xisto Community
jmb2006

Linux And My Laptop

hey, i have a problem its not just with linux though its with *bsd also.when i try to install linux or freebsd on my laptop it doesn't work, well freebsd doesn't boot it just goes to the main screen and stops there/crashes. Linux, well linux installs ok but after that it keeps crashing like every 5 min so i have to uninstall it and put windows back on, my laptop has 60gb hdd, 1.5ghz intel celeron m processor and 1gb of ram so i cant see what the problem is, why does linux keep crashing on my laptop and is there any small distro of linux that uses less processing power + ram than others.

what copy of linux? theres qite a few... such as Fedora/suse/redhat(dicontinued) and a few more...

if its redhat you computer just may not be able to support it but thats highly unlikely...

A few things ive found when installing onto a laptop...

1. screen resolution gets screwy... (cant make it fit my screen)
2. runs slower...
3. only tried redhat so lol...

also try downloading suse (its free)
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Distribution

i think that is the site... pick your miror and download...

also are you trying to do a duel boot with windows and linux?

other choices are to get VMware and run windows with linux through that

oh yeah 1 more thing my laptop is widescreen, currently on windows at 1280x768, does suse support this resolution and wireless networking coz i have a wireless router like 7 inches away from my laptop right now. Edit: Nah im not trying to duel boot i think windows is gay and bsd is complicated.

Edited by jmb2006 (see edit history)

yeah it does or at least it should... im loadig up vmware right now and checking...i think it does i cant get it into widescren but id suspect that if you put it on there itll recongnize it and work just fine...also waht linux distro are you using atm?

well im on windows right now but every time i try and install a distro its usually slackware or fedora core. They crash though like i said, even bootable cds like knoppix crash as well.

You should try "Damn Small Linux" - http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

It's tiny at 50.4mb and requires very little to run-

# Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram# Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)

Being so small, it doens't have the greatest desktop environment or window managers, but it's got everything you need to get cooking -

XMMS (MP3, CD Music, and MPEG), FTP client, Dillo web browser, links web browser, FireFox, spreadsheet, Sylpheed email, spellcheck (US English), a word-processor (FLwriter), three editors (Beaver, Vim, and Nano [Pico clone]), graphics editing and viewing (Xpaint, and xzgv), Xpdf (PDF Viewer), emelFM (file manager), Naim (AIM, ICQ, IRC), VNCviwer, Rdesktop, SSH/SCP server and client, DHCP client, PPP, PPPoE (ADSL), a web server, calculator, generic and GhostScript printer support, NFS, Fluxbox window manager, games, system monitoring apps, a host of command line tools, USB support, and pcmcia support, some wireless support.

Best of luck :)

Actually Linux operating systems don't quite work well on notebook computers. However, there are some distributions that made themselves compatible to be installed on a notebook computer, but not every notebook. Some brands and models of the notebook are still not very supported by Linux due to it's different hardware configuration and features. Linux therefore require a suitable driver to run on your notebook provided their drivers are compatible to your notebook computer hardware.

Here's a list of notebooks and distributions that can work and announced compatible.
http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Yeah im not really sure why it would freeze and have to be restarted. I run Suse9.3 on my laptop through an external harddrive. It should work for you since you even installed it on the internal. The resolution is not an issue cause im running 1920x1200 on Suse. Good luck. I'd say, maybe try a different distro

i used Linux Kalango and Ubuntu on my laptop (2.0 celeron, 512 ram, 40hd...Toshiba Satellite) and worked perfectly. :) the only problem i had, was when i tried to put windows xp again and linux destroyed my master boot, so i had do make a cd boot... to install master boot again and reformat my computer. :P