xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mortanis

Lead Found In Cheap Inexpensive Jewelries especially found in dollar-store

A lot of people don't think about what they're buying when they're getting their dollar-store jewellery, but I did some research into this, and here's what I got:

First of all, I'm from Canada, so most (if not all of this stuff) applies to Canada only. I think the lead regulations are controlled by the individual states in the US, though.

Lead is a toxic heavy metal, normally bluey-grey, until exposed to oxygen, when it turns to a dark grey. It is poisonous even in very low quantities, and it can bee leeched either by way of the skin pores or by directly sucking.

Lead used to be used quite a bit in many places, especially in paint. Other places include Mexican Candy (it's used as a sweetener), spaghetti bracelets (it's used to keep it soft, yet strong), and glass (obviously to keep it solid)

However, around 20 years ago, the government of canada released the Hazardous Products Act, which contained regulations concerning lead useage. This webpage contains the information inside of the Hazardous Products Act.

Then, around 5 years ago, Health Canada released an amendment to the act, with childrens jewellery items included. The regulations were and are: 600 ppm (aka mg/kg) of total lead content, and 90 ppm (aka mg/kg) of leachable lead content.

So yeah, I'm getting a little tired of writing; I'll probably come and edit this with more information later.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic title and description modified.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

What kind of dollar store jewelries contain lead?

Well, there are a few ways to tell: if it feels heavier than it looks, if it's a dull grey in color, if it's a very bright color, or if it makes marks when scratched against a piece of paper it may contain lead. However, this isn't a for sure method of testing.

How much lead?

Can be any ammount... I tested around 32 suspicious items; 28 came back positive, but for possibly legal ammounts of lead. (The tester I was using turned black for items with 50 ppm+, so I don't know the exact number.)

Ewww....

\
quite

i only use lead for making my own components and parts using transistors and what. it's onyl used to solder stuff anyways. except breathing the fumes damages me....but i think everything causes cancer. but lead is a very useful element though so it cant really get banned

well, you just said it. If breathing the fumes damages you, how do you think sucking on lead toys would affect you? Think about how smal children suck on necklaces, marbles, etc. One highly publicized incedent concerned a 7-year-old sucking on a 100% lead pendant. She developed autism. I think that there should be warnings on items containing lead, because it's not as dangerous to adults, and possibly not dangerous at all if an adult doesn't wear it against his/her skin.But I know what you mean with transistors and stuff like that. And sodder is made of lead and some other metal (tin, right?), so yeah.

Edited by Mortanis (see edit history)