xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
itssami

Is Invision Power Board 1.3.1 Free ?

No its not free, its illegal to use anything below 2.0.0 Final. I have personal experience and stuff and I would not test the powers that be. :) I would buy a copy of 2.1.6 and use that or 2.1.5. They are supported by IPB and are the most legal version thats out there.

If you are hosting anything other or below the 2.0.0 Final then you are using an illegal board, and IPS takes illegal stuff and priracy very seriously! So don't mess with them, you will also have your hosting banned if you host them here. You can read a topic I started and read some of BuffaloHELPs replies and then read what IPS sent me.

Thank you for contacting Invision Power Services.

Debbie has responded to your Invision Power Services request.

-----------------------------------------------

Hello,

If you downloaded the trial version prior to IPS halting it's release, it is legal to use on a trial basis. In the event that you decide to use the software full time, therfore no longer being a trial, you are required to purchase a full license.

If the software was downloaded from a source other then IPS it is illegal to install and use.

If you have any further questions please contact us so that we may assist you further.

Regards,

Debbie Ruff

IPS Customer Relations

Peterborough, UK

Invision Power Services, Inc.

-----------------------------------------------

To respond to this message, please visit this URL:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/=########

That should help you out. A "trial bases" is for testing and previewing the software, not for hosting a forum for people to talk and stuff. Its for 1 or 2 people to look @ the ACP and install and test mods. You best bet is to purchase a copy.
Edited by MaineFishing45 (see edit history)

Ah i really got my hopes up that i could use an old copy of 1.31 final i had here but i guess not. Grrr. As far as i can gather from the posts on the official site: if you downloaded it ages ago and use it its no problem. But you must NOT distribute it. I have had an old copy on my pc for years and i want to use it here but i will just keep it at another location as it seems to be a problem. I think they would prefer that you only used 1.31 as a trial but i don't think legally there is a problem using it for ages. And also it has so many mod for the 1.3x series it seems a shame to waste all the good code and mods. I really can't afford to buy it and will continuue to use my old free copy (on another host) but i would really like to move it to my account here. So its totally out of the question? Mmm

PhpBB are releasing a new version soon, phpBB 3 or Olympus. There have already been 2 betas for it and its looking great :DHold on for that, its definately going to be good.

When I looked at PhpBB2, it looked like a direct copycat of IPB 1.x. IPB 2.x, however smashes any feature PhpBB has to offer except for price. If mods are still 10-30 minute script edits, themes aren't easily uploadable from a single archive from the CP, subforums are impossible without mods, and "last post in" on the default template I will most cretainly not get phpBB 3.

Obviously this question has been anwsered. Any further question about IPB 1.3.x please PM me. Any other question please create a new topic.Thank you, closed.