xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
psychiccyberfreak

Kind Of Geting Depressed About Tech nothing really exiting happens and its all waiting

I have found that tech has been a big problem with me. (don't panic, I'm not going to kill myself or whatever) It is kind of cutting into my social life, on days where I work on my laptop, when all I want to do is hang out with my friends. I have pretty much learned everything I want to know about computers, exept for mabie programming, which I am taking a summer coarse for anyway. I've done linux, done windows, tried making stuff (like in make magazine, I got hurt way too often to keep doing it, plus it's frustrating), mac I know enough about from windows and linux, plus my friend has one. Laptops are ok, I have a palm pilot, and used to have a pocket PC. Now I'm waiting on ubuntu disks that come in 2-6 weeks. Now, I just stay at home, posting on message boards like this getting help, getting hosting credits, and some other stuff. Generally, I just feel that computers and the internet have let me down, that I have deticated a whole lot of time to, and is my main interest, and now I feel like I'm at a dead end. I'm not saying that I hate computers and computers should burn in hell, but I really don't have anything to do. I want to buy some new computer equipment but I don't have the money, and I get all my money from my website. I don't have a job (which is normal for me anyway, I don't have working papers, don't really want to have a part time job either). Now that I know it all, I think I just need money, but have no clue where to get it. So on those weekends where I want to go with my freinds, I do homework which I hate doing, and then it's too late to hang out with friends, so I just waste time boring myself on my computer. I don't really like computer games anymore. I guess all I want is some more time with my friends, more tech addict friends (all I have is like... 2... or mabie 3... and they are busy or I am busy) and something to do on the computer. Games are OK, but I find that they are not truely entertaining. I like to laugh, but it also eats up at my time that I can do stuff. Once I do that stuff I go on some funny sites like uncyclopedia, and get bored and stare at the wall. I guess it is also interfering with my schoolwork, seince I do most of my homework on my computer, and then get destracted.I fix things, and when it's finally fixed, I think to myself "now what?"even now as I type I am taking long empty breaks.I need something to occupy me, any suggestions?

I need something to occupy me, any suggestions?

Music usually helps me concentrate on things. Not all the time, but usually.

I always end up distracted my my laptop.. now being a perfect example XP I'm supposed to be doing math right now, and obviously, I am not. It was even worse when I didn't have my laptop, because then I'd be downstairs on that computer, even further from homework. At least now I'm close to it, in case I get some sudden burst of motivation to pass my calculus class.

What I would do, is get involved with some kind of sport. It doesn't have to be a school sport, or anything like that. I know when the same thing was happening to me, I got into paintball. It was so much fun, and it got me off the computer.

Yes, technology might have cut into some time (of yours), but has also helped us. For example, I bet all of you have seen Wallstreet, right? Look at that. This whole world is running on technology. Although the computer can be used for doing good, it can also be used for bad. Some people use the computer for adult contents. Computer has also taken away "school time" for many people here. Yeah, I'm kind of depressed in this computer stuff, too. They should add more stuff to it. :( Maybe, I could invent that...or not.

OK it seems like you just do too much on the computer. Homework cant be avoided so dont even try to do it else where but to help staying on track here are a few ideas: 1.) Use postit notes and just write each thing you have to do that day on one. When you finish take them off.2.) Keep a calendar and time planner just so you know what you have to do.As for those long breaks, i would get involved or call some friends and do something. Play a sport, go for a run, or even just work out. It all takes time and makes you feel better.

Switch your computer off and go outside. I know how distracting a computer is. I usually sit and play games when I should be studying or doing an assignment. Worse still is that most of our stuff is put up on the internet for us to download and work from so we have to use a computer. Although when it does get boring I can easily walk away from it and go hang out with my friends, cook a meal or go training You just have to learn to off the PC and walk away from it, like any other addiction.