xisto Community
wansuen

Sony Blue-ray Release Date

Well according to geek.com Sony has announced that they will be releasing 8 blue-ray dvds on May 23rd... although not clearly stated I would assume that they would be releasing or at least have someone else release a blue-ray disc player around the same time as well. Otherwise I would imagine that the blue-ray movie sales would be... well minimal haha. The new movies are supposed to be about 15-20 percent more expensive than DVD... which seems reasonable for movies that I might not already own. I don't think I would rebuy the same movie just for the higher resolution unless it was really one of my favorite movies of all time... but maybe not even then if it's an old movie. I don't see why they want to release old movies like terminator 2 on blue-ray, because I don't even think that the original film would allow for much improvement over DVD. As long as the players themselves are reasonably priced I might consider it. I would consider reasonable under 100 dollars though. Then I would have an excuse to get a HDTV :lol:

All I can say to Sony's realease date is Uh huh. Heard all this before. They keep putting back the release date and given the problems they are having with the technology right now (i.e. not working) I fail to see, unless by some miracle, how they will get it out at the end of May.

It still remains to be seen, I guess, who will win the next gen disc wars :lol:

I'm going to wait until all of the high definition versions of DVDs come out, becuase surely one of them will end up being pulled off the market becuase less people use it, like the Betamax / VHS wars. The players will need to be relatively cheap, and hopefully they will also bring out a player that can record as well. Do you know how soon they intend to bring out drives for PCs, if they intend to at all?

Dunno about drives but I can tell you that Blu-ray players (blu-ray equivalent of a DVD player) is going to cost about $1000. On the other hand, HDDVD is apparently relatively cheap so on the price wars side of things, Sony is looking to lose.I doubt that you will see any drives yet until computer hardware manufacturers get more of an idea about who is likely to win :lol:

Do you have any idea how bad Sony is at estimating release dates. Just a reminder, the Playstation 3 was supposed to come out sometime in the next month for $300. Now it looks like it will be out around next year for $500. The new Blu-Ray format is going to be nice, but it will take a while before it gets to good affordable/performance levels. Like when the DVD first came out, it took it at least a year to get going. Just wait, hold onto your pants, and be happy with your DL DVD's.

You know I can't wait for the Blu-Ray technology to come out on the market. I think that has to be one of the most innovative things to hit computers in a long time. Such storage space on something is amazing. But if they keep pushing it back for too long they might lose all hope of selling the item at all.I mean Microsoft decided to go with HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray, so that means BAM, Blu-Ray drives will not be back by MS and that could be, could be, bad for Sony or it might not depending on how companies decided to market their items.