xisto Community
keysmaker

Plasma Monitors Vs Lcd Monitors the true history and risks behind this new technology

What do you prefer LCD or PLASMA?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i worked in home theatre for best buy for a while so i got to learn a lot about the products. the advantages of a plasma is that you can get them as big as you want where as an lcd can only physically be built to about 52 inches (so far). a plasma can be made 80 inches if you wanted. the plasma color comes in a lot better than an lcd be casue an lcd uses white light to portray the color black. when black is needed for an lcd, the machine just simply turns off but a plasma actaully produces true black. the covering on an lcd is a soft film so there is no reflections in the light where that is the biggest con for all plasmas; they have a glass screen. all the horror stories of the image life and things are generally false these days. if you buy a good quality tv it will last for about 10 years where you will probably be buying another one then anyways. plasmas do have burn in however. if an image is left on the screen for a long time like a video game image, it can burn in permanently. there are ways to sorta fix it but for the most part, you're stuck with it. phillips is the only brand that has the anti-burn in technology. between the two i would probably get the sony xpr 2 lcd. that was my favorite one when i was working there. it was crisp, and another pro for lcd is that it can display 1080p. plasmas can only get up to 720p. but of course you need a device that can produce 1080p like a blue rey player. anyways. i eneded up getting a dlp rear projection. its 52 inches, light, small back, and excellent color. the only con is i cant hang it on my wall and you have to replace the light bulbs every 3-4 years which are 300$. it was a good buy though. i hope this was informative.

As far as I can see, by walking into PC world, CRTs have INFINITELY better picture and contrast than either of these. You can get 43" CRTs so I have no idea why someone would want an LCD or plasma over a CRT, as long as they don't have a HD input...Also, the burn-in risk is non-existent, and the colour's stay perfect all round. OK, they don't have HD, but if you don't have sky HD or a PS3, there is no point...

You also have to remember that CRT's are large and bulky... and heavy. It's not fun having to move your TV around. B)

I think LCDs are the way to go, simply because they feature most of what we want to see in a TV and complete the modern home theatre of today (except for the videophiles). Over time, some LCDs have become close and almost match the visual quality of a plasma. The numbers don't match, but if you can't really notice a difference, why bump it up?

Then again, most of you have already put out the differences between the two...

Just keep in mind, however, that from the time of the original posting, plasma has gotten a lot better in the burn-in department (as Zinrgy said, and some plasmas can simply "wash out" burn-in), but LCDs have also improved drastically with visual acuity and accuracy, producing better color, and even increasing its available screen size.

I really don't think the average joe is going to really notice the difference between a high-grade LCD and a plasma after glancing at it. Of course, we'll recognize the CRTs...

In the future, we will still have both technologies, I'm sure, as LCD has its limits on screen size (for the time being). Not to mention that the consumer market needs variety. :P

For those of you you who do not know the difference between the plasma and LCD the below link is for you. They do not give you the core technical details, but the necessary details that will help you find the difference and make a choice if at all you are going to get one...

Plasma vs LCD -- Link Courtesy: cnet

The next link is for geeks like me.. for more detailed discussion and comparison.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

Thanks for the info, though I already knew much of it I find it's good to get it out there to the general public more such as you have. And personally I have a 32" LCD monitor but it only cost me 700$ maybe i got lucky or something, it's a Samsung and one of the main reasons LCD's lose their life of viewing is people pump up the brightness all the way (which nearly freakin' blinded me when i first got it) i turned mine down to about 30 not just for life expectancy to increase but also because it's bright enough as it is there, I'm used to an old huge clunker of a CRT 20" screen size that emitted crazy heat and was always at max brightness. So i figure I got several more years added on just by cranking it down to a tolerable viewing level. It's personal preference to me but the blacks look black on my screen, maybe it's 'slightly' more black on plasma, but for something like a computer monitor where you're always running nearly stationary images (desktop certain games etc) there really is no reason to have a plasma since it'll burn in. The future is lcd monitors as they keep making large strides in making them bigger and cheaper, though plasma certainly fuels much of this burst of technology and i welcome it because without competition our markets would crash and be dominated by singular companies that only care about profit. Anyways sorry about the small tangent, I must say I highly advise any LCD, it's come a long way from what i remember it used to be like, and if you can get one with a hard cover polyurethane screen over it that protects the actual LCD screen from smudges and dust and the like, then you're even more in the clear than most of us.

Planning to get an LCD TV for my home. LCDs definately have an edge over Plasmas. As far as the price is concerned, they come in the sweet spot whereas plasmas seem a distant option. Even my LCD monitor is working fine and I love watching movies on it(much better than my current CRT TV).

Well, the difference beetwen Plasma and LCD is this:LCD: They use the same technology as the computer LCD monitors, so they have rows and columns of points (pixels, dots of color and light) which are always illuminated, in high density LCD's (like Full HD) and with the appropriate input (High Def Player as a Blu-Ray or HD DVD one) they could generate truly impressive image quality, even better than Plasmas. They tend to have better colors on high light places.Plasma: They use a different technology, they produce the lights and colors by the excitation of fluorescent substances by creating a shock beetwen two crystal panels. They tend to have blacker blacks, and more vivid colors in living room-like places, where the light is soft.Hope it helps.

LCDs tend to be a lot sharper but that'll come at the expense of anti-aliasing so I recommend using LCDs in a media centre. Because then you can tell the GPU to do for example 16xAA?Plasmas tend to have higher contrasts (blacker blacks and whiter whites) but since they burn in and their extremely high power comsumption they might just fall a little behind LCD. I prefer LCD since it uses a lot less power, its sharper (so better for windows applications if your using MC) it also has the advantage of better PC inputs (some Full HD (1080p, 1920x1080 res) will only support VGA) such as DVI, VGA, HDMI, S-Video etc...So I recommend LCD, but if you really want to plasma is fine. There are down-points to LCD such as stuck pixels, low contrast, poor viewing angles.The decision is mainly up to you, but I and many others recommend LCD*off topic slightly* GO LCD!!!!!!*end slightly off topic*

Thanks for all information regarding Plasma vs LCD monitors. As many stated here, LCD provides better picture and longer lifetime.They had a outsale for monitors and my brother bought a Viewsonic 22", for 200 Euro, he was satisfied, he could put up the monitor on the wall if he likes to. I got a plasma 19" and its soon two years old, and the monitor works just fine. After playing games on mybrothers viewsonic, I realise I want a bigger monitor. The seller we bought the LCD monitor from told me that viewsonic is world leading when it comes to monitors, is it? Are there other brands thats better? What am I looking for specific to determine whats a good LCD monitor?