xisto Community
William91

Choosing A Firewall?

Let me tell you my experience. If you are running on Microsoft Windows XP professioanal or Home operating system why not use the Firewall that comes with this windows itself. It is quite good. Sometimes ago, I was using firewall by Alexa but they themselves seem to collect some information from my system. So, I stopped using them.

It's quite good, but can never be trusted. The firewall provided by Microsoft is still in beta. Attacks from the internet still stand a high chance of invading your computer if you use Windows Firewall. What I suggest is to disable the Windows Firewall and get a dedicated Firewall software that handles the firewall tasks itself.

You can also get a list of free security software tools from this thread.
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/34146-free-security-software-list-antivirus-firewall-antispyware-gather-and-make-a-list-of-free-security-software-here/

I use McAfee because I do not like Norton. Norton always freezes up my computer. So, I got McAfee to replace it. Also this is a great utility that includes a firewall. I have not purchased it yet because of $$$, but the reviews look great.

I was using zonealarm. However my computer was craching something about kernal, someone somewhere said that zone alarm causes this on some systems, removing it fixed the problem. Anyway I use a program called Outpost firewall. THere is a free version somewhere, it's only a tiny bit harder then Zonealarm, if you decide to use it and need help, just post back here.

Seeing many good testimonials about Outpost Firewall, I decided to give it a try after formatting my computer 3 days ago. I downloaded the free version, called the OutpostFree Firewall. Indeed it was quite easy to use. Just set it to the Wizard Mode and the software that is connecting to the internet will be prompted by Outpost for access from you.

The problems come when I am connect to the internet. The Wizard Mode blocks everything still. In it's documents, the Wizard Mode suppose to prompt me a question whether or not to allow the program to access the internet. It did prompted, but it is not working as expected. In Wizard Mode, it's default mode, suppose to only allow those that I've set to access the internet, didn't work. Only when I set "Allow Most Mode" then all my applications starts working again. I don't quite trust that mode because I won't know which programs are accessing the Internet. Previously I was using Norton Internet Security, it kept pestering me if the application is allowed to connect to the internet, and it worked as promised, though taking alot of memory and resources. So in the end, I've had no choice but to set to "Allow Most Mode" so I can use the Internet, or I'm blocked behind my own firewall.

Other than that, I've also got frequent Blue Screen of Death from Windows XP, and the message in the BSOD prompted an error with "filtnt.sys" and regarding to the matter "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I've searched the Internet and found out that many people using Outpost firewall has similar problems. I've never had a BSOD on my notebook, since I bought it 3 years ago. Since many Outpost user had similar problems, I've to certainly assume that the BSOD comes from Outpost. In Outpost forums, it's support were weak and disappointed. Many had their questions unanswered, and the Admins seemed to care less about it and pushed the problem to Microsoft. Certainly that isn't right. We all aren't computer idiots. Windows users who seldom had BSOD suddenly had such thing appearing frequently after installing Outpost. Then later, Outpost released a new version to a bug fix to this filtnt.sys and the BSOD crash problem. That only applies on the paid version I suppose. Because I'm using the free version of Outpost, I'm still having the BSOD. Now I'm getting bad thinking about Outpost. Can any one let me know of you are having the same problem?

I used to have Symantec's Norton personal firewall but its license expired, then i installed Sygate and Zonealarm (2 heads are better than one). Zonealarm was the flashy one while Sygate i thought did the real work. But now Symantec has bought Sygate also, whioch means i can no longer get updates to it. So Zonealarm is my last hope( BTW it released a new version just 4 days ago, update your firewalls ).Another firewall i have used is the McAfee one, but after i installed it it corrupted my scripts, i could no longer use my HP print software, so i stopped using it.

Edited by ankitunlimited (see edit history)

I wonder why you say zone alarm is incompatible with many programs. I haven't used zone alarm before but I am quite sure that zone alarm is like many others program-based soft firewalls that block communication by blocking TCPIP stack API in the windows systems. All these firewalls are quite easily configured to suit your need. In the firewalls that I have used, from McAfee and Norton, there are manageable rules that allow you to allow communication of certain programs just by specifying the flow and the port of the programs concerned. Say, if you run bt on a certain port or play online game on other, just select the programs and enable communication of those ports in your firewall. The programs can then pass through the firewall.I strongly recommend that you try this first before you switch to another. Or the other firewall may just behave as zone alarm. Mnay of the games are not in the auto-configuration list and you are bounded to set up the rules manually.

I'm currently using the free version of Sygate. I had not yet heard they were bought out, that sucks. If they are not giving free updates for it anymore, I will definitely have to change to something else. I used to use ZoneAlarm, and never had any problems with it, I may just go back to it. I have heard a lot of good things about Tiny Personal Firewall in the past, I may try it if it's still available. The first thing I'll probably do is surf on over to SourceForge or FreshMeat and see what Open Source ones are available. I use an Open Source Anti-Virus program--ClamWin, and it's great. It has updates every day, compared to AVG which only updates every four or five days. Because of my experience with ClamWin, I can only hope I can find an Open Source Firewall program that is as good. Does anybody know of any good Open Source Firewalls that are compatible with Win XP?The only reason I stopped using ZoneAlarm is because my Fiance installed Sygate instead, so I thought I would try it. He said it was better for online gaming, although I'm not sure why, I never asked. Maybe it uses less system resources or something?

I like ZoneAlarm because it is powerful. But I receive cookie problems when I visit some sites. That is the only disadvantage. It rocks with its own Antivirus system.

I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin' Internet Security 2005's firewall. It is OK; it has a URL filter, WiFi protection (if it finds a new WiFi device on the network it will ask if you want your machine to be able to connect to it), and some other nice stuff. And it updates like every day (but that's probably mostly the anti-virus updates most of the time).

I love ZoneAlarm. I had a few problems with it when I first got it, but after forwarding ports and adding exceptions to everything, which is so much easier to do that other firewalls, it works like a charm. Looking at my configuration now, 104840 intrusions have been blocked. I find that amazing. >_>