xisto Community
cops

Gmail Is Too Creepy

Frankly Google is as we speak (or type, same thing) is fighting the supreme court to keep information they have gathered private. Now I assume the case has nothing to do with email. But if they are willing to fight to keep information that any intrested party could gather themselves (web crawler information) private then I have no fear of them keeping my emails.You may also note that there is no way to contact the makers of this website (that I can see anyway)

A lot of the stuff on that site is wrong. The example of bad ad-matching is weird, and I can't even understand what they are talking about. For most normail users of Gmail who don't spam or talk about anything illegal, they should be fine.

I think the article is completely wrong.First of all, I don't even understand "bad ad-matching", I mean AdBlock on Firefox can block Google Ads. Who cares?Secondly, personal info can be searched out in profiles such as MySpace, Bebo, hi5, Yahoo! 360, Blogger and a lot of other sites. Name, address, phone number, postal/ZIP code can be searched in phone book listings. So that is available anyways.Google will take over the world's information system someday, and no-one will go against it.

hey i agree that its creepy but who cares about personal info being with them..many sites have.

hey i agree that its creepy but who cares about personal info being with them..many sites have.

Yeah that's right, I thing I gave some of my personal information to Xisto when I signed up, and no offence but I think I trust google more.

Umm... I believe something like this has sparked publicity before... The privacy issue has been around long since Gmail started. I think the article was a bit too exaggerated. I agree with FirefoxRocks. The ad part they discussed about isn't that controversial. It has nothing to do with Gmail whatsoever, but with Adsense ads! Obviously, they're going to say anything to put Gmail down... and being desperate at that... the ads have nothing to do with it. :)I agree with Kioku. As long as you have nothing to hide, it's all good. You needn't be paranoid over this.

I just found this topic after being a little disturbed by how quickly the relevant ads for anything I've just sent off pop up in the RSS feed space. I've found some really strange ads during the time I've used gmail, I don't really mind too much, I think they are very curious. For example, there's so much space in gmail that I like to use it as sort of a notepad and I often send letters to myself, to-do lists and such. Sometimes I'll look back on my checklist and find that they've placed ads for suicide counselers in there! "How to win back the girl who dumped you, even if she doesn't want you back." I didn't know my grocery list was so morbid.As for having any personsal info shared or any of my stuff read, I might be paranoid or something- but I've always just believed that anything that I send over the internet is not going to ever be completely safe.

Gmail has been working great for me. I like how it doesn't delete things and everything is saved for me to access from anywhere. I wish there was some way Outlook or Outlook Express could do that, it's a pain having to be on the right computer to get mail.