xisto Community
illdevilinc

Installing A New Disk Drive on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop

Hi,I am tring to install a 100GB External Hard Disk Drive onto my laptop. I plug the drive in through USB and it makes the hardware connect noise then about 5 seconds later it makes the hardware discconect noise. I dont know what to do the software it came with was ment for internal installation. But, i used an External Conversion kit and made it an external drive. I have already tried going into the bios and it listed nothing about the drive. My computer dosent even know that it is there. I need some help on this because if this dosent work then i payed $160 for crap. If you guys need to know:My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A65 s1067The Hard Disk Drive is a Seagate 100 GB Barracuda ATA Hard Disk with a model number as ST310011AThe Kit that i used is a ADS Tech USB2.0 BASIC HD KITThe website for toshiba is toshibadirect.comThe website for seagate is seagate.comThe website for ADS tech adstech.comThank you too all that helps.

First check to see the external device is well recognized by your laptop. If the driver to your ADS came separately make sure you follow the instruction of the manufacture and install it.Assuming you installed hardware correctly, check to see if your hard drive is recognized by going Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. Since you have not specified which version of Windows, this is for Windows XP Pro.In Computer Management window, click Storage > Disk Management (left menu side). If you see Disk 1 (or other than Disk 0) you're in good shape. Simply right click and perform your desired task--partition, format or both. This will take several minutes (about 30 minutes or more) and once it's finished your hardware will have a drive letter under My Computer.

hmm...I think that he want to boot OS from USB.Some mainboards doesn't have option to boot from usb in bios.I looked on google about Satellite A65 s1067 and i found that some people have the same problem.You can boot from usb by flashing ur bios.Please explain ur problem a little bit better and maybe someone can help you.

So... correct me if I'm wrong. You've bought an external 3.5 HDD enclosure that came with a separate power adapter. Or do you have a small 2.5 notebook HDD enclosure without the separate power adapter?Case 1 -- 3.5" HDD enclosure w/ ext power adapter:Please check to see whether the jumper on the HDD is set to MASTER. I've had a problem in the past with such an enclosure that would not recognize the ext drive if jumper was set to SLAVE. TIP: The software that came with your ext enclosure has absolutely no practic use. The operating system will automatically detect the drive and self install the driver (in case you are running Win2K/XP). Case 2 -- 2.5" notebook HDD enclosure w/o ext power adapter:Please see if your USB cable has an "Y" shape w/ 2 USB connectors on one end and a third one at the other end. If that's the case, it's very likely that you don't have USB 2.0 drivers installed (or possibly on older systems don't have hardware support for USB 2.0) which will result in a lower mAh value on each port. The notebook enclosures will only work with USB 2.0 ports supplying them with 500 mAh. The workaround to this was including this "Y" shaped USB cable in the package that works like this:- Plug both USB connectors from one end to 2 separate USB connectors directly into your computer USB controller.- Plug the third connector from that other end of the cable into the HDD enclosure. The two USB ports will then boost enough power in the HDD in order to work.Q: Have you tried the ext storage device on another system?

I would suggest check first if the hard drive is really configured and properly connected on your conversion kit. To do this find another system, any computer or notebook and check in there if the drive will work fine, if yes then it is now the time for you to check the Toshiba laptop that you have but if the hard drive is still not detected on another system then just focus on this, could be some incompatibility on hard drive and converter or just some incorrect connections.

hi guys, first of all , in BIOs USB HDD sometimes aren?t recognised but inside windows they?re working ok.Before i could try to help you i need some more basic information...How many devices have you installed on your laptop?Did you check in Device Manager how many USB energie are in use before you connect your external HDD?AS a last test , try to connect only your usb conversor in usb port without the hdd and check if same problem occur.please let me know this test result.regs,

Wimaxxed was absolutely right in my case, my new hard drive and case (SATA 2.5) kept beeping at me and I didnt have the common sense to use the forked USB cable and plug in both USB connections--this solved my problem.-Travis