xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
smartbei

Recommended Specifications Buying a new computer...Any recommendations?

I am looking to buy a decent mild-gamer computer and I need some help with picking and choosing parts. I will be using some high-end applications such as Solidworks (3d design program), Adobe Photoshop, and Macromedia Flash. I want a computer that will be able to run these well, and be stable enough that I won't need to reboot as much as I do with the current computer. I have no need of a DVD writer, and have about 2500 NIS (New Israeli Shekels) to spend (roughly $550-$600) not including the monitor. Any recommended specifications would be great, and if your from Israel, perhaps recommended places to buy computers or parts (not much hope of that :lol:). Thanks in advance!

I would recommend at least getting a 2.6GHz CPU, AMD preferably, they are much better gaming processors. A 120GB Hard Drive would also be preferable, since you are putting games and other major programs on the computer. Also, get 1024MBs of ram for your PC, which will speed up your computer and use the full potential of your CPU.All the rest is fairly obvious.

since you do work with photoshop and 3d design program you should try intel pentium 3.6 GHz of processing speed. Its good for gaming too. ABout the video card, use Radeon which has at least 256 memory since it works will with gaming and 3d rendering too. then have a 200GBytes of Hard disk, SATA is preferable since its more faster than IDE, be sure that it is at least 7200 RPM and its Seagate :lol:. About your RAM.. have 1Gbytes of RAM which have at least 400MHz of speed.. This set is sure a powerful one. I believe thats the 3 main component for having a high-end computer

Well, while I would love to have a pentium 4 3.6 ghz processor in my computer, it is out of my price range. Borghuinter and Saga, I think that your recommendations are good, but as I said, they are out of price range.Currently I am looking at a system with a Pentium 4 3Ghz 64bit, 80Gb hardrive (enough for me even with heavy programs - I have never filled more then 25 Gb), 512mb ram at 400/533 Mhz, an ATI Radeon9250 graphics card with 128Mb. What do you guys think? Are there any relatively cheap improvments I could make in order to increase the computer's "effectiveness"? Thanks.

you guys know its not all about GHZ, Right? There is not any good way to compare an AMD processor to an Intel processor...A 2.6GHZ AMD x2 4800 could OWN a 3.8GHZ P4....anyway....id suggest the following:AMD Athlon 64 3200+(Venice core)MSI K8N Neo4-Fel chepo antec case....1GB(2x512MB)Corsair XMS RAMcheap CD/DVD burner120GB SATA HDDnvidia 6600GT? IDK if you want a vid card designed for CAD and such, or a general one like the 6600GT....

Thanks guys! I know it is all about Ghz, and generally an AMD processor will rate about the same as a Pentium with the same rating... i.e. 2800+ and 2.8 Ghz. I was checking on the VIA C3 processors but decided they were even worse than the Intel Celeron and AMD Sempron lines.

It depends what the computer is primarily for. If you're definitely going to be using a lot of multimedia applications, then go for the Intel P4, otherwise for gaming and general purpose (which it seems like it's for), then go for an Athlon. I put together a computer recently in December for gaming and general usage, for about AU$1200, about US$800. Anyway, right now I'd be recommending:- AMD Athlon 3200+ Socket 939 Venice- Gigabyte K8NF-9 Motherboard OR Asus A8N-E Motherboard- Generic RAM 1x1gb stick (sure you don't get the dual channel, but for multimedia applications you'd want to get the extra RAM ASAP, and it leaves for more upgrade opportunities - and generic is good enough unless you want to overclock)- nVIDIA 256mb GeForce 6800GS (Any brand except Forsa)- BenQ 1640DW Dual Layer 16x DVD-RW- 200GB Seagate SATA HDD - Thermaltake Soprano with 430W PSU (great value with 3 fans and easy drive installation)Adds up to about US$850 all up, but it is a decent gaming system and should work on fairly high settings for even the more demanding games such as FEAR or Battlefield 2. Otherwise if you need to cut it down, a smaller HDD, a X800GTO or 6600GT GFX card should save you a bit. I would say get at least a 120gb HDD though, as the price per GB for an 80gb is not worth it.PS. Yes the VIA chips are terrible unless you plan on only using simple applications such as word processing or light web browsing.

Do you want to render your 3d projects on this pc? If so it would be an good idea to get enough ram that is fast to 512mb will do but wont be workable when making big projects 1024 or 2048mb @ 400/533Mhz will be an better choise.For processor and pentium4 3Ghz or Amd 64 3200 will do fine I would recommend the amd since these are better to tune for higer clockspeed.Well the harddisk, You say yourself you never filled an disk over 25GB so you could do 2x80GB in raid with cache of 8mb a disk.You also will need an motherboard and videocard?Don't take AGP anymore but make sure the motherboard has a pci-e 16x slot for graphic-cards pci-e is cheaper and better as agp when it comes to speed and performance (sometimes even a factor 3). An Nvidia 6600GT is a perfect card for gaming.Hope this is helpfull :lol:

If you chhose to stick with Intel, then go for a 915 chipset based motherboard. It offers you 128MB of Graphics Memory available onboard along with the Intel's GMA900. You can do most of the Photoshop work and 3d work on this without much effort. This will reduce you the cost for an additional Graphics Card. But if you want to go on for very heavy inensity graphics then you go for an Graphics Card with a minimum memory of 256MB.Whatever decision you make, make it wisely.

With gaming he will definitely need a graphics card - on board can barely handle any games that have been released in the past two years or so. I suppose two RAID disks would be viable, but then it really depends on his budget again :lol: