memory faults.

The remove the faulty RAM , and run this test again.

I think if you remove the 128 MB your problems will be solved.

@masterleous :

If you are looking for software of AIDA, they have changed their name to Everest (from lavalys).

Since a few months there is no free version anymore but you can run the latetest version in trail mode.

Or search for the last free version somewhere on the net.