xisto Community
cragllo

*help* My Computer Is Restarting Its Self

Ok here is the problem. My computer is restarting by its self. I have run many many different virus scanners and spyware, nothing.

It only restarts in two situations:
1) Right after startup, when the network connection status icon apperas in the task bar
2) Whenever a network connection is establushed, so If i restart my router, my pc restarts too, also when connection to Hamachi, VPN software..

This is getting very annoying, My pc needs to be on 24/7 because of certain things, but It lokes to restart itself

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2300+
2GB RAM
nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT 256MB
120GB and 300GB hard drives
on-board LAN

I have established that It is not my RAID card, my 300GB hard drive or my wireless network card taht is causeing it to restart, nor is it my RAM...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

Check few things more:1. the temperature of your cpu, from the description about network card the cpu is not a probem probably butit is a good idea to eliminate this reason.2. have you tried to switch the network card to another pci? If this network card is integrated in mainboard, have you tried to install seperate one and not use integrated one?3. In case of onboard lan: google a little bit searching for your mainboard model and network problems, maybe the bios update will solve the problem?

Maybe, this doesn't help, but download a Linux live CD like UBUNTU and run it in your computer, if it's stable (it is supposed to recognize your network card and your internet connection and automatically connect to it) you will know that is not the hardware the problem. 75% of the cases where computers restart by themselves is because Windows has a problem. And not because of the hardware, so why don't you try this?Thanks for reading, and hope it helps :)

Yes, but I was telling you for testing purposes only, my idea was for you to enter Linux to check that your computer hardware really works, and if it works, you will be sure that you would have to reinstall Windows because that was the problem, and not like other ones said, the hardware. Sorry for the misunderstanding :) Best Regards,Wasser

Ubuntu Linux has three options, one of the options is to install it on your HDD and share space with windows and you choose what system you want to start, another is to install it deleting windows and the third one is NOT to install it and run it from the CD, without touching the HDD, so it won't mess your files, it won't even touch them, it will load all the system files on your RAM memory. It's free to use and download, enter the website and check it out ;D

I may be stupid being answering this , but , have you checked your ram ??? sometimes , something goes wrong with RAM and it keeps on restarting computer very often , if u have more than 1 memory stick in ur cpu , then u can check by putting only one stick and taking off others.. check them one by one...even some problem in one ram can cause that..

What do you advide me going for?ubuntu-5.10-live-i386.iso orubuntu-5.10-install-i386.isoAnd itssami, Ive checked both of my RAM modules... and used some other RAM too, same problem...

Download the iso that says live cd, the other one is only to install it on your HDD while LIVE CD is for you to run it without touching the Hard Drive (As I mentioned before)

Does it ever restart in any other conditions? I had a similar problem to this about a year back and it turned out that my cpu was dying because my powersupply was underrated. If you have alot of hardware (multiple cd drives, or hard drives, good video card, etc) make sure that you powersupply is providing enough wattage. Checking it sooner than later is better...as I failed to check it, and wound up having to buy a new cpu and motherboard as a result (when the cpu finially went it took the motherboard with it).

Here's a new idea, Have you ever had a blue screen of death? If no, maybe that's what is causing your computer to restart. Why I ask if you've every had one before is because If you have seen one then the next steps I'll list will already be set.Go to Control PanelChoose SystemGoto the advanced tab, and choose settings under startup and recovery.Then under system failure uncheck "Automatically restart"When your computer crashes it displays an error message, if this box is checked off the computer will simply restart rather then displaying the error message. A BSOD is usualy caused by a software hardware conflict, it could e bad drivers pertaining to your network interface which caused it to crash. THere might be a folder C:\WINDOWS\Minidump where dump files from crashes are stored, do a google search on debugging windows dmp files, this should also get you started.

moldboy, everything you say is alright, but in general when windows restarts by himself is because the "blue screen" won't let you in any way continue to run windows, so he decides to restart himself, so it?s possible that the windows of that computer has a problem, and debugging the files inside the minidump is not always the best option. If you ask me I would reinstall all the windows and cut the problem from the root. That way you would be pretty sure the problem is not going to come back.

Ok, I booted up Ubuntu off the cd, configured my network and got it all working fine, i enabled and disabled it a few times, no problems :)

As for the "Automatically restart" option, it was checked, I unchecked it... Now to see what happens...

***UPDATE***

When establishing a network connection, no restart.

I got a windows stop message (like a BSOD)

Technical Information

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xB52588D4, 0xF78DEBE8, 0xF78DE8E4)

HTTP.sys - Address B52588D4 base at B5247000, DateStamp 41672744

I did a search for "http.sys" and found about 7 different files... All in the WINDOWS folder, All the same size...

And here are the 3 errors I got after bootup (I do use XP Pro, but with classic theme)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image