xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
htdefiant

Outlook 2003 Email Settings and Web-based e-mail

I am not sure weather this goes under computer software or here...My synagogue runs a website, and I often get the question- "How do I check my mail on Microsoft Outlook 2003?"I have no idea :lol: Do I go to: Tools -> Account Settings -> Add New Account then choose a server type? HTTPS or IMAP? Or something else? Also, some data on the synagogue mail server:Incoming POP3 Server mail.domain.orgOutgoing (SMTP) Server mail.domain.orgLogin The e-mail address you use (e.g. user@domain.com)Thanks for the help!

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Edited title. Moved to Software.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

You should go to Tools>Accounts>Add Newchoose POP3 and the enter your account infoUSER INFOName:UserMail Address:user@domain.comSERVER INFOIncoming: mail.domain.orgOutgoing: mail.domain.orSESSION START INFOUsername: user@domain.comPassword **** (your pass) (tick to remember pass)PS: Don?t search for the things literally, because my Outlook 2003 version is in spanish and I?m translating it more or less... hope it helps you.

The only free service I know that is HTTP enabled with Outlook is Hotmail. All others have stopped supporting external email program accessing the web-based mail server. (Xisto being the other exception)So, using HOTMAIL as an example, when you delete a message from Hotmail online you no longer can see that message when you connect your Outlook to Hotmail account. When you set your Outlook to "leave message in the server" option then you can delete it from your Outlook (or a.k.a. local storage) and still have the same message in Hotmail account.

when you delet your emails through web client when you return to your outlook you will notice that your mail is still in your inbox. to refresh your folder in outlook you have to run Sens/Receive to synchronize your outlook pc folders with you mail folders on net and then you will see that the deleted mail is no longer in you outlook folders.if the deleted message is moved to trashcan you can have it in your trash can folder in outlook.It is just the matter of synchronization.

The only free service I know that is HTTP enabled with Outlook is Hotmail. All others have stopped supporting external email program accessing the web-based mail server. (Xisto being the other exception)

Hotmail used to provide free POP3 service to your email client. However that was the past. Now only those who subscribed to Hotmail Premium gets the service. Hence it's no longer free. There are alternatives to this. Yahoo Mail and GMail are still providing POP3 services for free. You will need to enable the service in the control panel in your account there.

Thanks! Another thing- lets say I check my mail on the web and delete a message. When I return to my home computer with Outlook, where, if at all, will the message be?

All your mails actually stored on the mail server. Whatever you've got on your email client, Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express, are just copies of the mail delivered into your computer. If you've configurated correctly, you can delete those mails from the mail server after you've downloaded or retrieved them into your mail client to view them offline.

A web mail is a direct connection to the mail server. Hence whatever you've done on your web mail account is hence directly processed. Deleting a mail on the web mail interface will remove the mail from the server. Hence since the mail client is required to connect to the mail server to grab those mail into your computer, the deleted mail will not be downloaded as it already does not exist on the server. Unless you've downloaded your mails to your mail client, you may delete those mails on the mail server without affecting those already on your computer.

You Can Use outlook with Gmailconfig Go and make one account in outlook usernmae : your google usernamepassword : your google passwordSmtp : mail.gmail.compop : mail.gmail.comthen go totools -> account - > mail tab - > your account - > advanced tab - >use 465 port for smtp and user 995 for popthen check on the ssl