xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fantistoooooooooo

Host My Own Domain Already have a domain name, and have it host with other company, but w

:):PDear all bros and Sis,

I have some question that need all of your helps, I am very appreciated if all of you could share your ideas regarding this issue:

i have already had a domain name, and have it host with other company, but want to host it with my home computer with the ADSL 256/512Kbps internet connection.

I computer is behind the 4 ports ADSL modem with built-in router. I have already setup the web server on my computer.

but i dono what to do next to let people over the world access to my domain that is hosted on my own computer.

My ADSL internet connection use a static IP address.

Would everybody mind telling me on how to Set up it correctly and to make it accessible to the world?

Your helps are really appreciated!!!

Thanks forward, :D

Notice from jlhaslip:
Siggy gone. Use signature field in your Profile, please.

Well, number one, please don't sign off a post with your name. It will be considered cheating, and your hosting can be rejected. I recommend you take that off before an mod/admin tells you to. They usually don't warn new members.To answer your question. you should buy your own "server" computer. Considerably fast. This computer will be on 24/7. Hook your ADSL up to the cable TV lines in your home. Then you would either have to purchase a Linux or Windows server (your choice, either one. I prefer Linux). Or you can hire someone to set all that up for you.I think, if you're just starting a site, hosting it with a hosting company is way better than hosting it by yourself. Until your website gets a reasonable hit, you should host it with companies. If you're hosting yourself, you would need these:FTF serverMail serverA good back up routerANTI-VIRUSHope this helps you!

Edited by NovaTerra (see edit history)

I don't think you can do a domain hosting yourself easily because it requires a combination of a few stuffs. Domains are connected to nameservers to get the IP addresses. Also, there's a need for bandwidth and an alway-online requirement. Moreover, to update a the link in the nameservers could take some time. And definately you don't own the nameservers. Even paid domains are allowed 24hours to connect to a Xisto website. And everytime a user keys in the domain in the URL address, it will point to the nameservers. The nameservers then provides the updated IP address of Xisto and point you to Xisto website. Hence we all rely on nameservers in the internet. Unless you are using IP address in the URL, which is possible.

:):PDear all bros and Sis,

I have some question that need all of your helps, I am very appreciated if all of you could share your ideas regarding this issue:

i have already had a domain name, and have it host with other company, but want to host it with my home computer with the ADSL 256/512Kbps internet connection.

I computer is behind the 4 ports ADSL modem with built-in router. I have already setup the web server on my computer.

but i dono what to do next to let people over the world access to my domain that is hosted on my own computer.

My ADSL internet connection use a static IP address.

Would everybody mind telling me on how to Set up it correctly and to make it accessible to the world?

Your helps are really appreciated!!!

Thanks forward, :D

Notice from jlhaslip:
Siggy gone. Use signature field in your Profile, please.

As far as I (and everyone else) can tell, your domain needs to be linked to a nameserver. This provides any browsers accessing the domain with the IP address of the site it leads to. I don't know exactly how to do all of this, but if you use Linux, then you can use the Bind DNS server package (included in many slightly adanced distros, downloadable for free).

I don't think you can do a domain hosting yourself easily because it requires a combination of a few stuffs. Domains are connected to nameservers to get the IP addresses. Also, there's a need for bandwidth and an alway-online requirement. Moreover, to update a the link in the nameservers could take some time. And definately you don't own the nameservers.

I agree with inspiron, there are so many variables in hositng your own domain server, or w/e you would like to call it. Its pretty cheap, at yahho you can get a domian for like 2 bucks a month so this shouldnt be an issue really. Plus the speed of your computer and net will have to be some-what under the minimum requirement specs.