xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
keysmaker

Gdrive, The Next Google Service Unlimited online storage space, provided by Google

Providing you have enough money (Google has), space and bandwidth shouldn't be a problem. That space and bandwidth will be (as the user experiences it) unlimited is mere speculation which I can't base on any statements.The global space usage can be lowered by a) compressing files [especially text files/source code can be compressed by a huge percentage] and :lol: getting the file's MD5 sum or another kind of signature and check it against a list of already existing files, this would be especially useful with music and/or movie files since those tend to be plain copies of few files which have been posted to sites some among us know or don't know. Several thousand people downloading one set of files is not too rare a thing, now do the maths: What is smaller, 15,000 copies of a 700MB-file or a compressed 700MB-file and a list containing 15,000 user IDs which are allowed to access this file?Remember: The RIAA's/MPAA's interest (hunting down file sharers to increase profit) is not necessarily Google's interest (providing online storage to increase profit). I do not trust the slogan "Google won't be evil", all it would take is a new CEO.As Opaque and Saint Michael pointed out, this service won't be free. It might be free as in "no money charged" but as you can see with GMail, you pay in terms of privacy. Google processes your eMails in order to show you ads which might be especially interesting for you as the content of your eMails suggests. It shouldn't be too hard to guess what kind of information you're mailing around if you're that kind of person who clicks banners (that does not mean you're safe if you don't click them since anyone providing you a mail server can easily read your mail, anyone with a server placed at a good point in the internet can pick up any mail passing through it). It would probably be easy to guess even more details about you if parts of your personal files or even all of them are stored on Google's servers.A note which might not fit into this topic: One way to minimize the damage done to your privacy by using Google's services might be encrypting your eMails/files before you upload it. It might be easy to pass a file through some files as long as it can be easily read but could you gain anything if you had to spend years of CPU time to crack the file's encryption? I'm working on a tutorial on how to encrypt your eMails/Files/IM-Communication and found that strong crypto software is outlawed in quite a lot of countries...

Yes, the idea of storing all your files on the internet is great, but seeing the securiry risks coming with it I wouldn't say it's very secure, and I doubt I'll ever use it for regular files, maybe for hosting useless stuff etc, but I don't trust my private messages etc to Google. I don't think Google is easy to hack, but I'll stay on the safe side in stead of jumping into oblivion... :lol: